YNP Griz attack

agesilaus

Steven, the #1 safety rule in bear country is to avoid startling a bear and that generally applies to most larger wildlife. I lived many years in Rocky Mountain country and spent a lot of time in the back country as well as volunteer positions in bear country and have never experienced any dangerous encounter. Make noise as you hike by talking or singing, bells on your pack, or most any other way. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

23 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Take away his credit cards?? 

Best one I have seen. 😂🤣😅

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

A bear once walked into our campsite in a backpacking park in northern Minnesota. He was not interested in us, just the food we were about to run back up the tree after our meal. But, Dave apparently was too close to the food for the bear's comfort so he just walked away and we packed out. Later the ranger told us that bear came back and took three packs that night. I'm sure glad we still had our packs when we packed out. We were also lucky to not be far from our family's cabin so we went there for the weekend. As we arrived we saw a bear and her cub so we did no more hiking that weekend. Those were the only bears we ever saw even though we went up to that cabin and hiked the area at least once a month (except for November deer hunting season) for several more years.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Years ago Backcountry magazine did a study on how effective are bear bells. The results show that bears ignore that sound, but are instantly put on alert by the sound of breaking branches.

They also take note of bright colors

It is not that they ignore the sound, they don't hear it.  If you listen to others who have bear bells and are hiking, you will quickly find out that you cannot hear most of them except if you are very close.  It gets even worse if there is some wind and noises in the woods.  Bears do not hear any better than we do.

22 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Steven, the #1 safety rule in bear country is to avoid startling a bear and that generally applies to most larger wildlife. I lived many years in Rocky Mountain country and spent a lot of time in the back country as well as volunteer positions in bear country and have never experienced any dangerous encounter. Make noise as you hike by talking or singing, bells on your pack, or most any other way. 

Thanks Kirk, We are really looking forward to our trip. We have seen videos of bigger park animals roaming through campgrounds so we intend to always be aware of our surroundings. Another thing I told the wife, we will burn out and clean our smoker grill (GMG Davy Crocket) and not use it on our trip, keep it locked inside the RV storage compartment. The smell of smoked meats would attract meat eating animals like bears.

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

22 minutes ago, Steven@146 said:

Thanks Kirk, We are really looking forward to our trip. We have seen videos of bigger park animals roaming through campgrounds so we intend to always be aware of our surroundings. Another thing I told the wife, we will burn out and clean our smoker grill (GMG Davy Crocket) and not use it on our trip, keep it locked inside the RV storage compartment. The smell of smoked meats would attract meat eating animals like bears.

I was thinking the same thing about my smoker.  I'm volunteering at the Tallac site in Tahoe this summer for a month and glad its got bear boxes that my smoker will fit into.  Last time I was in Tahoe I seen a bear ripe a hole in a garage door big enough for it to fit into with little effort.  I could just imagine what it would do to a compartment door.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, Steven@146 said:

Another thing I told the wife, we will burn out and clean our smoker grill (GMG Davy Crocket) and not use it on our trip,

While that is a good practice, it depends some on where you are as not all bear country is the same. I wouldn't use one without first checking with local rangers to see what they say. Better to use the if in doubt, don't approach. 

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Depends on the bell and how it is attached. Ever heard a cowbell? 

Off topic but related to a cowbell. When my friend was learning to drive, her father set a cowbell on the floor of the car. She was not allowed to take her driver's test until she could drive without ringing the bell.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 3/31/2022 at 7:19 AM, dennisvr said:

I was thinking the same thing about my smoker.  I'm volunteering at the Tallac site in Tahoe this summer for a month and glad its got bear boxes that my smoker will fit into.  Last time I was in Tahoe I seen a bear ripe a hole in a garage door big enough for it to fit into with little effort.  I could just imagine what it would do to a compartment door.

Back in the early 1970's I was working in the backcountry of Sequoia National Park.

I came back into camp one day and the cook said some hikers had stolen the very large canned ham we were going to have for dinner ( fed 15 people).

Didn't think much about it, until a month or so later I found the canned ham.....can.  

The black bear used his claws to puncture the ham can and then PEELED it open.  Yep, he/she didn't bother using the handy key to open the can!!

For the mechanical engineers out there....how much FORCE does it take to peel open a large canned ham can?? 

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

11 hours ago, Vladimir said:

how much FORCE does it take to peel open a large canned ham can?? 

Even humans have very strong jaws, as do most animals. 

Top 10: Which animals have the strongest bite?

11 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Even humans have very strong jaws, as do most animals. 

Top 10: Which animals have the strongest bite?

Toddlers have the strongest bite of humans... ever try to get an object out of a 3yr olds mouth?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

It wasn't the bite that impressed me.  Since there was no evidence of a bite, thought I suspect it is significant!!

The bear took his claws and PUNCTURED the canned ham can.  With his CLAWS. 

Go ahead try puncturing a canned ham can.  Try it with a hammer and nail.....the bear was just using his claw!!!

Then the bear having punctured the can took his claws and forearms and OPENED the canned ham.  PEELED it back until he/she was able to get at the ham.

Ok now try peeling back the canned ham can once the nail is in the can.  But it is a lot of fun!!  Can you do it??

From the looks of the can, no problem peeling it back for the bear.

Then they ate it.  That is where the bite comes in.....but the claw stuff,

THAT REALLY IMPRESSED ME.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

We watched a yearling black bear one morning toss around 8-12" diameter logs until he found one with enough ants or grubs.  He proceeded to rip it apart with his claws to get at them.  Impressive!

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

On 3/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, packnrat said:

this is why one must never go out into the back country where bears are known to sleep for the winter.

And don't go to cities where people are murdered!

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I always enjoy reading the bear stories and advise.  Kirk has it right in my opinion; make some noise.  I have always whistled "Dixie" when walking along a creek full of spawning salmon, and as a general rule pick up the volume and repetition in direct relation to the amount of salmon remains along the bank.

I carried out my first bear when I was 15 or 16 years old and in the 50 years on Kodiak island that followed I was only charged once. The sow clearly did not like me near her cubs.  I am so so glad I did not get between her and them because I had never before seen such an aggressive reaction to a human.  With my Colt Kodiak in the pack my back I was not armed. I know well that you do not run from a bear, but when I saw dirt fly into the air (yes seriously) when she took out after me, I ran. 

I was hiking alone up a ridge line when I came upon two cubs of the year following mom up the same ridge line.  The cubs were about 50 yards up hill from me with mom another 75 yards up from them.  As I took a photo the sow reared up to check on her cubs and spotted me.  The action I described started immediately thereafter.  It was down hill (a bit to my advantage) and the terrain mostly open at that elevation, so I ran.  Not sure I ever ran that fast before.  I only stopped when I figured she would have caught me by then.  As it turned out she only charged a little passed her cubs.  So with the sow now between dangerous me and her cubs she quit the charge and stood guard.  Feeling safer now I took another quick photo and continued down the mountain.  I will never forget the dirt clods the sow let fly as she took off.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

"The Man Who Killed Colorado's Last Grizzly Bear" - - with a hand held arrow !!

Did he lie as to how he killed the bear?  A 6 month investigation by the Feds & a (clean) lie detector exam, pretty well establish it to be true!

Whether you believe it or not - he was lucky to survive the injuries inflicted by the bear !

http://www.the-journal.com/articles/the-man-who-killed-colorados-last-grizzly-bear/

B)

Edited by Pappy Yokum
Link problems corrected.