Android Phones

I unfortunately had my cell phone take a dive off of my motorcycle earlier this week. It was a Samsung S7 that I've had for a few years now. My first smart phone was a Blackberry, then I had the Motorola Razor and finally to the Samsung family with the 3, 5 and now the 7. I have reactivated the 5 and it actually is working very well, so I don't have to replace or repair the S7 immediately.   I did take it in and have a estimate of just under $200 to replace the screen and hopefully it will be "good as new" again. I asked about replacing the charge/data port, but they cannot do that on an Android currently. That's usually what stimulates my need to replace the phone. I use them for my internet and the extra plugging in and out usually causes problems. So far my S5 and S7 have been better. I think I had two of the S3 and maybe a couple Razor's too. 

The question I have today is: What is the best Android to look for?  I will be making the purchase through Ebay most likely. Is a 5G phone really the next best or will it be like the beta vs VHS? Two years ago I would have though we would all be using 5G, but not I don't know. Earlier this year I would have turned to Facebook and my friends there. I hope I'm not out of line asking on this forum. Thank you in advance for any and all responses. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a newer phone and you're all set. I have a Samsung Note 9 with wireless charging. We have multiple Anker angled charging pads around, so we just park our phones on one of those and they charge wirelessly. The charge port rarely gets used. 5g is totally not ready for prime time. With ranges as short as a few yards, the numbers of transceivers needed are astronomical. Probably not happening next week. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

I still have an iPhone 6 and would love to update to a Samsung. If I ever update I want the newest version. I refuse to pay $1000 for a phone however and will continue to use my iPhone till it dies. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I've had a Pixel 2XL for >2 years and still love it.  I'm a demanding phone user but I still am quite satisfied with it.  I don't use it for gaming and its response to touch is plenty fast for me.  Since I own a DSLR for serious photography, the camera is more than adequate for snapping "Facebook photos"; I don't feel any need for multiple lenses. And it is sized to fit easily in my pocket.  I did have to replace one Pixel because of a charging port issue, but, so far, this one is charging OK. JMO

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

17 hours ago, lappir said:

I unfortunately had my cell phone take a dive off of my motorcycle earlier this week. It was a Samsung S7 that I've had for a few years now. My first smart phone was a Blackberry, then I had the Motorola Razor and finally to the Samsung family with the 3, 5 and now the 7. I have reactivated the 5 and it actually is working very well, so I don't have to replace or repair the S7 immediately.   I did take it in and have a estimate of just under $200 to replace the screen and hopefully it will be "good as new" again. I asked about replacing the charge/data port, but they cannot do that on an Android currently. That's usually what stimulates my need to replace the phone. I use them for my internet and the extra plugging in and out usually causes problems. So far my S5 and S7 have been better. I think I had two of the S3 and maybe a couple Razor's too. 

The question I have today is: What is the best Android to look for?  I will be making the purchase through Ebay most likely. Is a 5G phone really the next best or will it be like the beta vs VHS? Two years ago I would have though we would all be using 5G, but not I don't know. Earlier this year I would have turned to Facebook and my friends there. I hope I'm not out of line asking on this forum. Thank you in advance for any and all responses. 

Rod

Sent you a PM concerning other than topic discussion.

Thanks,

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I got my son  a Samsung A51 it's very nice $300. I got a used Samsung S10 as an upgrade from the used S5 I got a year ago for $400 ish on Ebay  it is a huge step up. I would have gotten the A51 but it doesn't have as good dust protection and I need GRUD protection. I have been using the magnetic charge cable for about a year and I am very happy with them, I have one that is a data cable as well as the charge cable, but have I not used it yet. Get the angled one, I like the angle pivoting one the best. I have several brands and they all seem to work with each other.

Thanks to all who replied. I have used my S5 for a few days now and it's working pretty good, so far. I will not repair the S7 just yet and will be on the search for a newer Samsung at a reasonable cost. I do need to plug my phone into my computer so if one has a better connection than another I'd want to know. I have looked for the "Magnetic" cables in several areas but have yet to find, except in an online order and I will only to that at the very last resort. I'll buy a phone from ebay, but don't want to buy a simple cord. Strange I know. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Get your new phone with a USB-C  connector.  It's the type that you don't have to decide which side goes up or down.  USB-C is also engineered to be more durable than the prior most prevalent connector for phones - micro USB.  One of the advantages of USB-C  is that, unlike micro USB connectors, the springy parts are in the cable rather than in the device.  So if, over time, the connection becomes loose, a new cable will fix it instead of having to get your phone repaired.

