Vaccine approved first shots within 24 hours

agesilaus

Vaccine approved

Sounds like many of us here will be able to get the jab in December, most pharmacies and major supermarkets will be administering. About one third of the population say they will refuse the jab. They will depend on herd immunity I guess. This version of the vaccine is over 90% effective and you need two shots a month apart.

It will be free.

Edited by agesilaus

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that care center residents and health care workers there will get the first round. First responders and hospital workers will likely be next. Just being old/unhealthy isn't enough to get up moved up that list and I am fine with that since I can isolate easier than any of those categories.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

23 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I read that care center residents and health care workers there will get the first round.

Those decisions are being made at the state level so probably won't always be the exact same way. The CDC is making recommendations to the state health departments but it is them who will give the final directives. Here in TX it will be the medical staff caring for covid patients first, then other active medical people and first responders. Next here will be those in long term care facilities and after then those in the highest risk groups. They have projected that it will be March or April before the vaccine becomes generally available to others who desire to receive it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

36 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Here in TX it will be the medical staff caring for covid patients first, then other active medical people and first responders. Next here will be those in long term care facilities and after then those in the highest risk groups. They have projected that it will be March or April before the vaccine becomes generally available to others who desire to receive it. 

That makes more sense to me. I would be happy with those guidelines.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Sounds like many of us here will be able to get the jab in December,

I really doubt those of advanced age will get it in December.  There is a big population before the elders.  Recommendations were made but the states will decide.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 minutes ago, Joe Spiker said:

I think School Teachers should be the first to get it so we can get the kids back in school.

I don't know that I'd put them ahead of the medical community and first responders, but I would sure put them on the early list, along with workers in meat packing and most all parts of the food industry. I do know that the Texas plan has a lot more levels to it than I listed as they are working to prioritize a lot of positions and jobs. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Sounds like many of us here will be able to get the jab in December,

That is probably unlikely, at least in Florida.  About three million are due from this batch nationwide.  From what I see there are likely to be far fewer than 20 million vaccinated nationwide in December.  I spoke to a CCRC supervisor who said they will not be getting it until March, except for staff and people in nursing home level care, who would be seeing it in January.  My guess is that the rest of us old folks are looking at April or May.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

55 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I don't know that I'd put them ahead of the medical community and first responders, but I would sure put them on the early list, along with workers in meat packing and most all parts of the food industry. I do know that the Texas plan has a lot more levels to it than I listed as they are working to prioritize a lot of positions and jobs. 

For the first shot I would put them first.  Then if there is a problem we don't start losing our Medical personnel.  Reasoning being that most of them are sitting around doing nothing but whining and collecting a paycheck.   😡 At least up here that's what's going on.

Joe

Ok, Flame Suit on

10 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Vaccine approved

Sounds like many of us here will be able to get the jab in December, most pharmacies and major supermarkets will be administering. About one third of the population say they will refuse the jab. They will depend on herd immunity I guess. This version of the vaccine is over 90% effective and you need two shots a month apart.

It will be free.

Don’t think so.  Supply is much more limited than first projected.  It is being doled out to states according to population, so we might have to return to home state or wait until summer when it will be available for the asking.  First batch in Arizona won’t be enough for medical workers and nursing homes.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Supply is much more limited than first projected.  It is being doled out to states according to population, so we might have to return to home state or wait until summer when it will be available for the asking.  First batch in Arizona won’t be enough for medical workers and nursing homes.

Here's the AZ excerpt from a Washington Post state-by-state vaccine summary:

az-vaccine-wapo.png

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Here is the Alabama Plan.  

I don't know the number of doses coming to AL or when, but I might qualify under 1b.  Time will tell I guess.

I the mean time, continue hunkering down in my RV.

Edited by edatlanta
typo

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

13 hours ago, Joe Spiker said:

I think School Teachers should be the first to get it so we can get the kids back in school.

Joe

I so agree! They should be next in line after healthcare workers, though. I really feel for families with young kids. 

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

10 hours ago, Big Rick said:

I won’t even take a flu shot that has been around for years. Not likely to take an experimental version very soon.

Then please tattoo a big sign across your chest and make sure all of your family/friends know that if you get the virus, they are NOT to take you to the ER, etc.  After all, all the treatments being used for Covid patients are experimental, in that we don't know if such-and-such will help or hurt patients.  The vaccines have already been given to tens of thousands of people, reactions to getting the shot have been noted (and you can not 'catch' the virus from the shot) and people are warned about what can happen.  Make sure to stay well hydrated after the shot (that will help keep any fever down) and take OTC pain relief for muscle/headaches and fever.   The fact that the body has a reaction means that the immune system is kicking into gear and really making antibodies; which is why the second shot often has greater reaction.  

One of the big questions left to answer is HOW LONG will the body retain the antibodies?  Hopefully at least a year, so that worst case scenario we would need a booster each year, but longer would be better.   And yes, for that part we will all be test subjects.   Just like we were when we were all lined up and (in my case) marched into the cafeteria to get our POLIO vaccine.  

BTW - the "allergic" reactions that a few people have had (and please note that people in the control, placebo, group ALSO had the same type of reactions), are not anaphylactic  reactions (though they may feel like it at the start), but rather happen to people who are highly allergic to some type of allergen and their bodies do huge histamine dumps when immune system is triggered, which can cause the feeling of an allergic attack.   It quickly resolves with supportive care such as fluids and antihistamines.     The muscle pain at the site of the injection can be lessened by having a relaxed muscle.   So if you automatically tighten up when you see the needle coming near, look away until it is over!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Without plans to return to my domicile state until long after the pandemic risks have dissipated, I have been wondering where I will be put in the que in other states to receive the Covid vaccine.  In the search I just did the only reference I could find pertained to Florida. An article in the SOUTH FLORIDA SUN SENTINEL includes a Q&A.  It appears the responses are those of Jason Mahon, spokesman for the Florida Division of Emergency Management. 

|
DEC 12, 2020 AT 8:30 AM

Q. Will snowbirds who are getting ready to spend the winter in Florida be able to receive the vaccine here?

A. Yes. Non-Florida residents will be eligible, Mahon said. So it won’t matter which state you call home, but it is likely you’ll have to wait until we’re in the widespread distribution phase.

This is disappointing to me. I am over 65 and have risk factors that would put me sooner in line back home in SD.  I don't know if it's true, but I have been told that SD has more "residents" who don't live there than do.  If vaccine is distributed to states based on population, SD may get much more than they need.

There are probably a lot more non-RVing snowbirds than RVrs affected by a policy like this.  If other states do as Florida appears to be planning to do, there are probably a lot of folks at higher risk than myself who will also be affected. 

Is this something the Escapee's organization could weigh in on and possibly encourage state authorities to distribute the vaccine based on the individuals risk factor, essentialness, etc, rather than their residence status?  

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

There may be an issue if you get one shot in one state and plan to get the second in another state.  Also, you probably won't be able to mix up the two (Pfizer & Moderna) for the second shot.  Make sure to find out the definites when inquiring about the vaccine for you.  This is an article I just read in the Washington Post:

"As the nation gears up to vaccinate tens of millions of Americans against the novel coronavirus, public health officials are facing novel dilemmas, driven by the urgency of the pandemic, the fact that only a small minority may have immunity from prior exposure and by the vaccine available at each site, with the differing intervals between shots depending on the manufacturer.

They will need to keep track of people who have received one dose in order to send a reminder about the need to return a few weeks later. They worry that the first vaccine may make people feel just sick enough that they won’t want to go through the ordeal again. And they foresee hitches if people get their first dose at, say, Walgreens and go to CVS for their second, or, worse still, if they cross state borders, moving from one health department’s registration system to another".

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I read an article that the Federal government will track every vaccine and they are working on a program so that each state and the Federal government will all be able to access this information.   They plan to register who and when each vaccine was administered and they specifically need to be able to track and notify people when to receive the second dose no matter what state they may move to.  This information will also be used to track any health problems that arise in the future.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 12/12/2020 at 7:39 AM, agesilaus said:

Vaccine approved

It will be free.

Other than the inaccuracies in the post.....unless you are a hermit living in a cave somewhere, this info is on TV news and radio news - over an over again!

But I guess it initiates discussion and something to comment about (like this post, ROTFL !!)

😁