Closures and travel restrictions due to Corona Virus

So, I'm not seeing much discussion about the impact of closures and quarantines due to Corona virus.... We are reading about closures of Disney Parks, Museums in DC, and places like Busch Gardens, Monticello and Colonial Williamsburg, even some state parks closed for overnight camping,  store closures and travel restrictions. Concern is that this is only the beginning, and as fulltimers we can't just "go home".

We are trying to decide whether to cancel our summer travel plans (heading up the east coast with reservations currently thru 6/15)....do we go ahead and cancel and just hunker down here in Alabama ?

We are ofcourse worried about campgrounds being full and not having anywhere to go, or going and being quaranteened. What if they implement inter-state travel restrictions ? We had a very limited experience with this in Georgia last year when Floridians were evacuating due to hurricane Dorian, all campgrounds were full, no gas at the pump, grocery store shelves empty, no water, TP etc available to purchase... we had to stay in various parking lots... but that was only for a few days, this can go on for months.

We don't want to jump on the "panic" wagon, but at the same time we want to be proactive and prudent.

What are all you fellow fulltimers doing with respect to changing plans etc? 

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of shows I would like to attend have cancelled, due to my family/wife getting nervous we have cancelled our Seattle trip in April.  I think we are going to spend the spring/summer boondocking in our state, going to RV dealerships during the week (looking for new camper) etc.  We plan on avoiding anywhere with crowds.  If it were not for my wife's underlying health issues, we would just go as normal but....

This virus is not as bad as the flu that happens every year, media has just hyped this up as well as other groups but I'm not going there.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 hour ago, Bill&Anneli said:

We don't want to jump on the "panic" wagon, but at the same time we want to be proactive and prudent.

We too have plans for summer, with our planned departure in May. Everyone has to make their own decisions but in my opinion it is much too early to start canceling plans for summer. While the potential for major problems with this COVIC-19 is far greater than with the annual influenza outbreak, it is really the unknown which is creating the nervousness of our health care community. Probably the most dangerous thing at present is the part of the population who are not taking things seriously, even though I don't see the need for panic or hoarding. For me the fact that it is being taken seriously and that people are taking actions to curb this before it becomes a national disaster is very encouraging and I expect that we will see things under control within a month or two. For that reason I am not changing any of our plans, yet. I can tell you that as of today, plans for Escapade are proceeding as normal.

I think that you should at least wait for May 15 to start changing your plans. We will all know a great deal more about the impact of COVID-19 at that time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think it depends on what kinds of places you want to travel.  Avoid heavily populated stops such as national parks or big cities.  There are plenty of gorgeous places to visit that are off the main drag.  Pick small campgrounds with minimal activities or none; not big resorts.  From your campground go out on your own and explore the countryside.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The typical run of a corona virus is three months. The main concern is that a typical curve will mean hospitals will be overloaded causing increased deaths. The precautions we are being encouraged to take are meant to flatten the peak while extending the time so we all have a better chance of surviving. If we all do what we are being asked this will last longer but be less severe. Many of us are in the vulnerable groups. My age, high blood pressure, and diabetes means I have three strikes against me if I get exposed to COVID-19. Please, act accordingly.

You may want to watch this for the real deal: 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Many sports, NBA, March Madness, MLB etc have canceled or postponed their season, many attractions, Disney, Legoland, Bush Gardens, Universal Studios etc. have temporarily closed and now I have even heard that all Apple retail stores are closing. Will the Federal Government close the National Parks in the near future? I hope not, but if they don’t would you go visit?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Nina, from Wheeling It, is in France and says the USA is just starting to see what they are already experiencing in Europe. Her advice is to choose where you want to wait this out and go there NOW!

https://wheelingit.us/2020/03/15/covid-19-needs-action-decide-where-you-wanna-be-and-go-there-now/

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I received an email from the Georgia DNR instructing us on how to check in to our next park by phone so we could go directly to our site without stopping at the office. When I called the office about our arrival tomorrow, they said I was only the second person to call them about it, and they had received no guidance from DNR headquarters as to how to handle it. As far as they knew, I still need to check in at the office to sign for our discounts and pick up our site tag and car pass. Left hand, meet right hand?

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

8 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

This virus is not as bad as the flu that happens every year, media has just hyped this up as well as other groups but I'm not going there.

Wrong. Compared with seasonal flu, COVID-19 has a much higher death rate, especially those older than 60. Also, the is no vaccine to prevent COVID-19 and no treatment after you get it.

See Coronavirus Report from WHO (March 6) page 2, 2nd paragraph from the bottom. Seasonal flu has about a 0.1% death rate, coronavirus 3 - 4%.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

Nina, from Wheeling It, is in France and says the USA is just starting to see what they are already experiencing in Europe. Her advice is to choose where you want to wait this out and go there NOW!

https://wheelingit.us/2020/03/15/covid-19-needs-action-decide-where-you-wanna-be-and-go-there-now/

Linda

While your "Science Mike" YouTube video and Wheeling It blog are interesting, they are no substitutes for the CDC and WHO:

CDC COVID-19 Website

World Health Organization (WHO)

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Illinois governor closed all state parks here so we had to leave this afternoon and find an open campground. Now all restaurants and bars in the state will close for 2 weeks. Only curb side pick up is allowed. What sense does it make to close a state park with 3 campers in it, no hiking or fishing or being on the state property at all. 

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

While your "Science Mike" YouTube video and Wheeling It blog are interesting, they are no substitutes for the CDC and WHO:

CDC COVID-19 Website

World Health Organization (WHO)

Um. Your sources are good for those who are interested in the technical aspects of the disease. Wheeling It helps understand what this can mean for full time RVers. Science Mike explains the technical in terms everyone can understand. Science Mike is the one who taught me the importance of flattening the infection curve--the why behind the hand washing and self-isolating, etc. which helped me understand how important this is for everyone.

10 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Um. Your sources are good for those who are interested in the technical aspects of the disease. Wheeling It helps understand what this can mean for full time RVers. Science Mike explains the technical in terms everyone can understand. Science Mike is the one who taught me the importance of flattening the infection curve--the why behind the hand washing and self-isolating, etc. which helped me understand how important this is for everyone.

The CDC has straightforward, easy to understand info on coronavirus, but Science Mike and Wheelin It are more "approachable" I guess.

Just remember that neither is an expert so you're getting second- and third-hand information. Also, the Wheeling It couple are living in Europe.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

the Wheeling It couple are living in Europe.

I'm guessing you haven't actually been reading what I post. I acknowledged the value of your links. I'm not sure why you feel a need to denigrate mine.The fact that Wheeling It is posting from Europe was, for me, a plus. It means they have been experiencing what is about to hit us so they gave us a good heads up. And the fact that both of my links provide information as to why, not just what, I see to be of value in motivating people to do what the CDC and WHO say needs to be done. BTW, both my links made reference to data from yours. Neither of my links made up their own facts. Why are you so scared of data being presented through multiple sources?  Your sources say wash your hands; Science Mike shows you how to do that effectively. How can that additional information be a bad thing? I thought I was doing a good job washing my hands until I saw Science Mike demonstrate a proper technique.

Linda

The biggest thing on my mind is how to handle being a full-timer with the constraints right now, and the comment that I should find a place to hunker down for 3 months, like right away, does make me think twice about my immediate plans.

Next week (yes, it’s Monday so now it’s next week rather than the week after) I have dental, medical, tax and maintenance appointments in California, the last place I would want to be stuck at for 3 months.  Do I cancel all but the maintenance one and then make a quick 2-3 day trip over for it, returning to Nevada and heading northeast from there?  I’m concerned about getting supplies, and it’s getting harder to find basic supplies.  It’s not like I can buy in bulk and carry it all in a small travel trailer with 1300 lb cargo capacity.

Edited by fpmtngal

We are changing nothing ...yet. We are due to leave our seasonal site in Florida within 30 days with reservations made  along the way as usual. The worst that can happen is that we will have to stay in Florida. We are not at this time concerned about things that have not happened. We are near Disneyworld  and all the attractions which is the worst place to be during a virus outbreak. We will take action on what happens when it happens.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

12 hours ago, Zulu said:

Wrong. Compared with seasonal flu, COVID-19 has a much higher death rate, especially those older than 60.

Yes, you are!  How many deaths EVERY YEAR from the flu and how many deaths from covid?  Don't care about your percentages, I care about the end result.  FLU kills more every year.  I'm not interested in cdc or any other government spin on this crap.  Believe what you want, YOU will not change my mind, period.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

25 minutes ago, richfaa said:

We are changing nothing ...yet. We are due to leave our seasonal site in Florida within 30 days with reservations made  along the way as usual. The worst that can happen is that we will have to stay in Florida. We are not at this time concerned about things that have not happened. We are near Disneyworld  and all the attractions which is the worst place to be during a virus outbreak. We will take action on what happens when it happens.

We'll be doing the same^ . 

Only , we're in Texas . 

Goes around , comes around .

Welp, ND has joined the panic.  All schools ordered shut down til 20 March, NO public gatherings above 50 people allowed. 

I'm sure hoping this does not drive ppl to my boondocking spots, I don't like company when camping on a nice, stocked lake.

Edited by NDBirdman

5 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

Yes, you are!  How many deaths EVERY YEAR from the flu and how many deaths from covid?  Don't care about your percentages, I care about the end result.  FLU kills more every year.  I'm not interested in cdc or any other government spin on this crap.  Believe what you want, YOU will not change my mind, period.

Percentages matter.  .1% for flu means 1 death for every 1000 cases.  This strain of CoronaVirus is 2-3% (depending on what you read) so that is 20-30 deaths for every 1000 cases...It's ok to decide you aren't going to panic, but all of these people acting like it's nothing will be the ones clogging up the healthcare system when the folks who did the right thing need to get help.  Frankly, it's selfish.

1 minute ago, jpcoll01 said:

Percentages matter.  .1% for flu means 1 death for every 1000 cases.  This strain of CoronaVirus is 2-3% (depending on what you read) so that is 20-30 deaths for every 1000 cases...It's ok to decide you aren't going to panic, but all of these people acting like it's nothing will be the ones clogging up the healthcare system when the folks who did the right thing need to get help.  Frankly, it's selfish.

I see there is a lot of Chicken Littles running around.  I feel bad for those that catch it, AND the flu.  YES, we are taking precautions by staying out of town and away from people but that is pretty normal for us anyway.  Those that are in panic mode are not the brightest folks around.  The ones taking caution are more stable.  Panic only breeds more panic.  As far as selfish, your dayum right we are!  Seriously, I don't give a poop about Chicken Littles.

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

Yes, flu does kill lots of people every year. But most adults have some acquired immunity to the seasonal flu by virtue of having lived for a number of decades and having been exposed to it.  Therefore, not everyone who is exposed to the flu will catch it.  Our hospital capacity has been "sized" to meet the normal demands made on it by common diseases such as the flu.

This strain of coronavirus is new; no one has any immunity to it.  Therefore, most people who are exposed will catch it.  Yes, some will hardly notice it and others will become very ill.  Those who need hospitalization will encounter a health care system that hasn't been "sized" to deal with yet another major disease.  The most serious problem feared by CDC and others is overloading of hospitals to the point where doctors have to make decisions as to who gets treated and who doesn't.  

You're free to believe what you wish, but I hope others, with more open minds, pay attention to the request for social distancing.  If done effectively social distancing has the potential to reduce the "rate" at which people are infected. It won't necessarily reduce the number of cases but it will spread them out over time so they don't overload the health care system as much.

I hope everyone stays safe; being inconvenienced for a month or two is better than being sick IMHO.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I'm not interested in cdc or any other government spin on this crap.  Believe what you want, YOU will not change my mind, period.

So who do you believe for information on Coronavirus?

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

If your travels are held up here are somethings you can do while you wait:

I would prefer an abundance of caution in advance and hear all the complaints afterwards that it wasn't as bad a predicted than to not act and incur the worst case scenarios.

Alternatives to our travels: