What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

On 9/26/2023 at 6:59 AM, rickeieio said:

When we bought our KW, there were several settings in the computer that I wanted changed.  The dealer wouldn't raise the speed limit, because the tires were only rated for 75 mph with a full load.  Duh, when will we ever have that kind of load?  Also, the exhaust brake doesn't function until you tap the service brake, and the brake lights don't come on with the Jake brake.  They wanted too much $$$$ to change the other settings, so I've been on the hunt for someone who could do it.

After much searching and frustration, I stumbled upon a shop not two miles from us who claims they can do it.  I know they work on a friend's trucks, similar to ours, so perhaps he's correct.  I should know later today.....

Good luck, 

I also had some changes I wanted when I got my first Volvo, a couple shops refused to do them and finally I found one who said they could and did most of them. Another shop tried to fix my speed limit, but what really worked was putting 11R on the drive in place of the low pro. Gave me 8 mph that the computer didn't know I had. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already have 11R tires.  I rarely want to go faster than 75 mph, but once in a while, it would be nice so as to make a clean pass and get out of the way.

I know, most trailer tires aren't rated for that speed, but we don't have most trailer tires.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

12 hours ago, rickeieio said:

We already have 11R tires.  I rarely want to go faster than 75 mph, but once in a while, it would be nice so as to make a clean pass and get out of the way.

I know, most trailer tires aren't rated for that speed, but we don't have most trailer tires.

There are some M rated tires but most are L and 75 is the limit for them. I usually cruise on the interstates at 72 (with the old truck)not sure yet where I'll set it with the big Cummins. I know it will run faster than I want it too. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod, most of the larger shops out there can change those settings on Paccar trucks. The same can be said for most dealerships as you are the fleet owner for your trucks. The top speed limiter on mine is set north of 100 mph.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Howdy All,

Busy day today.  Started with cutting down a 55 gallon oil drum to make an oil drain pan, if you make it 9 inches tall it will fit under the oil pan guard that runs under the oil pan that channel iron guard is in perfect alignment with the drain plug on the C15.  So as I am gathering up the oil and filter, I start the engine let it run for 20 minuets.  I push the drain pan under the engine poke a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and take the drain plug out, sure as poop the oil blasts out of the pan and right into the under the pan guard.  Oil all over the place, after about five seconds the oil slows down to a flow that misses the guard and 99% of it goes into the drain pan.

So now it's oil filter time, when I had the oil changed at the local Freightliner dealer the last time they must have put that filter on with a cheater bar on the strap wrench.  I did have to use a two foot long piece of pipe on my strap wrench to get it loose, thought the strap was going to break but it held.

Put in the new oil, installed the new filter, started the engine, 70psi oil pressure, no leaks at the filter or the drain plug.  Tomorrows task will be changing the fuel filters, I wonder what delights that will bring to my day.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 9/28/2023 at 2:55 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Rod, most of the larger shops out there can change those settings on Paccar trucks. The same can be said for most dealerships as you are the fleet owner for your trucks. The top speed limiter on mine is set north of 100 mph.

That's way too fast for me, David. 

2007 Honda GL 1800

Howdy All,

Changed out the fuel filters today, easy task.  Found that my in dash fuel pressure gauge is not working properly, since I have owned the truck 46,000 miles ago the gauge when the engine is running has always read 75psi but the needle fluttered a bit.  When the engine is not running it reads 50psi and when running goes past the max reading of 100psi and stops when it hit a small pin just under 5psi.

I took the gauge out, cleaned everything that I could, reinstalled it and it still sits at 50psi when not running and goes past the 100 psi marking and stops at the pin that is under the 5psi reading.  So I am thinking the gauge has gone bad.  Looking online a used gauge is going for a 100 dollars or more, hate to think of what new gauge is going to cost but I can't see replacing it with a used one that might not work or probably won't last that long.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Changed out the fuel filters today, easy task.  Found that my in dash fuel pressure gauge is not working properly, since I have owned the truck 46,000 miles ago the gauge when the engine is running has always read 75psi but the needle fluttered a bit.  When the engine is not running it reads 50psi and when running goes past the max reading of 100psi and stops when it hit a small pin just under 5psi.

I took the gauge out, cleaned everything that I could, reinstalled it and it still sits at 50psi when not running and goes past the 100 psi marking and stops at the pin that is under the 5psi reading.  So I am thinking the gauge has gone bad.  Looking online a used gauge is going for a 100 dollars or more, hate to think of what new gauge is going to cost but I can't see replacing it with a used one that might not work or probably won't last that long.

Dave

Hook it up to a "T" fitting, with a second gauge. Apply pressure. Sounds like the needle may be loose on the shaft, and simply needs to be zeroed and tightened.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

17 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Hook it up to a "T" fitting, with a second gauge. Apply pressure. Sounds like the needle may be loose on the shaft, and simply needs to be zeroed and tightened.

Howdy Darryl,

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked closely at the gauge and can't see anyway to get at the needle with destroying the gauge.  The face/glass is enclosed in a steel assembly that is pressed onto the body of the gauge and then rolled over to attach and seal it to the body.  Could probably get it apart but don't see anyway to reattach it and roll the outer diameter to seal it to the body.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked closely at the gauge and can't see anyway to get at the needle with destroying the gauge.

