FB, HDT did I miss something

staffnon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please explain the advantage of using Face Book for the HDT group ? Is it just being fashionable ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I personally don't see Facebook as an advantage, or fashionable.  I admittedly don't use it much, but it is an additional source of information.  IMO, this forum is of much more value to HDTer's than Facebook.

Roger and my wonderful wife Margaret
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

The picture posting abilities of this site are what pushed many over to FB.  For them, it's easier to share pics on FB than here.  Also, so many people use their phones exclusively for all their social interactions.  Forums, such as this work better on tablets and laptops, but that limits how often people read or make an update to posts.  If this forum was more mobile friendly and user-friendly, folks would use it more.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Another source of information, I joined out of curiosity and occasionally contribute, when specific question pop-up from "newbies".

This forum is quite a bit more "mature" and organized and resources, gathered over years of members experience which you can retrieve, are invaluable.

I wouldn't say lots of members "went over", they did what I did, joined out of curiosity and met same old friends we've known on this forum.

Facebook, by it's nature, it's more of a "gabby" platform and because of that maybe "less intimidating". Lots of things pop up on it but they also seem to quickly sink into oblivion and die "natural death" except when Zuckerberg's boys decide otherwise.

I don't think this forum has anything to fear 

Iche

12 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

The picture posting abilities of this site are what pushed many over to FB.  For them, it's easier to share pics on FB than here.  Also, so many people use their phones exclusively for all their social interactions.  Forums, such as this work better on tablets and laptops, but that limits how often people read or make an update to posts.  If this forum was more mobile friendly and user-friendly, folks would use it more.

I checked again the picture posting link that Jack posted at the top, it works great, I use it now instead of the one on my computer.

3 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please explain the advantage of using Face Book for the HDT group ? Is it just being fashionable ?

Al

I have been told it is a 'friendlier"  atmosphere then these forums, less 'strife'.

perception is everything.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

I am a member of all the Facebook HDT groups, but I much prefer this forum to them.  As stated above, you can’t search Facebook easily to find information, people tend to gab more than give pertinent information (which gets posts going all over the place and make them difficult to follow) and I have seen multiple instances of people getting pissed because someone posts a differing opinion on “their” post.  This forum is just a nicer, more organized place in my opinion.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Friends don't let friends Facebook,

I know I am an outlier here, social media is a time sink that I have no interest in.    Some of my friends and family have tried to lure me into the abyss, just not for me.    The revelations about data harvesting just makes me thank the Lord, I remain a Luddite.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

3 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I am a member of all the Facebook HDT groups, but I much prefer this forum to them.  As stated above, you can’t search Facebook easily to find information, people tend to gab more than give pertinent information (which gets posts going all over the place and make them difficult to follow) and I have seen multiple instances of people getting pissed because someone posts a differing opinion on “their” post.  This forum is just a nicer, more organized place in my opinion.

X2 what Chad, Henry, David said. 

I went, I saw, I posted.  Got flamed for not agreeing with one of the originators of the group.  Seemed like they were more interested in their own narrow opinions. 

I left. Took a week to get convinced. 

JMHO. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I am on both. I like the forum better but Facebook is faster. I check the forum once a day. I have FB on my phone. I use FB as a tool like Craigslist. Buy Sell Trade all the time. If I throw something out there on FB and get negative opinions I don't care. I WANT all different opinions. If someone gets mad because our opinions differ then that's their problem. I'm just having a conversation. Trust me there are other groups with way way more drama than the HDT group.

The main deal with Facebook is you ask a question and you might get 50 different answers. Now you have to sort through the good advice and and the bad. On here its slower. You will get a handful of answers and they are usually the same or similar.

Just as long as you don't start the hitch war!   My trailer saver is the best. No its not ET is the best. You are both wrong Comfort Ride is the best. HAHA Its like junior high kids at lunch time. My daddy's Chevy is better than your daddy's Ford.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

18 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Friends don't let friends Facebook,

I know I am an outlier here, social media is a time sink that I have no interest in.    Some of my friends and family have tried to lure me into the abyss, just not for me.    The revelations about data harvesting just makes me thank the Lord, I remain a Luddite.

Steve 

3 hours ago, wtgeodog said:

I like John and Steve DON'T & WON'T do facebook. I have long held the thought that facebook was a data mining and for sale outlet.

I will continue to live in my own world and be a Luddite & a COBB.

ShortyO

Steve & Dog, good morning,

Trust me....(Oh ya)  ........so....

My crazy cousin has a Redwing boot box full of overfull passports from 60 years of way, way too much world travel so on her 56th trip to China about 10 years ago she was having dinner with another "consultant" and complained that she never has a TV in her hotel room that works in China.......her dinner companion responds......"well you know that TV does not work because it has a video cam behind the screen so that "THEY" can watch and listen to you...." Cousin responds......."oh those poor "THEY'S" boy oh boy do they get a eye full when I prance out of the shower after my latest upper torso cancer body surgery.......those boys will need a pay raise since the next 5 surgeries to "restore" certain body parts will be fairly rough to view.....LOL"

So.......cousin got herself a compact electrical tool kit and would take take the light switches and receptacles apart and remove the "bugs" and would make earrings and wear them just to give them something to do later as she was out of her room......Most days she would return to the hotel and they had moved her to a new room and that was fine since she would just harvest a new set of "bugs" and make more earrings....... 

She did get the TV's to work again after she would drape a set of erotic Victoria Secrets Negligeeeess  over the TV screen......

Steve & Dog......trust me........NO one is watching or listening ..........Trust meeee...........

Drive on...........(Dance naked in front of the......TV) 

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It concentrates interested and gives quicker feedback.  Pictures are far easier to post as well.  It is a fun board. 

I would almost say slightly different topics as well.. almost pure truck.  Questions asked and responded to very quickly. 

I have met more owners of MDTs on this HDT facebook than here...   it seems to be a fun group.

Does it supersede this forum ?  No, buit it compliments it..

Most folks should know that anything you type on any board/web forum or even in your "private" e-mail..you might as well be painting it on a side of a building.  Unless you drop down into the dark web, there *is no* privacy.. same as conversations on your cell phone.

There is a reason that none of our computers in our house have cameras..and the work laptop my wife has, there is a piece of masking tape over the camera.  25 years in the IT business is my experience. Am I paranoid  ? Not in the slightest but I do know and understand the capabilities/possibilities and I would be foolish to ignore...

I heard a comment which really describes the present kerfuffle on FB..  if you use a service for free, you are the product.. 

Finally, I have stopped using Google etc for a web browser...I moved to a utility that doesn't keep details or history....

https://duckduckgo.com/

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

The problem with Facebook in lieu of Escapees is that most of the content of the Resource Guide came from the Escapees HDT Forum threads. 

Those threads that might have been topics for the Resource Guide go unseen on Facebook.  It has been a while since anything worthwhile has been posted on the Escapees Forum and that is why the Resource Guide has no new information.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

On 3/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, billr said:

X2 what Chad, Henry, David said. 

I went, I saw, I posted.  Got flamed for not agreeing with one of the originators of the group.  Seemed like they were more interested in their own narrow opinions. 

I left. Took a week to get convinced. 

JMHO. 

What? It's acceptable to argue there? Maybe I need to get a Facebook account????

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 3/29/2018 at 10:17 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

This is the exact reason I frequent the FB HDT sites. It is simply easier to deal with.

Another reason - which is relatively minor - is that I can at least mention that we have a business there. Here, if I even mention it, someone will report me. I GUARANTEE, that even this paragraph will get reported. I also get about an email every two weeks telling me that I should not have a link in my signature line to my business. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

3 hours ago, Big5er said:

What? It's acceptable to argue there? Maybe I need to get a Facebook account????

Well technically Phil, everyone EXCEPT You, is allowed to argue on FB....

just sayin....lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

1 hour ago, VegasFlyer said:

Well technically Phil, everyone EXCEPT You, is allowed to argue on FB....

just sayin....lol

Are you sure? Why just me? That's not fair!

Noteven, that was good. Been a long time since I watched any Monty.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived