500 feet to covid

Wrknrvr

Trying to understand what to do if you know covid19 is only 500 feet away.

So I have known my neighbor for over 50 years. We are both originally from Pa. but both ended up in Montana through the years. So since this subject came to the US, I have stopped 95 percent of my work. Only do one type of repair work that does not require me to go inside the rv for.

We have been extremely careful where we go. And at what time. We use to go out to eat every Friday night. Go to parades, rodeos and generally do what we wanted. But with a serious underlying health concern from years ago we still really understood the possibilities of a normal infection being a problem.

So my neighbor has a machine shop that I would visit a few times a week to do stuff. Or work on his rv or household stuff. We helped each other.

He was the opposite of us in that he would still go to church. Eat out in restaurants His wife works at a dental office. He sorta went quiet about a week or so ago. Saturday the ambulance was at another neighbor to pickup the lady that lives there. Still not sure 100 percent about her reason for ambulance trip.  Late Saturday he texted me about what happened to her . I told him a possibility of a fall?  He texted back he tested positive on Wednesday for covid.

More than frustration,   Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

Vern,

Where did you get the idea that you had to be more than 500 ft away?

Close proximity, indoors, without masks, is the greatest risk.  Next is outdoors, but hopefully with nice breeze anything is dilute.  With masks, risk is greatly reduced.  Take the last time you were close to your friend, and count 14 days from them - that's the incubation period.  Most people are positive within 7 days, but 14 is consider the safe point.  Just keep doing what you are doing and try not to worry.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

Trying to understand what to do if you know covid19 is only 500 feet away.

My understanding is that the risk of infection from someone 500 feet away is about the same as 500 miles away.  It is the people in between who are the risk, and your habits that determine the extent of that risk.  Take adequate precautions and your risk should be low.

Avoid being indoors anywhere that others are or were recently present.  If you must go indoors such as a particular type of business, go to a business that practices safe procedures - not the ones with masks under the nose and no limits on customers. Limit the time indoors in those places to less than 15 minutes in 24 hours.  We try to make these essential trips first thing in the morning to allow virus on premises to die down.  Restaurants, bars and other social gatherings do not fit into this.  Use delivery and curbside pickup whenever possible.

If you attend outdoors events, be sure they are distanced and masked.  Avoid places at those events where folks frequent- food service, etc.

Wear a mask when you are going to be near others, and always have a mask for yourself when folks pop up unexpectedly. 

Wash your hands. 

Don't attend gatherings, even family, unless you are sure of EVERYONE there.  That is a tall order beyond a person or two with whom you have discussed the issue. We spent a lot of time with our daughter and SIL in Maine this summer, but we had an agreement about following precautions.  We self-quarantined when we arrived in Maine and before meeting with each other.  They did the same.  My daughter told me she would prefer not being the daughter who killed us. I'mnot sure what that says about her view of her sisters.

When we went to MD this fall, we quarantined for the two weeks that we traveled travel down.  The two daughters in MD quarantined the grandchildren and themselves except for one daughter whose place of business screens and uses PPE every day (she's a med lab tech.) We accepted that risk.  I'm not sure I would now with the current upswing in cases.

It isn't clear to me whether you continue to work in the shop with the neighbor who is less than careful.  That sounds like a big risk to me.

It looks like we have to continue to be very, very careful until spring and a vaccine, and then only moderately careful for another year or so.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I'm guessing that neighbor lives 500 feet away from you. Given when he tested positive and how often you have been visiting him, I would self quarantine for 14 days then be tested then stay far away from him until all this is over. He's not worth the risk.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

I'm guessing that neighbor lives 500 feet away from you. Given when he tested positive and how often you have been visiting him, I would self quarantine for 14 days then be tested then stay far away from him until all this is over. He's not worth the risk.

Linda

Linda, once his friend recovers and is 10 days after his symptoms end, he is probably the SAFEST person to be around. He will have active antibodies for at least 4 to 6 months if not longer.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Antibody levels and length of immunity seem to be dependent upon how severe of a case the person had and how active the immune system became.  People with very mild cases may not activate as may T cells and thus not have long term immunity.   It is really very complex issue.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Unfortunately Kirk there are an awful lot of people who will laugh that off as "won't happen to me".   It is just so sad to see people dying because of ignorance or obstinance.  Either way, they are still dead.  300K by Christmas. 😢

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

It is just so sad to see people dying because of ignorance or obstinance.  

You are so right. I got that from a nurse in the family who has been working in a covid testing facility in Wisconsin for several months now. She shared it as the most valid explanation of how the homemade masks work that she has yet seen. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We just had a rally to protest the mandatory use of masks in a town near me!  Oddly enough that same town has the highest rate of infection in my whole province.  It appears we will cure Covid but we will never cure stupid!  

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

2 hours ago, orca said:

It appears we will cure Covid but we will never cure stupid!  

Happy to quote you on that !

Once you hear the story(ies) from folks that have had serious Covid (and survived) you understand - even if you are "macho" (no mask - my body, my choice!) - the persons you may infect are the real losers due to your ignorance.

BTW - "long haulers" aren't just OTR truckers now.

2 hours ago, orca said:

It appears we will cure Covid but we will never cure stupid!  

Happy to hear that the USA is not exclusive to that. Right now I'd go visit BruceT in Australia except that they are to smart to allow people from the US to come there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

South Dakota's Governor refuses to ask the population to take necessary precautions.  She also welcomed the Mt. Rushmore Trump celebration and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.  It is one of the worse states for numbers right now.

https://masks4all.co/what-states-require-masks/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Even the official CDC and WHO  to include Dr. F have flip flopped several times on issue of wearing mask and lockdowns, etc.  since March.  Confusing conflicting opinions from many different "experts" so I will continue wearing mask when around other people indoors or outside.  This whole virus thing has become extremely politicized from very beginning by so many.  Situation normal for U.S. and FUBAR.

19 minutes ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

Situation normal for U.S. and FUBAR.

*Not* always SNAFU or FUBAR for U.S.!! - However,  (IMO) currently FUBAR should be hyphenated as "POTUS-FUBAR".

BTW - for those old enough to remember, "SNAFU" began to be used (even in) the  press during WWII - and, of course the "FU"  in those acronyms was/is translated as "Fouled Up" - even if some knew/used a different translation (for the "F").

Just my 2 cents, but I guess I dont undestand why we wouldnt just wear them since they are SOME type of defense to a virus running amuck and it may help.  Shouldnt need a mandate to do it, kind of like wearing shoes when the ground is dangerous(rough, jagged, full of trash etc.) or hot.  

I do, because I dont know if I am asymptomatic and shedding virus, which may end up infecting some person or group of persons that has a compromised immune system.  It is WHAT I CAN DO to be considerate of others, like staying home during a typical flu season, when I have caught the flu.

Marcel

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

He may not.

He could die of a stroke, heart attack or the flu as well, my comment was to Linda saying "stay far away from him until all this is over. He's not worth the risk."

My wife has HAD Covid-19 and I stayed with her, slept in the same bed, rode in the same car and ate my meals with her. Yes, she was sick but I married her for better or worse, sickness and health.

I never came down with anything and she has active antibodies and is donating plasma for others to fight this disease. So because she is recovered and has active antibodies I should stay away and abandon her until this is "over"?.

Grow a pair and make your OWN decisions about your health. You don't need someone to tell you how to live your life. Make your choices and respect others as they make their own.

By the way, neither of us wore masks and I have been tested multiple times for the virus and antibodies with negative results each time.

I refuse to crawl in a hole and live in fear and that is MY choice. Respect it as much as I respect others choice to isolate from everyone.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Well said Georgia, we were in Illinois when this started and did what the “experts” said ,gloves,wiping things down,I even put my beer cans in bleach water when we bought them. We came to Kansas in late June most towns you didn’t know anything was even going on. We wore mask in the bigger cities where they required mask, no problem. We didn’t wear them any other times around friends or the few times we ate out. I have been around at least 2 people that had it while they had it but kept 5-6 feet away never felt any symptoms and that was 2 months ago. We wear masks in public but not at the campground where we have been with the same people for months. Don’t stop living your life just be careful. At least the vaccine is close. Good timing isn’t it. 

2 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

He could die of a stroke, heart attack or the flu as well, my comment was to Linda saying "stay far away from him until all this is over. He's not worth the risk."

My wife has HAD Covid-19 and I stayed with her, slept in the same bed, rode in the same car and ate my meals with her. Yes, she was sick but I married her for better or worse, sickness and health.

I never came down with anything and she has active antibodies and is donating plasma for others to fight this disease. So because she is recovered and has active antibodies I should stay away and abandon her until this is "over"?.

Grow a pair and make your OWN decisions about your health. You don't need someone to tell you how to live your life. Make your choices and respect others as they make their own.

By the way, neither of us wore masks and I have been tested multiple times for the virus and antibodies with negative results each time.

I refuse to crawl in a hole and live in fear and that is MY choice. Respect it as much as I respect others choice to isolate from everyone.

How lucky that your immune system is able to fend of infection and your wife was able to develop sufficient antibodies to recover.  250K were not that lucky.  And for many of us with ongoing chronic conditions getting the virus would be a death sentence.   To brag about not wearing masks when your wife did catch the virus seems strange to me.  BTW - have you been tested for antibodies? 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834