Some happy news

I know everyone is worried, but I have a small note of happy news to share.  Dave had open heart bypass (quadruple) last Monday.   While that is hard enough, his kidneys shut down after surgery (a know possibility that we were aware of) and he required 3 days of temporary dialysis to give them a chance to recover.  It WORKED!  They started functioning again Saturday night and today he was moved out of ICU to a regular room.   Unfortunately I haven't been able to see him since Wednesday when all Pheonix area hospitals were closed to all but patients.  Thank goodness for FaceTime and ICU nurses that made sure I got to see him everyday.   Now my biggest problem is convincing him that he needs to stay until they say he can come home.   But he is up walking and the only pain he has is where they took a vein out of his leg and the leg is stiff and sore.  Just had. to share some good news for once with people.  I can't wait to get him home and then just sit and ride this out.  Stay safe everyone as we all learn to do pick-up or grocery delivery and find things to do that involve being away from people.  RVers are hardy and we will get through this.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

I know everyone is worried, but I have a small note of happy news to share.  Dave had open heart bypass (quadruple) last Monday.   While that is hard enough, his kidneys shut down after surgery (a know possibility that we were aware of) and he required 3 days of temporary dialysis to give them a chance to recover.  It WORKED!  They started functioning again Saturday night and today he was moved out of ICU to a regular room.   Unfortunately I haven't been able to see him since Wednesday when all Pheonix area hospitals were closed to all but patients.  Thank goodness for FaceTime and ICU nurses that made sure I got to see him everyday.   Now my biggest problem is convincing him that he needs to stay until they say he can come home.   But he is up walking and the only pain he has is where they took a vein out of his leg and the leg is stiff and sore.  Just had. to share some good news for once with people.  I can't wait to get him home and then just sit and ride this out.  Stay safe everyone as we all learn to do pick-up or grocery delivery and find things to do that involve being away from people.  RVers are hardy and we will get through this.

Best wishes and good health.

Hang in there Barb

Excellent! It is good to get the right care when you need it. The challenge is to help Dave realize they rarely send you home with the same pain killers they give you while in so he should stay put as long as they let him do so. He might not feel as good once he goes home.

I often lie in bed thinking about all I feel like doing. Then I get up and have to re-evaluate. 🙂

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Good to hear.  Wish u both the best.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

11 hours ago, Zulu said:

My best to you and Dave. Picked a hell of a time to get ill, eh?

Funny thing was he never had any pain.  Our previous cardiologist died last spring (at age 49 of a massive coronary while riding his mountain bike) and so our new one decided that since it had been 14 years since his last stress test he should have one.  That picked up 'concerns' and then the angioplasty showed the blocked arteries and stents weren't going to do the job.  His symptom - increasing fatigue (at 75!) and that was it.  His kidneys were stressed by the angio and we had to wait about 1 month to get them back in shape before the surgery - so we were prepared for them to act up again.   And we know at some point he will probably have to go on dialysis - hopefully in an easier environment.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Glad to hear that all went well. Didn’t he know that this is not the time to go to the hospital, lol. Don’t let him come home too early just because they are filling up, he needs the full recovery time. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

51 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Glad to hear that all went well. Didn’t he know that this is not the time to go to the hospital, lol. Don’t let him come home too early just because they are filling up, he needs the full recovery time. 

All physicians except for surgeon signed off this morning, his BP is mid120s/low60s.  Right where everyone wants it.  Now he is patiently (😂😂😂) waiting for cardiac surgeon to make his rounds.  At most one more night!  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Picked Dave up at 5:45 pm yesterday.  He’s very PLEASED to be home.

Edited by Barbaraok
I'd like to blame auto-correct for fingers typing faster than brain thinking!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Today's social distancing conditions will make it difficult for Dave, but cardiac rehab is VERY important to total recovery. Been there done that in 2005, he needs to enter rehab as if his life depends on it-it actually does!

As to the leg pain, mine gave me pain for a year after my quad-bypass. The surgeon used the mammary arteries in my chest first, then one from my thigh.

An aside. Tuesday our Dr. called, she said the most at-risk for severe complications from COVID19 are elderly males with heart problems. I'm to wear a mask every time we go to a public place, while practicing the usual distance, and hand washing protocol. Same for my wife, if she contracts it, so will I.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Today's social distancing conditions will make it difficult for Dave, but cardiac rehab is VERY important to total recovery. Been there done that in 2005, he needs to enter rehab as if his life depends on it-it actually does!

As to the leg pain, mine gave me pain for a year after my quad-bypass. The surgeon used the mammary arteries in my chest first, then one from my thigh.

An aside. Tuesday our Dr. called, she said the most at-risk for severe complications from COVID19 are elderly males with heart problems. I'm to wear a mask every time we go to a public place, while practicing the usual distance, and hand washing protocol. Same for my wife, if she contracts it, so will I.

Since everything is locked down, I have things for him to do at home until the Cardiologist sees him in 2 weeks.  Hopefully at that point he will be able to find some way to do the rehab.    I am doing things like using the drive-thru only for getting new meds at the pharmacy and a pickup for groceries, no going inside any establishment.   Plus, online ordering and then  wiping boxes down, then openings and taking everything out and wiping down, collapsing the boxes, then coming inside,  wiping down again, then washing everything.  My hands look like I've spent the week in an acid lab, they are so raw.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I bought a bottle of pure Glycerin at CVS to use instead of regular hand cream, since it is the main ingredient anyway. It only takes 3-4 drops on the back of each hand, at first it feels greasy, but 2 minutes later that goes away.

I don't use hand sanitizer much, only soap N water washing for at least 20 sec. For me the hard part is never touching my face..

I hope Dave is healing well, it's a traumatic experience for both body and mind; for me anyway. The surgeon told me "I fixed the plumbing, the rest is up to you".

I wish Dave and you the best!

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

14 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

My hands look like I've spent the week in an acid lab, they are so raw.  

I have cleaned and disinfected as well as washed my hands so much that I think my system must be absorbing that stuff! This morning when I went pee it seemed to clean the toilet!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I have cleaned and disinfected as well as washed my hands so much that I think my system must be absorbing that stuff! This morning when I went pee it seemed to clean the toilet!

I understand,...hen I yawn or sneeze, bubbles come out.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 9:54 PM, Ray,IN said:

For me the hard part is never touching my face..

That's why many of us need masks. It keeps us from touching our face. A bandana works for that. I saw this online today and will probably make one for myself. It won't work for my Dave because he has a beard so the lower edge cannot seal against his skin. He's better off to tie a bandana like a bank robber then tuck the lower end into his shirt.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/how-to-make-a-diy-no-sew-face-mask-with-fabric-and-hair-elastics/

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van