That said, given one of your priorities is a durable connection, buy a decent cable, not the cheapest.  Here's  an example of a high quality one at a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerline-Pull-up-Resistor-Samsung/dp/B01A6F3WHG#ace-g6570352880

Edited by DanZemke

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

22 hours ago, lappir said:

I asked about replacing the charge/data port, but they cannot do that on an Android currently. That's usually what stimulates my need to replace the phone. I use them for my internet and the extra plugging in and out usually causes problems.

Rod, Glenn may not have read your first post on this topic.

USB-C is more durable than micro-usb.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

We have the Motorola Z3, two of them. They are pretty good. They can be had cheap and the only thing it was missing for us was wireless charging. We have the charger stands with double coils. Our Windows phones all had wireless Qi charging. Motorola isn't into it much. The Z4 is out too with faster everything. However, I just bought one of these because I don't do earbuds on the go. But I do have very good Bluetooth wireless earbuds. I used to use it to play music in my old 2009HHR with the Jabra Cruiser devices. Now we have no use for those. Also, my Tesla has wireless charging in the console stand. So I got one of these in USBC. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5FDXD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have them for Micro USB and Apple all are $13.95

It works great under the Speck Presidio Grip Case Cover for Moto Z3. No bulge or loose cable. Charges fast, gets about as warm as the stock turbocharger, works great now foe a few months daily use.

In other words, don't let lack of wireless charger break an otherwise perfect phone, new used or whatever. YMMV. It looks great too.

You no longer need to cable to your Android phone with Windows 10. Click the start button and scroll all the way to the bottom of the Apps. You'll see "Your Phone." It is the easiest way to copy pics from the phone to computer. Makes and receives calls on the computer, and send and receive texts on your computer via your phone.

I see you already bought your phone, so maybe the wireless charging if yours doesn't have it?

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Dan,

I agree with you about USB C. I need reading glasses since my cataract lenses put in. Now it's a pain to see where the flat side of the micro USB is. I'm great with both, but I can connect a USB C in the dark. Good cables are no longer needed for my phones. Wireless in the Tesla and home now.

My wife wanted my old Forester and it has a great bluetooth head unit, but no wireless. So she opted for wired charging in and out of the car.

These Z3s also have Moto Mods. We have the Pico 50" projector Mod, 2 battery Mods, and the JBL Speaker Mod. Moto Z3s are also 5G ready. They have a Moto mod for 5G.

We like them because the batteries go two days of use. Navigation uses a lot of battery so for her she uses the a fast charger on her phone stand.

We got these free and the originals Moto Z Droid play. We still have them. And both Windows phones.

I have no problem buying used locally or online with an ez return vendor for just that. $1000 for a phone not happening. Computer sure, phone no. If I had one break I have the old one. I do need 256GB micro SD card capability however. Gotta have my music. But my new car has great streaming music stations free as well.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The Note 9 phones have wireless charging but the tablets and headphones don't.  Magnetic charge cables made a world of difference.  A small adapter plugs into the USB-micro socket.  Then the magnetic end of the cable connects to the adapter.   only have to get the end within an inch and it grabs the adapter.  Nothing to wear and glasses not needed.  Works in the dark since the cable end has a led light.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Have decided not to attempt a repair of my S7. While it was working well, I'm finding the S5 is doing almost as good. It will take me a while to locate what I really want I think. I have seen the "Note's" but haven't actually held one. Will try and do that over the next few weeks to see how they feel. I'm thinking a Note 9, but am open to comments on the pro's and cons. I will look for the USB C connection. I will be happy knowing it can be plugged in either way. I'm always fighting with the mini usb connections on all my stuff. I think I have it the right way but then have to turn it over and then back over. What  a pain. 

2007 Honda GL 1800

Man, our Samsung J3  phones must be ancient after reading this thread, they are 3G/LTE and still work great.

Since Huawei is now out of the picture for establishing 5G in the U.S.A. I doubt it will become a reality for the majority of the country within 20 years.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Gave up on trying to harden an iPhone about 2 years ago. Bought a CAT S60.  We are highly active with outside activities, so I spent the money up front for a “rugged” cell phone. It is Mil-Spec 810G, IP68, IP69K rating.  It has gorilla glass, exceptionally good battery life which means it weights a lot.  I didn’t think I would use the F.L.I.R. gadget much until I had an engineer (has a S60)  properly show me how to utilize this F.L.I.R. tool. Now, the whole volunteer fire department now have the CAT phones ( S60 or S61) because of the F.L.I.R..

When we stop to refuel, I walk around the trailer and take a quick look thru the F.L.I.R. at each hub/wheel bearing and compare it to a previously known baseline. In addition, the F.L.I.R. has proven to be valuable in finding wiring faults and leaks around windows and roof.

I bought mine from all places Walmart.com, unlocked and at time would only work on the AT&T network. I do have to admit that I am somewhat disappointed with Google Play.  IMHO the iPhone world has much more apps.

2022 F-250 4X4 LB SC Godzilla V8 /2014 Northwood Nash 17K/SKP098347

• 4 weeks later...

It took a little bit of time and internet searching, but I am back with the PDANet+. Was close to calling today to see about reactivating my S5 to use only as my data port. Will see how it works with the new WiFi connect. I used it before with my Tablet, but never with the PC until this morning. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Keep in mind that there are 2 major advantages of current technology phones.

1. New processors such as Qualcomm's Snapdragon 865 can make everything faster and more pleasant to use.  

2. Many phones now use 2x2 or 4x4 mimo internal antennas that allow better connectivity in remote places. My Oneplus 8 has a reliable connection long after my wife's old iPhone reports "no service" even though they're side-by-side. 

If you don't rely on your phone for mobile work then maybe not worth the price but since you're already paying the same for service you may want to upgrade the hardware you're using. 

• 2 years later...

Well, it's that time again. 

Haven't had an accident with the current phone (Samsung Note 9), but I'm hoping an issue I'm having with the Android Auto in the Jeep will be mitigated some if I upgrade. I'll also be looking for sure at a magnetic cord hopefully from the same eBay seller.  

Has anyone ever been able to find one in a "Sticks and Bricks" establishment? I looked a several cords at the "Truck Stop" this weekend on a trip. Have been having a lot of trouble with the Android Auto in my New Jeep. (Had problems with the 2019 and ASSUMED they would be resolved in a new 2022. Nope)

I've taken the Jeep to two dealers and both say it all works well. They test it sitting in the shop and don't actually drive it anywhere. It worked for 3 weeks after the last visit, but I would drive only once a week and didn't go out of town. This weekend I took a 1000+ mile trip and had to unplug to reset more times than I could count. Thankfully only during times when an upcoming turn was not very close. 

If you have read to here, tell me what Android you would purchase or would you finally jump over to the Apple side? 

I'm still a PC user, but my youngest and a close friend  converted to Apple products several years ago and keep telling me it's better. My older children still use  Android though and so do all my work locations except for one in Tallahassee that had iPhones that used android software so I really didn't use it as an Apple product. 

Thanks in advance. 

Rod

ps. not going to give up my unlimited data plan by going to Verizon (or At&T to get the latest and greatest.)

rl

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 8/20/2020 at 7:18 PM, dogyard said:

1. New processors such as Qualcomm's Snapdragon 865 can make everything faster and more pleasant to use.  

2. Many phones now use 2x2 or 4x4 mimo internal antennas that allow better connectivity in remote places. My Oneplus 8 has a reliable connection long after my wife's old iPhone reports "no service" even though they're side-by-side. 

In addition, newer, high-end phones have more advanced modems and can access new frequency bands such as C-band (also known as sub-6 GHz).  Advanced modems can utilize tower capabilities such as carrier aggregation.  At he time I purchased my Pixel 6 Pro a year ago it was one of only a few Verizon phones with C-band capability.  Sure, there isn't a lot of C-band available yet, but there will be soon enough.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

12 hours ago, docj said:

In addition, newer, high-end phones have more advanced modems and can access new frequency bands such as C-band (also known as sub-6 GHz).  Advanced modems can utilize tower capabilities such as carrier aggregation.  At he time I purchased my Pixel 6 Pro a year ago it was one of only a few Verizon phones with C-band capability.  Sure, there isn't a lot of C-band available yet, but there will be soon enough.

My son has had a couple Pixel phones, one was better than the other I think. Work gave him a phone a year ago and he got rid of his personal number this year. I'll have to remember to ask him which one he had and liked. 

Thanks for your comment. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800