2024 Escapade

kb0zke

Just saw that registration opens 10 January. We'd really like to go this time. Do we need to stay up late and try to register at 00:00:01 a.m. on the 10th in order to get in, or can we register at a more civilized time? As first-time attendees, should we volunteer for something, or just take in as much as we can?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

15 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Do we need to stay up late and try to register at 00:00:01 a.m. on the 10th in order to get in

No need for that sort of effort but I'd not wait too long. With the Escapade returning to the Sweetwater Events Center, there are a total of more than 900 full hookup RV sites available. Dry camping and handicapped camping are somewhat limited so if you want either of those it is important to act fairly quickly. In the past there were more than 900 RVs in attendance and we didn't even make use of the Boar's Tusk campground because of the distance from the events and it was not needed. You can get a feel for what is available by checking this map online. If this is your first Escapade, I do recommend that you plan to arrive on the first day of attendee parking if possible and the second day if not. Those who arrive first tend to be closer as the parking team fills the sites as people arrive so those who do not come in until the opening day will be in less desirable or more distante sites. Having been security team for the first time Escapade was at that location, I will tell you that there are no really bad sites and we had very few problems. There are shuttles available for those who are distant from events to get back and forth to the events. I also suggest that you consider signing up to put in a few volunteer hours as it will give you a little incite into what volunteers do there and you might even choose to become a part of the staff after a while. We attended 3 Escapades and volunteered which then lead to our becoming part of the staff. Unfortunately, age and health issues have kept us from attending any longer.

Edited by Kirk W
update map link

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Kirk, The link to the map did not work for me. You might want to check it out since it might be more than me. 

Linda

Linda, the link worked for me and I'm having computer issues this morning. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Thanks, Kirk. Regular camping is fine for us. By then I hope that we'll be ready to boondock, but we spent two years in WY so we know that it can get warm during the day.

David Lininger, kb0zke

• 3 weeks later...

We successfully got registered on the 10th. Didn't see anything about volunteering, but we know Steve and Anna, so we'll talk directly to them and see what they say.

David Lininger, kb0zke

35 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

Didn't see anything about volunteering,

When you get to the Escapade, once you have been parked in your site you will need to go inside and register. Near the place that you register will be the hospitality desk and there you will find a list of activities that need volunteers to help out. Each person who volunteers for 3 hours or more will then receive a special souvenir pin that can only be gotten by volunteering. There are many areas that seek volunteers to help. Usually the first thing to fill is that of driving the stretched golf carts that roam the campgrounds and activities areas to provide transportation to and from events. There are always several other areas and exactly what is there varies from year to year.

Security always needs volunteer help and that is how I got involved with that and eventually became security team leader. Of the 3 Escapades where we volunteered, I found security to have been the most rewarding and that was the reason that I accepted a position on the staff. Volunteers do things like checking for attendee badges to enter the activity areas and evening entertainment. At the entertainment there are seats reserved for the security team and the volunteers are released to those reserved seats just before the show starts. In some cases the volunteers help with traffic control at the entry gates and such, but you are never expected to be a policeman or to do anything of that sort.  After 10 years with the security team I have retired from the staff but it is some of my fondest memories.

Edited by Kirk W

Thanks, Kirk. We're planning on getting there as soon as we can, and it doesn't take long to get set up, so we'll be volunteering as quickly as we can.

David Lininger, kb0zke

• 3 weeks later...

All of a sudden we have a family reunion and a retirement right after Escapade - 700 miles away! We could probably make those if we left on Thursday, driving all day Thursday and Friday. We're not signed up for the Flaming Gorge trip since we were just there recently. What will we miss if we leave Thursday morning?

David Lininger, kb0zke

2 hours ago, kb0zke said:

All of a sudden we have a family reunion and a retirement right after Escapade - 700 miles away! We could probably make those if we left on Thursday, driving all day Thursday and Friday. We're not signed up for the Flaming Gorge trip since we were just there recently. What will we miss if we leave Thursday morning?

The Friday night entertainment is usually really good! But, probably not worth missing your two special events for.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thursday has seminars only until noon and there will be a few things in the afternoon like Dip a Chip for CARE. Thursday night is the big street fair with music and food as well as other activities. Friday is departure day so what you will miss on friday is the traffic jam that is always involved in leaving but is usually pretty much resolved by 10 or 11 am. There are no events on Friday. 

Thanks. We'll plan on leaving on Thursday morning. Probably leave a donation for CARE in lieu of the chips and dip (which we don't need anyway).

David Lininger, kb0zke

• 1 month later...

We signed up to volunteer as "parking staff" at the last Escapade.  I see that they want the parking folks to arrive several days ahead of the event itself.   Being my first time as "parking staff" I'm wondering what we will be doing for those days ahead of the event?
Anyone done that task before and can provide some info?
Thanks!

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

While I'm no longer on staff, I was part of security for 10 years and since they and parking work closely together, I think that I can answer your questions. Various staff members begin arriving on site as much as a month before it opens with the key staff positions all there by about Monday preceding the event. Assuming that the timing this year is the same, the parking team leaders will be there about a week before you and the remainder of the team arrives on Wednesday. That afternoon the team meets with the team leaders to get organized. Thursday is the day most other staff and some vendors arrive and it is used to get parking and security teams into the positions that they will be working and give that a test run. Parking is the largest team of volunteers and always has quite a few with previous experience to help. On Friday the pace increases with the remaining vendors, staff and early arrivals coming in to be parked. Saturday is the biggest day and Sunday being a partial day is also very busy. Parking team goes on duty at 7 am and closes at 2 pm each day. If past history is an indication you can expect 900+ RVs total. Once the Escapade opening takes place the members of the parking team are finished, except for the team leaders. The security team is also involved as they do traffic management and deal with late arrivals. One nice feature of the WY facility is that the gate used for arrivals is away from the main entrance so that it can be opened when parking begins and closed when parking ends for the day. It also has a much larger staging area to allow RVs to be clear of the road ae they line up for processing. 

I think that you will find that the parking team leaders do a very good job and that their key assistants are good at what they do. The team works hard but also has plenty of time for socializing and most members return for more than one Escapade. 

Edited by Kirk W

Great synopsis Kirk thanks for sharing.  We've been to an escapade in WY previous several years ago so I am familiar with the amount of coordination done to get me to the right spot.  Given how dispersed the parking was the last time, I can see why there are so many folks on the teams.

Now to find a memorable hat to wear while greeting the newcomers!

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

3 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

Given how dispersed the parking was the last time, I can see why there are so many folks on the teams.

The entry area is much farther from the actual camping site at Sweetwater than in any other venue that I was involved in but it did work out pretty well with the separate entry gate for arrivals. At Tucson the distance between arrival and parking the RVs is much less but we had difficulty preventing any backup on the public roads when arrivals were coming really fast and with early arrivals in anticipation of the beginning of parking for the day. In Tennessee and Sedalia, MO the entry is right into the campground and that presents an entirely different set of issues. Vermont was one especially unique and it was also my first time as Security Team Leader so thank heavens I had some experienced assistants and experienced Parking Team Leaders to help me out. Each time you go to a new venue the team leaders have new issues to work out and new plans to make. Both of your team leaders were part of the parking team for several years before taking over and they have done a great job. The two teams work very closely together and I really enjoyed working with them. When you have so many RVs arriving in a short period of time and with several different types of parking, it takes a big team to handle it. There will be times that you will have several full hookups,a couple wanting dry camping, someone for the solar area, perhaps a family parker, an X-scaper, and someone handicapped all arriving in rapid succession. As a result there must be people to direct each of them and others to park them in each area. The parking is the biggest job that is done completely by volunteers, in my opinion. Security is probably the longest one as they work from the start of parking until the closing of the Escapade but the team is much smaller. I am proud to have played a part in both areas. Some of the closest friends that we have today are people we got to know working with them at Escapades and the staff comradery is what we now miss most since my wife's health prevents our attending. There are friends that we only saw at Escapades. 

Edited by Kirk W

• 3 weeks later...

Kirk, I'm thinking of going this year, my 2nd escapade.

When you register, it asks which of 3 campgrounds you want. But only one, White Mountain ('close to the action!) is on the map, and it appears to be further from "the action" than another campground, Pilot Butte. Which is not on the Escapade map....?

Thanks!

PS will you be there?

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

If you look at the map online, you can see where each of the campgrounds are. There are now new directors in charge so some things may be different but most of the events and activities will be in the buildings numbered 2, 3, & 4 on that map. As you can easily see, the closest campground for full hookups is Pilot Butte with White Mountain next. Boar's Tusk is about a mile from the activity area and we didn't use it at all the first time so I don't know what the transportation situation will be but for me that would be a choice of last resort.

42 minutes ago, amarie1 said:

PS will you be there?

We will not. We missed last year for the first time in 10 years. I was part of security for 7 years and team leader for 5 but age and health issues for Pam have brought all of that to an end. I sold our travel trailer last July as it had been 1 year since it was used. I sold my truck this past fall so we have no means to take part now. I have a difficult time accepting it but we are now past 80 and slowing down. I would probably still be doing it but Pam is not able. We lived in Cheyenne, WY for 18 years and have been to that area many times. 

EDIT: I might add that there was dry camping for those who wanted that in several areas close in as well.  The triangular area just to the east of Pilot Point campground, and the small parking next to the dog park & across from Pilot point were both dry camping areas as was the green area to the east of the horse stalls. Not being on staff anymore, I do not know if the new directors will do that again. 

Edited by Kirk W
Add information.