Rodent control

kristin HUghmanick

Dryer sheets do NOT work!  We had dryer sheets all around our MH and a mouse collected a bunch and made a nice nest in a drawer out of them.  

I have no experience with the sonic repellers so keep us informed.

The way i am dealing with mice is to have baited traps in the main baggage compartment and check them weekly.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Howdy!

I’ve tried all of the above and none of them worked. What I do know that works is a good trap. I get them from Tractor Supply the ones in the link below.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tomcat-rat-snap-trap-pack-of-1?solr=1&cm_vc=-10005

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

So far I have found these to work great:

153558006-tips-healthy-cat-632x475.jpg

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

4 hours ago, kristin HUghmanick said:

I had 7 bags of fresh cab in the fifth wheel !

I assume you still have the Fifth Wheel. and I'm assuming you are referring to Mice and Raccoons.

Do slides seal tightly, a method is close all the window covering on a bright day. Then from the inside look for day light. Resolve the light entering if that is the case.

Next crawl under the RV with a can of expanding foam and fill every hole (if the hole are to big and  the rodents can pull the filling out use steel wool and window screen material}

Last get D-Con bait cubes, I use about 6, 2 each level

Good luck Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

There are so many routes mice can enter our units. Mostly finding gaps in the under-frame barrier of 1/4' (mouse skull sized) is all they need. Glue Boards, Dry sheets, Irish Spring, Sonic devises, etc do not work. When we store our unit we place several traps (unset!) with bacon or peanut butter as 'Monitoring' devices. IF mice enter and clean off food then we see it on our return. Then we 'set' the traps to catch them.  You do not want to be awakened in the middle of the night with a mouse screeching when stuck alive on a glue board. Am sharing some info from FTC about false claims on sonic devises. 

PS. Spent 20+ years in pest control before retiring.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2001/05/ftc-warns-manufacturers-and-retailers-ultrasonic-pest-control

Thanks everyone for your great responses !!! We are newbies to all this and really appreciate the info.

My husband and I went out to storage yesterday and we caught a huge grey rat who was at least 15 inches from nose to tip of tail. I had set out a Victor Rat Zapper with peanut butter inside.  It electrocutes them quickly!  I ordered one more so I think the problem is solved for the time being.   THANKS AGAIN

i learned from a trusted source (Randy A on the HDT forum), that rodents really dislike a radio playing.  The sounds interferes with their ability to hear approaching predators.  I'll be trying it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

I have determined that all of the home-made deterrents work great, It put them out to keep elephants away, haven't seen any signs of them in/around the RV - ever.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Old wives tale, a string of lights on the ground surrounding your rig. Supposedly mice won't cross a rope that is lit up with lights. Don't know if it really works but ever since I put a rope light around my RV I have not had any more mice. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

The first thing the volunteers do at the wildlife refuge in south Texas is to put lights under their RVs and under the hoods.  They swear by it for pack rats and other critters.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 1/5/2020 at 10:35 AM, kristin HUghmanick said:

We store in a country stoage area near a field but, we are on blacktop/gravel.

Like Kristin said, they in a country storage, like I also continue to do in the summer and fall for periods of time. I doubt my batteries would run 90 feet of lights 24/7 for an extended time.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

51 minutes ago, kristin HUghmanick said:

Thanks, if I did'nt have two little lap dogs, I would be down at the Shelter adopting a nice big cat!!

How is that a problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACspVDp8dc&feature=youtu.be

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King