Vaccine approved first shots within 24 hours

agesilaus

2 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

unless you are a hermit living in a cave somewhere, this info is on TV news and radio news - over an over again!

Guess I live in a cave since I don't watch TV news or listen to the radio. We do listen to the radio in the car but since we haven't been going anywhere...

I do get one newsfeed on my computer but other than that I get my news from groups like this one which I then check out depending on how much I think I need to know. For instance, our county's numbers are dropping again after hitting a much higher high than before. I had some elective surgery scheduled at Thanksgiving time which i cancelled when the numbers started rising again. For now, I'll postpone that until the vaccines cause a major drop in numbers.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I had some elective surgery scheduled at Thanksgiving time which i cancelled when the numbers started rising again. For now, I'll postpone that until the vaccines cause a major drop in numbers.

Can the surgery wait for a year or so?  Since the general public probably won't get the vaccine until next summer it's going to take a while to see any effect.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Other than the inaccuracies in the post.....unless you are a hermit living in a cave somewhere, this info is on TV news and radio news - over an over again!

The beauty of free will.  If you think something does not deserve comment, don't comment.  If you think it has been hased to death, don't bother to read it.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

On 12/12/2020 at 11:22 PM, Big Rick said:

I won’t even take a flu shot that has been around for years. Not likely to take an experimental version very soon.

I'd like to thank you for your stand.  Let me explain.  I have several underlying health issues that will have me getting the vaccine much earlier than my wife.  With folks like you making the choice to not get the vaccine my wife will be moved up that much sooner.  We appreciate your decision.

4 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

I'd like to thank you for your stand.  Let me explain.  I have several underlying health issues that will have me getting the vaccine much earlier than my wife.  With folks like you making the choice to not get the vaccine my wife will be moved up that much sooner.  We appreciate your decision.

I agree.  Since Dave & I are both over 75 and he has SERIOUS health issues, a big thank you to Big Rick for helping to ensure an adequate supply for people like us!

👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

35 minutes ago, ROUS said:

My son is supposed to get his vaccine this morning.  He's on a surgical team in OKC and works with Covid patients daily.

I know how you must worry about him.  Please pass along all of our thanks for being part of the team of workers who care about helping people.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

15 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Can the surgery wait for a year or so?  Since the general public probably won't get the vaccine until next summer it's going to take a while to see any effect.

Yes. The surgery is not for anything life threatening--just uncomfortable.

Linda

10 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

The beauty of free will.  If you think something does not deserve comment, don't comment.  If you think it has been hased to death, don't bother to read it.

So, my free will includes you having the right to tell me what to do? :)

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

16 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Depending upon where you live, if you wait, the surgeon and hospital may not be in business by next summer.  Lots of smaller  hospitals have no revenue generating stream of elective procedures because of beds filled with COVID patients.  Not to mention putting off surgery may lead to complications later.  Lots of day surgery centers where no COVID patients are allowed could go out of business and what a colonoscopy would have found and taken care of may flare into late stage colon cancer!   Or cataract surgery put off could lead to later problems.   Not getting routine pressure checks in your eyes could lead to blindness from missing glaucoma, missing mammogram leading to cancer going undetected.   It is scary, but health care institutions are doing everything to make sure they are safe.   

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

No, they need to talk with their physician about the type of reaction, etc.  and whether they are at high risk for catching virus.  Allergic reactions can be handled in a hospital setting, often with only a few hrs stay for observation.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 12/13/2020 at 9:59 AM, Barbaraok said:

Then please tattoo a big sign across your chest and make sure all of your family/friends know that if you get the virus, they are NOT to take you to the ER, etc.  After all, all the treatments being used for Covid patients are experimental, in that we don't know if such-and-such will help or hurt patients.  The vaccines have already been given to tens of thousands of people, reactions to getting the shot have been noted

I guess you forgot about the Cutter vaccine for Polio in 1955? 40,000 people got polio from that vaccine. How about the H1N1 vaccine in Europe that they discovered was causing narcolepsy after they administered it to 650,000 people? 

How is it that we haven't developed a vaccine for AIDS yet? It took 10's of years to develop vaccines for HPV, Hep B, Chicken Pox, Polio and God knows how many others but we managed to cure Covid 19 in 8 months? We still do not have a fully functional Flu vaccine and you condemn others for being skeptical? 

It amazes me the number of people that believe that they have the right and the need to tell others how to live so they can feel better about themselves. I seem to remember a group that made Jews wear stars on their clothing so they could be identified. Now you want to tattoo the unvaccinated. Are you going to usher them into gas chambers too? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

16 minutes ago, Big5er said:

I guess you forgot about the Cutter vaccine for Polio in 1955? 40,000 people got polio from that vaccine. How about the H1N1 vaccine in Europe that they discovered was causing narcolepsy after they administered it to 650,000 people? 

How is it that we haven't developed a vaccine for AIDS yet? It took 10's of years to develop vaccines for HPV, Hep B, Chicken Pox, Polio and God knows how many others but we managed to cure Covid 19 in 8 months? We still do not have a fully functional Flu vaccine and you condemn others for being skeptical? 

It amazes me the number of people that believe that they have the right and the need to tell others how to live so they can feel better about themselves. I seem to remember a group that made Jews wear stars on their clothing so they could be identified. Now you want to tattoo the unvaccinated. Are you going to usher them into gas chambers too? 

Amen, Phil

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

I guess you forgot about the Cutter vaccine for Polio in 1955? 40,000 people got polio from that vaccine.

Yep, definitely a reason for being skeptical -- or at least waiting a while to see what happens . . . and for most (all?) of us on the forum, it may be months before we even have the option of getting the vaccine.

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

How is it that we haven't developed a vaccine for AIDS yet? It took 10's of years to develop vaccines for HPV, Hep B, Chicken Pox, Polio and God knows how many others but we managed to cure Covid 19 in 8 months?

From what I've read, the "right" combination of events came together for the COVID-19 vaccine -- first, we had learned a lot from the COVID-19 "cousins" SARS and MERS outbreaks, the Chinese sequenced and made public the COVID-19 genome early in the game, "cut and paste" gene editing was recently made possible with CRISPR, researchers didn't follow the traditional vaccine development strategy, and finally lots and lots of money.

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Didn't forget a thing.  You seem to be under the impression that nothing in science changes.  Each experience leads to new ways of doing things.   Of course, if you are afraid, don't get the vaccination, just roll the dice and hope you never get exposed to the virus.   

AIDS is a different type of virus, it is a retrovirus that attacks the immune system and because it is a retrovirus vaccine development is much slower for a variety of reasons but they are getting closer all of the time.

Both the Polio and HINI were developed from the viruses, which is not the case with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. These vaccines are made from fragments of a mRNA that will code for the protein that makes the spikes that attached to the cell.  The vaccine thus works by activating the immune system to make antibodies to that protein spike and thus inactivate the virus before it can attached to the cell.  And the other vaccines that were developed from the virus, we've made a lot of progress in both how vaccines are made, how they are tested, etc.   But again, no one is forcing you to take the vaccine and if you don't, means others will get theirs sooner.   

Yes, the tattoo was a hyperbolic comment, but the anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, virus is a hoax believers,  don't realize that they aren't just a risk to themselves, but also to all those around them.    If people refuse to take this seriously, endanger themselves and others, why should we then pay for their care and they take up bed space, etc., away from those who are trying to do the right things?   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Here's an interesting article on how the vaccine came to be.  A lot of the background work was done years ago.  It didn't just get started this year. 

Also, this vaccine doesn't contain the virus.  It works in a different way than previous vaccines.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/12/07/how-did-we-get-a-coronavirus-vaccine-so-fast-years-of-research/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The polio vaccines of the 50's were live virus vaccines that came in a weakened condition and with an agent that was supposed to help to kill them, once given. That is very different than what we are now seeing introduced. Part of the difficulty of our current situation is that most of us do not really understand the science behind modern vaccines and medical issues and the recent political turmoil has only made things worse. With any decision of this kind one needs to measure his degree of risk and then make what he believes to be his best choice.

One thing that seems to be overlooked in this debate is the fact that there will have been millions of people given this vaccine before any of us on these forums are even offered that choice. The ultimate test of any medical advance is to observe it in use out in the public and that test has begun for the first covid vaccine with another to follow very soon. It seems to me that unless you are either working in the medical field or living in a long term care facility, the decision whether or not to take that vaccine is too early. For most of us it will be at least 2 or 3 months before we are even offered the vaccine and by then a great deal more will be known. It seems to me that the sensible thing to do is to wait until the vaccine is offered to us and only then to make the decision on whether or not to accept it, based on the knowledge that will be available at that time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

..., we've made a lot of progress in both how vaccines are made, how they are tested, etc.   

Yes, science has the technology now it has never had before.  I'm amazed at the number of drug ads I see on TV.  New things are coming all out all the time.  Science does change, and rapidly at times.

Big5er, Covid has not been "cured" in 8 months.  We don't know if we'll need a yearly vaccine.  

Yes, science doesn't know everything, but it does know a lot.  If you wait for perfection, you'll be waiting a long time.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:09 PM, Pat & Pete said:

Who is deleting my posts and why ?

I see them posted on the thread . Then next time I visit the thread they are gone . 

Sometimes I post then forget to hit the submit button.  Comes with age or alcohol and may not apply to your.   In a pinch I just blame it on a moderator.  (kirk😁)

I have never taken a flu shot. Something interesting happened to me last October. I got very sick. Couldn't work sick. Went to urgent care and checked me for flu. Don't have flu but all the systems. So he treated it aggressively and I got better. Drawn blood and  took x-rays. Sent me a letter and a text that they retested my blood and found Corvis virus. I called them up and said there wasn't any virus that early. He told me they are finding their was. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

10 hours ago, Zulu said:

From what I've read, the "right" combination of events came together for the COVID-19 vaccine --

Goes to show what luck coupled with skill can do.  Even in a firefight I will be happy with luck.  C'mon Big5ver you would have risked a bullet how about a vaccination.  We're men we can take it.  And I would rather them test it on me than my kids or grandkids  although one of mine will likely get it real early nursing at St. Jude.   I wasn't around him but my ex-ex husband in law went out with it just this past Sat. in a nursing facility.  To be fair he had major other issues and amazed he lasted this long.

defintion-  my deceased ex-wifes surviving spouse.  AKA my kids step father.