The modern manufacturing ethos. Some of those style gauges will have a cir-clip holding the glass in place. Look for a pair of eyes that a set of inside snap ring pliers would hook into. If you gotta buy a new one anyway, sometimes a little "therapy" can help.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Howdy All,

A tip for all who might be interested, this place saved me a lot of money on the fuel pressure gauge I just ordered for my Pete, if your ordering parts for your trucks you might save some money with them, here's the web site, https://bigrigworld.com/

I had not heard of this shop, found them when I had spent the better part of four hours online looking for an OEM fuel pressure gauge, their cost with tax and shipping was over 80 dollars cheaper for the EXACT same item then any other shop I could find.

I could have gotten a generic part cheaper but since owning my truck I have made it a point to replace anything needed with genuine OEM parts whenever possible.  Some of the things I have replaced were NOT OEM for example the windshield wiper motor, the real part cost about 65 dollars more but it was nearly twice as big in diameter, 3/4 of an inch longer and ALL of the electrical components were sealed in clear epoxy where the electrical components on the one that I replaced were covered in corrosion.

Now I am waiting on the part to come so I can be finished with the work I am now doing on the Pete.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Spent a few dollars on the truck this week.  Had the ecm re-programmed to raise the speed limiter and actuate the exhaust brake when lifting off the throttle, changed out the NOx sensor ($700 with core), and took out the 6 y/o batteries and inserted fresh ones from KW.  $400 for the batteries, and $200 for ecm and NOx install for a total of $1,300.

Nobody said safety comes cheap.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 9/19/2023 at 1:18 PM, JGWALES said:

I have a Detroit series 60 . Seems like suddenly I have white smoke at start up for a few moments and today slight for 4 miles. Does not get hot and runs great. has anyone had experienced this before ?  I was thinking of going into dealer and do a complete checkup on  truck. I was told it's about 300.00 to check it out

Just finished a 2500 mile one way trip. Only smoked at cold / cool  start up have not used any oil or water. 

• 2 weeks later...

We've had an issue with the windshield washer pump not running.  Turns out, it's a broken wire right at the plug (Delphi) on the pump.  Of course, KW didn't have it, but a parts house 30 miles away did.  Got it, some gland hand "pacifiers" and a WeatherPack crimping pliers too.

I noticed that the new pigtail uses different color wires than original.  One is white in both pieces, but on opposite sides of the terminal.  This isn't the first time I've seen this....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 4 weeks later...

Some time back, I posted that I’d put UHMW-STS on thr trailer hitch face. Pics were requested, but I didn’t know how to put them up from my new computer. Dan Habermehl to the rescue he showed this olde pharte anew trick on my phone.
!

8D5DBEA9-F587-4DB0-A391-C59BBD860EED.jpeg

DAF9477A-B100-483B-A635-FB94A7FB886E.jpeg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Some time back, I posted that I’d put UHMW-STS on thr trailer hitch face. Pics were requested, but I didn’t know how to put them up from my new computer. Dan Habermehl to the rescue he showed this olde pharte anew trick on my phone.
!

8D5DBEA9-F587-4DB0-A391-C59BBD860EED.jpeg

DAF9477A-B100-483B-A635-FB94A7FB886E.jpeg

Thanks! I've got my piece cut out and the hole drilled. Haven't tried to fit it on there yet. I was thinking a piece of 1/4" flat stock and only drill two holes, three at the most.

I cut the pin hole a bit oversize, then made a wood form and heated the rear portion to shape.  Then I installed it over the pin, and after securing the rear, used a couple wood strips, c-clamps, and heat to form the front.  I originally used the bolts for the bushing tubes, but didn't like the fact that the plastic compressed too much.  Thus the pop rivets.  I used vice-grips to pull the plastic tight before drilling and riveting.

So far, we've pulled about 1.800 miles and the plastic is still smooth as a baby's butt.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I cut the pin hole a bit oversize, then made a wood form and heated the rear portion to shape.  Then I installed it over the pin, and after securing the rear, used a couple wood strips, c-clamps, and heat to form the front.  I originally used the bolts for the bushing tubes, but didn't like the fact that the plastic compressed too much.  Thus the pop rivets.  I used vice-grips to pull the plastic tight before drilling and riveting.

So far, we've pulled about 1.800 miles and the plastic is still smooth as a baby's butt.

Thanks for the pictures! I found out that there is "virgin UHMW, and reprocessed UHMW. The piece I got is reprocessed. It is not shiny slick smooth on either side, but it is still smooth on one side. I think it will be all right.

• 1 month later...

So I have been thinking about getting new seats for my T2000 for a while now.  I guess I was a good boy this year because Santa dropped off an early Christmas present the other day.

1po7fAul.jpg

h2RVy6Tl.jpg

I was able to get them installed in the truck without too much effort.  I did have to make a run to my local Napa Auto Parts because one of the air fittings from the old seats broke when I was trying to remove the seat.

pmq0zHZl.jpg

iVyxNHal.jpg

The seats have way more adjustability (mechanically) than the old seats and a lot more air adjustments as well.  They also have three levels of heat compared to the single level in the old seats.  The Serta cushions are very nice.  Now I really can't wait for our Quartzsite trip to give them a good test run.  They are super comfy sitting in them (in the shop).  One nice added benefit is the passenger seat actually goes low enough for my DW to be able to put her feat on the floor without having to use the foot stool she needed with the old seats.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Howdy Chad,

Ride on.  When I installed the new seats in the Pete, it made a world of difference, I do envy your three heat settings that must be GREAT.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

When we were considering new seats for our T2000 four years ago we went to a seat distributor's showroom and sat in anything and everything that looked even remotely interesting, Chad, and those Wide Ride + with Sertas were, by far, my favorites, but I guess I hadn't been a good boy that year because Santa didn't come through for me.  Enjoy!

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch