Spare parts list

bigredhdt

I carry the usual stuff, plus a HD tire plug kit. I asked several Cummins mechanics what fails the most on my N-14, and they said "engine position sensor" so I carry one of those too. Ask a mechanic for same info on your brand of engine.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Spring brake chamber, 2 extra of each fuel filter and oil filter, oil, coolant, governor, airline and fittings, relays, fuses, some different size wires and connectors, electrical tape, silicone hose that fits your turbo plumbing (you will not have any power if one of them blows) and a spare set of belts.

That should give you a good start.

2023 Thor Magnitude XG32

Body condition and knowledge will play into a mechanical parts list, as well. If you don't have arm strength to change a belt, is there really any point carrying a set around?If you can't crawl underneath, a lot of good a grease gun will do you. Don't know how the air system works? Learn now, before you're too flustered to learn what the words on your phone mean. Learn how to troubleshoot your air brake system before you're stuck in a parking lot. As you learn, a tool and parts list will sort itself out.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Sibernut If you had to change that engine position how hard to change? Special tools? Can you do it on the side of the road? Hope you never have to find out. The N14 is in our 98 610. What is a HD tire plug kit?

Gleen And Georgia I like both of your list and will add some of that stuff to my ER pack! Thanks Pat

The Old Sailor

Position sensor. Replaceable with hand tools, sold almost everywhere. If you carry one, you will be blessed by fate to never have to worry about it. Should you loose track of it in the storage bin, you will then suffer the wrath of the heavens.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

"If you don't have arm strength to change a belt, is there really any point carrying a set around?"

I've got to call you on this one Darryl. Just because one person doesn't have the strength to change belts doesn't mean that you shouldn't carry a spare set. The person who DOES have the strength probably won't have the belts readily available. By having basic parts on board, you've already lessened the chance that you'll need them.

Sibernut If you had to change that engine position how hard to change? Special tools? Can you do it on the side of the road? Hope you never have to find out. The N14 is in our 98 610. What is a HD tire plug kit?

Gleen And Georgia I like both of your list and will add some of that stuff to my ER pack! Thanks Pat

The Old Sailor

I carry a pretty decent tool kit, I could change it out. But the point is, if the part goes bad almost any truck mechanic you find could change it. Very slim chance anybody would have the correct part at 4PM on a Friday.

HD tire plug kit is 2 T handles, 1 with a spiral rasp to clean the hole, one with a slot to jam in a "pipe cleaner" repair. Yes, I have done 2 at the side of the road.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Glenn, I carry a decent plug kit figuring I might get a nail in a tire and be able to do a quick repair that would get me by until a better repair can be done. Just because you install a plug, does not mean you can't have the tire pulled off the rim and patched later does it?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I have to keep an index sheet so I know where things are. This is my list copied from MS Word. There are other items in the inside cabinets like window cleaner, paper towels, toilet paper, Awesome, etc. Also a bunch of stuff in the fiver such as 18V tools, impact wrench, saw, etc. and the in-bed compartment on the truck has several 4x4x12 blocks and wheel chocks.

DRIVER SIDE COMPARTMENT

1/2" 3/8" 1/4" socket set and ratchets

3/4" drive sockets, breaker bar, ratchets

Baseball bat

Torx drivers

Screw drivers

Go Jo

PB Blaster

WD-40

Gorilla Tape

Fuel filter

12 Ton air-hydraulic bottle jack

Flares

DRIVER SIDE TOTE BOX

Lug nut cover removal tool (blue plastic)

Large metric open and box end wrenches

Large metric ½” drive impact sockets

Large jaw slip joint pliers

Trouble light

Lug nut removal tool

Air Up tire inflation cans

Pipe wrench

Air line hoses

Blue coveralls

¼” nylon air line tubing

3/8” nylon air line tubing

Leather work gloves

25’ extension 16 AWG cord

LED tripod light

B&D Snake Light

BAG #2

Large Ball Peen hammer

Star drive bits

Alternator/AC belt

Lock pick tool

Tape

Bosch Relays

Yellow coiled ¼” air hose

Extension cord – white 2-wire lamp cord

Bailing wire coil

Chain links for clutch pull

¼” screw type chain links

Washers

Tire plug kit

Air line repair fittings

Vinyl and blue rubber gloves

BAG #1

R134 recharge can and hose/gauge

Oil filter pliers (big jaw)

DAVCO filter wrench

Cage bolts for brake cans

Oil filter bands (3 sizes, ½” drive)

Chain wrench

Allen wrenches

Spare air solenoid

Popsicle sticks

Utility knife

Plumber strap with holes

Air Governor spare

Chip brushes

Duct seal

Compressor bypass hoses (cooling system)

Silicone grease

Spray Lithium grease

3 IN 1 oil

Duct tape (regular)

BAG #3

Soldering iron/gun & solder

Glue gun & sticks

Electrical crimp connectors & tool

Zip cord (wire)

Heat Shrink tubing

Razor blades (single edge)

Dremel Tool & bits

Tape

Exacto blade knife

Precision screw drivers (small set)

Small Crescent adjustable wrench

Knife

REAR SIDE COMPARTMENT

1 gallon engine oil

1 gallon Dextron ATF

1 gallon washer fluid

1 gallon antifreeze

Qt power steering fluid

Qt generator engine oil

Brake fluid

Drop cord (16 AWG, 25’)

Hitch release handle

UPPER COMPARTMENT BOX

ATC Fuses

Spare HID Balast

Replacement marker and front lamps

VOM

Digital O'Scope

JB Weld

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I think if we were to by another truck I would change all sensors. Change the belts and belt tensioner. Fuel selinoid if your engine has one. Throttle positioning sensor also. Also air governor.

Keep all removed parts for spares.

Then learn how to replace o'rings in airline fittings. And have an assortment of fittings on hand. If you have a problem with an odd fitting you maybe sitting for awhile to you get the part. Also have a airline coupler for each size airline on your truck. Plus some airline of each size just in case.

And by a air leak detector. The name of that tool is floating in space at the moment.

And a volt/amp meter that will check DC amps to 800 amps

These items would help greatly if in trouble. And help everyone on the forum to help diagnose your problem

Safe Travels, Vern

I have to keep an index sheet so I know where things are. This is my list copied from MS Word. There are other items in the inside cabinets like window cleaner, paper towels, toilet paper, Awesome, etc. Also a bunch of stuff in the fiver such as 18V tools, impact wrench, saw, etc. and the in-bed compartment on the truck has several 4x4x12 blocks and wheel chocks.

Great list! When reading it I started to think that it was a little excessive :o ...... until I thought about what I carry :rolleyes: ...... We don't have the truck storage capacity that others do, so some of the repair/spare items are in the RV as well.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

To hell with spare parts and a list ...I'm just carrying RandyA with me :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The phone number to CoachNet has always worked for me! Good service and a large flatbed.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

To hell with spare parts and a list ...I'm just carrying RandyA with me :D

........because all of your compartments are full of Dr. Pepper?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Speaking of full cabinets, I tend to keep the sleeper cabinets on the lighter side. My tools and parts mostly ride in the centre section of the bed storage. The cab air-ride seems to like it better that way, and we tend to use the sleeper for travel clothes and road refreshments. I've seen a specific weight rating for total sleeper/cab weight, but don't remember the model/weight/make involved.

Please e-mail us here.

........because all of your compartments are full of Dr. Pepper?

Ya didn't have to tell everyone!! Some folks here mighta just thought I was grumpy all the time and not realized I was just jonesin' for a Dr. Pepper.

Now that's funny right there!! :D

Hush Roger!

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived