Simplfying hookup

Jinx & Wayne

I've been looking at ways to simplify hooking up to my 5er.  On non-concrete pad sites I've started marking the truck position for hookup.  When I drop the RV I drive forward just far enough to clear the RV with the tailgate of the truck down. I then put two nail and collar mat anchors in the ground (using shorter nails than the mat anchors), one aligned with each of the left side tires and one inch out.  The collars are painted so they are easier to see.  It is easier to line up with these than with the hitch while backing up.  Once I am lined up it is just a straight backup to the hitch (but still look, first.)  I am thinking gorilla tape might work on concrete, but haven't tried it.  I've used two color reflective tape on the hitch and have a camera, but the anchors seem to work best.

Is anyone out there doing anything similar that might work on concrete? 

image.jpeg.36b6b2dcb6907d848305fd1fd476df12.jpegMat anchors

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Darryl,

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I just use the shiny things on the doors. Works pretty good.

You mean those things have a use beyond checking to see whether you have food stuck between your teeth?  Who knew!?!?

Don’t you find reattaching them every time to be tedious?

Jinx and Wayne

At first blush, this looks like a solution searching for a problem. Perhaps I am missing something.

When I get ready to hookup, I back the truck up using the rearview camera to be centered on the rig. The DW then opens the tailgate and I back closer. I can see both the hitch and the kingpin in the rearview mirror and when I am a few inches out the DW adjusts the height of the trailer as needed and I complete backing and hooking. If I need to I can follow all these steps by myself but it involves more in and out of the truck. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Not everyone has a rearview camera.

I painted a white line on the center of my kingpin to make lining it up with the hitch jaws easier.  Thankfully I have a wireless remote for my landing gear that works from the driver's seat.  

I use my rearview to get the jaws close, make sure the kingpin is close to centered and at the correct height, then back in.  

I am solo and no one to spot for me hitching up. When I had a 5er and a Ford F-350 my back up camera was in the handle of the tailgate that was down and all it showed was the ground. I used the head rest of the center position in the back seat. As long as the head rest was lined up with the king pin in my inside rear view mirror I knew I was centered and just kept backing up till the king pin caught the hitch jaws. Easy pisey 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

3 hours ago, Twotoes said:

When I had a 5er and a Ford F-350 my back up camera was in the handle of the tailgate that was down and all it showed was the ground.

Which is why I back up as I do before I lower the tailgate. I use the lock on the center of the front bay as the centering point in the backup camera. 

I am seriously all about aids. I saw a friend that made a stop block so that when he was unhooked he could back right up and never worry about hitting his rig. I made one and have carried ever since. I don't always need it but when I need it I have it. 

I just don't see one here, but, hey, whatever works for each person is the best solution for them. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I have a gooseneck so I use 2 cameras on magnets one in front of the ball and one to the side of the ball, easiest I have ever found, I prefer to hitch by my self a helper is way harder than the cameras. When done I put those cameras a way and plug in the 2 cameras ment too watch the horses behinds in the trailer and the ones in the cars.

To each their own and whatever works for you.  

At one point I bought a set of the cheap magnetic balls, for lining up together.  I think I used them 2x and they have been riding in the toolbox since.  

About half the time my wife helps me back, but I am not sure it is any easier than doing it myself.  

When by myself I just line up with the trailer and back up.  Once my hitch is into the bed I stop, get out and look at my hitch position, I then make the minor adjustment I need to be right on and back the rest of the way up.  

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

Yes, I can back up with mirrors and camera  Nonetheless, I don't always get it lined up right the first or even second time. And some mornings when I hook up it is raining.  Some mornings when I have a long day on the road I want to save time.  Marks on the ground are easier to line up because you just look out of the window and look directly at them.  You can line up the night before (when it is not raining) without changing the trailer height.  Usually I am out of the truck only once to double check the alignment once the trailer is raised.  At most it takes one adjustment of an inch or so.  I've found this system is easier for me.  I'm looking for a way to apply the system to concrete sites without permanently marking the concrete.

Jinx and Wayne

I have neither a camera or the ability to see my hitch in the mirror.  I back up till i think i am close and get out and look.  If i have to move the truck left or right an inch or two i will mark the tire position with my heel in the gravel or lay something on the ground so i have a reference point to move the truck left or right. But i always get out and look and sometimes i do it so many times that it is more exercise than i get all day!!😄

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

GOAL, repeat GOAL, repeat GOAL. Repetition is the best way to simplify hooking up. No two places will be the same, but the view you have in your mirror will always be the same when you are in the correct position. Took me a long time to figure out why there was GOAL written on a lot of truck mirrors in truck stop parking lots. 

Get Out And Look is the mantra. If you are looking in your mirrors and have not already preformed a check of the area behind you by walking it you need to get out and look. Once that is clear review what you see in your mirror and position your truck where you think it should be. Get out and look. Determine if what you think you want to find is really what you see and adjust. I can put the pin where I want it side to side, but still have to get out and look to make sure if I'm close enough to let the trailer down to the plate and slide in for the latch. It gets easier each time. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

17 minutes ago, lappir said:

GOAL, repeat GOAL, repeat GOAL.

For me the phrase I is GOALS.  Get Out And Look, Stupid. It is written on my checklist

Folks, I know how to back up using mirrors, cameras, GOALS and a checklist.  I've been doing it full time for a couple of years.  I'm glad all y'all know how, too. 

The question was not about how to hookup.  I'm not looking for lessons or advice on how to hookup.  I don't use the tire alignment marks as a substitute for mirrors or cameras or GOALS or a checklist; I use tire alignment IN ADDITION to those things.  For me having marks to line up tires makes hookup faster and more pleasant, particularly in bad weather.  Don't do it if you don't want to do it.  The question was ideas about how not to permanently mark the concrete in campgrounds. Apparently, you are as stumped as I am.  So tape it is.

Thanks. Remember GOALS.

Jinx and Wayne

On 10/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, 2gypsies said:

We painted a white line on both parts of the hitch.  We were able to use the rear truck window to align both lines.  Worked perfectly.

Exactly! I initially painted them for 5'2" DW but soon discovered it was an excellent idea for us both.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961