Hitching up, do you use a camera?

KD4UPL

When I was a full time OTR truck driver and I had to hitch up a trailer I basically just lined up the sides of the tractor with the sides of the trailer in the mirrors. With an RV FW hitch being so much smaller and perhaps the trailer being a bit more delicate does this still work? There's no back window to look out of with an HDT like there is with a pick up truck. Are you guys using some kind of video camera set up to line up the hitch?

Yes, we use a camera. The landing jacks on most 5th wheel campers will not take a lot of abuse plus no need to shake up everything in the trailer. Plus since you have to unhook and then level the trailer, there is no guarantee that you have the trailer at the right height again to hook up.

Originally for many years we just used a magnetic mount Swift Hitch camera that I got at an auction for cheap. Now with our new trailer, I installed a 5 camera system (only using 4 of the cameras at the moment) and one of those it the hitch camera and we have a fairly large screen now too.

image.png.9abd20b9b5aeb689b84986d29220a893.png

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

No camera. I'm a tight wad.  I do same as hitching to a commercial trailer, but much gentler.  Get it close and either go take a look, or have another set of eyes (wife).  We usually nail it first try, but sometimes.......  And yes, rv's are pretty dainty compared to the commercial stuff.  No bang'n around with the hitch.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

7 hours ago, rickeieio said:

No camera. I'm a tight wad.  I do same as hitching to a commercial trailer, but much gentler.  Get it close and either go take a look, or have another set of eyes (wife).  We usually nail it first try, but sometimes.......  And yes, rv's are pretty dainty compared to the commercial stuff.  No bang'n around with the hitch.

No camera for the first year. Lining up the hitch side to side is similar to a commercial trailer, the issue you have is getting the height of the trailer correct. I Usually had to climbed out of the tractor to take a peak at the height when I was getting close if I didn't have an extra set of eyes to make the adjustment.  We now have a camera which is nice and gives you the ability to see the hitch connect and lock but they aren't necessary.  With your experience you won't have any problems. 

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

12 hours ago, KD4UPL said:

When I was a full time OTR truck driver and I had to hitch up a trailer I basically just lined up the sides of the tractor with the sides of the trailer in the mirrors. With an RV FW hitch being so much smaller and perhaps the trailer being a bit more delicate does this still work? There's no back window to look out of with an HDT like there is with a pick up truck. Are you guys using some kind of video camera set up to line up the hitch?

Yes I have a camera. Actually I have 2. One on the back of the 5er for backing and one at the hitch for hitching. And both of mine are hard wired.

Bite the bullet and buy good ones. I also use the hitch camera when I'm bob tailing.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Keep thinking I should add one, but the mirrors keep working. Usually 1 GOAL as I get close, then connection. GOAL = Get Out And Look.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I dont have a hitch camera. There is a back up camera at the top of the cab. The picture quality really sucks thou. So I don't even look at it anymore. Just go by feel basically. Follow your instincts just don't slam the king pin like some dock Jockeys do. And all will be fine.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

4 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

I dont have a hitch camera. There is a back up camera at the top of the cab. The picture quality really sucks thou. So I don't even look at it anymore. Just go by feel basically. Follow your instincts just don't slam the king pin like some dock Jockeys do. And all will be fine.

I used to have the camera on the back of the cab but when the smart was added it blocked out the view to the hitch. I moved it right down by the hitch and all is good.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I use a camera. Actually 4. I tape a center line white and center line on Hitch also. Line up in camera. . Others are passenger side of our Teton, rear of Teton and last on mirror of Freightshaker capturing oncoming traffic on entrance ramps.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

23 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

like some dock Jockeys do

My livelihood is based on those kind of drivers.  I specialize in dock equipment and those guys cause plenty of worn parts which I am more that glad to replace or repair.  Yes they are tough on equipment.

Marcel

23 hours ago, rpsinc said:

My livelihood is based on those kind of drivers.  I specialize in dock equipment and those guys cause plenty of worn parts which I am more that glad to replace or repair.  Yes they are tough on equipment.

We have another HDT member who is a mechanic on fork lifts and spotter trucks. He replaces lots of blown out 5th wheel plates.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:36 AM, hone eagle said:

I do as you, line up the cab side to trailer  then gently back and ........ click  click   easy.I was going to get a camera  might still get one but after almost 10 years with out .............proly not

X2

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

For my rv king pin trailer I have old habits - I back in using mirrors, stop, get out and have a gander at pin height and alignment, adjust if necessary, connect trailer brakes energy supply, apply trailer brakes with trailer brake control (Johnson bar, spike, trolley valve) and back into pin. etc

I have a rear camera on the truck camper rig and it makes backing into a pain in the ass ball hitch a breeze...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Use two Rear View Safety wired cameras and use them on every trip.  Trailer connections made much easier and backing in general is much safer.  Peace of mind and safety made this a good investment; wired system makes for clear pictures.  My camera's work with no light and have speakers which are turned off.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Hitch on top of drom for SA during any backing, also one directly in front of the hitch.  Both are great additions for Situational Awareness when backing, plus the one on the Drom allows us to keep an eye on the Smart car, even though I can see front and back in the mirrors.

Nice to have - Yes.  Essential - No.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

I tow a travel trailer, and use a camera to above the ball hitch, along with the suspension dump valve on the Volvo hitching is a breeze.

I use the connector for that camera when hitched, to connect the wired camera on the tail of the trailer when traveling. This camera is super helpful with lane changes, and tight service stations and the like.

I stole the RV haulers idea and mounted the monitor in the center of the dash after moving a few switches over closer to the steering wheel.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

• 1 month later...

I have a backup camera that is tied into my Garmin GPS, camera is hardwired for power but wirelessly transmits to GPS.  It works alright but picture is fairly poor quality.  However it allows me to be gentle on the trailer.  If I am at some sort of real awkward hitching angle, I have found that I just Facetime my wife and let her stand between the kingpin and the trailer and then I get a very high definition video of the hitch backing directly to the kingpin by viewing her feed on my phone in the cab.

I also have the Furrion camera system on my 5th wheel that allows me to see my side views and rear view behind the trailer when on the road or backing into a site....works very well.

“Hitching up, do you use a camera “?

Yes!

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 3/10/2020 at 9:36 AM, hone eagle said:

I do as you, line up the cab side to trailer  then gently back and ........ click  click   easy.I was going to get a camera  might still get one but after almost 10 years with out .............proly not

Same here.  Back the truck up to about 6" from the hitch, get out and make one final visual check, then gently back in and ......click.