1/2 vs 3/4 impact guns

Nwcid

With the big truck comes the need for bigger tools.  

I have a ton of Dewalt stuff and batteries so I am looking at their tools.  I was originally looking at their 3/4" drive but I do not have any 3/4" drive sockets, 

3/4" https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/impact-drivers-and-wrenches/20v-max-xr-high-torque-34-impact-wrench-w-hog-ring-retention-pin-anvil-bare/dcf897b

Then I saw their 1/2" drive gun has the same specs, 

1/2" https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/impact-drivers-and-wrenches/20v-max-xr-high-torque-12-in-impact-wrench-w-hog-ring-anvil-bare/dcf899hb

It looks like I can easily find 1/2 drive sockets up to 1-1/2", which should be enough to cover what I need to do on the truck.  So if they have the same torque rating why would someone pick the 3/4 over the 1/2 drive?

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

I have 1/2, 3/4 and, 1" impacts    For wheels I suggest at least a 3/4 drive.    While the torque may be the same on the anvil of the two, there is more mass in the 3/4 sockets.      Just buy the sockets you need.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

If you want real torque out of a battery impact, the Milwaukee M18 Fuel is the way to go.  The new one will even communicate with a smart phone.  1400 ft/lbs nut removal.

The big jobs like truck lug nuts will need a torque amplifier.  They are relatively inexpensive and will safe you a lot of grief.  

If you get a torque amplifier then any make of battery powered impact will finish the job, allowing you to stay Dewalt.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

1 hour ago, NeverEasy said:

If you want real torque out of a battery impact, the Milwaukee M18 Fuel is the way to go.

X 2.  I use mine more than I thought I would, but there are still times I need to get out the breaker bar and a long pipe.  I also have the little M12 Fuel in 3/8".  I like that it's small and fits in tight places.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, ARGO said:

3/4" isn't really good unless you have more than truck air PSI to run it, I have one.

Only if you are using air tools.........

I know the Milwaukee has 200lbs more torque, but I am not investing in a whole different set of batteries and charger(s).  I am too deep into the yellow 🤔

I do appreciate the responses. 

Is there a difference in performance in impact guns with the same output, but different anvils?

I will look at the multipliers for sure.  I am just thinking overall, not just lug nuts.  I have to remove my commercial hitch still, do some add ons.  I can use it for other project too. 

1 hour ago, Nwcid said:

I know the Milwaukee has 200lbs more torque, but I am not investing in a whole different set of batteries and charger(s).  I am too deep into the yellow 🤔

I do appreciate the responses. 

Is there a difference in performance in impact guns with the same output, but different anvils?

I will look at the multipliers for sure.  I am just thinking overall, not just lug nuts.  I have to remove my commercial hitch still, do some add ons.  I can use it for other project too. 

The extra mass of the 3/4 Vs 1/2 points to longevity and because of the greater mass, higher inertia.     If the wheels were put on with a 1" impact and have been on for a while, you will likely need a torque multiplier to break them loose.      The hitch bolts not so much, but rust is the enemy here.     The 1/2" guns at max output are at the limits of the metallurgical limits, a 3/4" adds a bit of cushion.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

7 hours ago, ARGO said:

3/4" isn't really good unless you have more than truck air PSI to run it, I have one.

The air pressure is not the issue, the volume is the problem. Trucks aren’t plumbed to provide the volume of air a 3/4 impact will draw. Many of the newer trucks have compressors that can keep up, but you would have to be plumbed direct to the wet tank.

Only once have I needed to remove a wheel and could not. It cost me $100 to have a service truck to come out and replace my valve core. I have since fixed that issue. It's nice to have all the tools necessary to preform the various things, but is it cost effective? I don't think so. My Humble Opinion Only. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 12/21/2020 at 9:03 PM, Nwcid said:

With the big truck comes the need for bigger tools.  

I have a ton of Dewalt stuff and batteries so I am looking at their tools.  I was originally looking at their 3/4" drive but I do not have any 3/4" drive sockets, 

3/4" https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/impact-drivers-and-wrenches/20v-max-xr-high-torque-34-impact-wrench-w-hog-ring-retention-pin-anvil-bare/dcf897b

Then I saw their 1/2" drive gun has the same specs, 

1/2" https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/impact-drivers-and-wrenches/20v-max-xr-high-torque-12-in-impact-wrench-w-hog-ring-anvil-bare/dcf899hb

It looks like I can easily find 1/2 drive sockets up to 1-1/2", which should be enough to cover what I need to do on the truck.  So if they have the same torque rating why would someone pick the 3/4 over the 1/2 drive?

More heavy duty. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

4 hours ago, lappir said:

Only once have I needed to remove a wheel and could not. It cost me $100 to have a service truck to come out and replace my valve core. I have since fixed that issue. It's nice to have all the tools necessary to preform the various things, but is it cost effective? I don't think so. My Humble Opinion Only. 

Rod

But it saves you hours on waiting on that service call. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

14 hours ago, rynosback said:

But it saves you hours on waiting on that service call. 

Got lucky and didn't have to wait even an hour. I stopped at a Service Station and they knew who to call when I explained my issue. The truck came right away from a neighboring town. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

As much as I hate extra batteries/systems, it really looks like the Milwaukee 3/4 dive is the way to go.  Also it seems more available at the moment. 

• 4 weeks later...

For now I am on hold with this one.  I think it is more a want than a need.  

At the moment that ~$500 can be better spent on getting the HDT setup.  

6 hours ago, Chalkie said:

For what it is worth, my son works for a general contractor outfit and the only power tools they allow in their toolboxes are Milwaukee (both corded and cordless) because they are the most reliable and durable.

or the more likely scenario... the contractor gets the best spiff on Milwaukee

we've been in construction for decades, the top tier tools are very close to each other; kickbacks typically are the deciding factor in determining what color of tool rides in the trucks

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

4 hours ago, Nwcid said:

For now I am on hold with this one.  I think it is more a want than a need.  

At the moment that ~$500 can be better spent on getting the HDT setup.  

Can I break 60 lug nuts loose by hand in the hot Florida sun?  Yes, do I ever want to do it again? Nope.  I have the 1/2 drive Milwaukee Fuel with the friction ring, it will break them all loose. I just have to hold on tight.

oG6cu6bl.jpg

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 1/25/2021 at 2:41 PM, steiny93 said:

or the more likely scenario... the contractor gets the best spiff on Milwaukee

we've been in construction for decades, the top tier tools are very close to each other; kickbacks typically are the deciding factor in determining what color of tool rides in the trucks

I have a brother who works for a large plumbing contractor.  Hundreds of employees.  All they use is Milwaukee, because my brother does the tool ordering and he gets  lots of "demo" tools, some of which are proto-types they want to test.

That said, I too have a M-18 Fuel in 1/2".  It won't always break the lug nuts on a big truck.  That's when the breaker bar and the 6' pipe come out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net