Things other RVers or campers do that PLEASE you.

sandsys

Wave and smile as you walk or drive past. Makes a campground feel like a nice neighborhood.

Also, offer to help you back in if the spot is tight, and you seem to be having a problem. I seldom need help, but sometimes it is really hard to back into a spot with a narrow entrance when you are alone. Examples of tight spots would be overhanging tree limbs or boulders on both sides of entrance.

Be friendly. Speak to neighbors when they see you outside. I love to see others stepping up and offering a hand or encouraging word when they see someone working on their rig. Ya never know when they are stumped or frustrated at knowing what to do next. You just might be saving their day or trip from disaster

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Love the RV lifestyle. We have met and made more friends RVing than I ever thought possible. It has been the most rewarding part of RVing / camping ------ Right next to seeing some of the most wonderful sights in the world. Even taking the same route we always are finding new and wonderful places to visit. And we also really like the various electronic travel boards -- including this wonderful site ----- SKPs! Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

This is much more my kind of thread!

The list is much too long to name them all here, but there are so many more good people out there than bad...............

I'll pick only one for now and that would be waving you down if you start to leave with the antenna up, or the step down, or some other small forgotten item that would be bound to cause you grief somewhere on the road.

Thanks Linda! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The only time we've ever had people stay away when we are outside working on the coach was the day we had to change out the slider on the black tank - something about working on the sewage system and people just don't want to get involved. :P

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I guess I'm like Kirk. Too many to list, but I'll take on two of my favorites.

Watching parents take time out of their camping fun to have a teachable moment with their children. Identifying a plant or critter, how to lay up a proper fire, having them walk a grid to police their campsite before heading out... all that sort warms my cockles.

Seeing a camper performing a random act of kindness when they think no one knows. Pickup up a stray plastic bag or other that is not their own, stowing an absent neighbors camp chairs for them when the wind gets fierce, stocking a fellow campers wood pile with their leftovers before heading out, engaging a "wandering youth".

What a place it would be if all of us had a goal of performing one random act a day. ;)

Reading all the helpful advice posted to this forum by folks trying to assist other folks they don’t even know. It is what drew me here and keeps me digging through comments for helpful words of wit on an incredible range of topics.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

In San Francisco while traveling alone with my two young sons, our next door neighbor noticed that one of my RV tires was very low. He waited for us to return, pointed it out to me, checked the pressure, and used his air compressor to put enough into it to get me to the service center my husband managed to locate by phone.

On that same trip, two dads included my sons in their family play at the pool one day. We were having a wonderful trip, but by that time my sons had been away from their own dad for many weeks and really needed a bit of horseplay with someone other than mom.

In a six room motel on a one night stop in Northern Idaho, the owners' son had just installed wifi. My kids who had not seen the Internet for eight weeks at that point asked me when checking in if they had internet. He happily gave us the information, then stopped by an hour later so see if we'd gotten on. When he discovered we hadn't been able to, he worked for two hours to get us access, thrilling my sons with a tiny bit of "home" for that night.

Camp hosts who provided local information, directions to hospitals, storm warnings. Fellow campers who gave us a quick hand backing in, donated leftover firewood, stopped by for a quick chat, I am grateful to everyone of them.

In the fifteen years we've been RVing, I can't count the number of kindnesses shown to us by others we've met along the road. This thread is a good reminder of why we love the life so much and why we can't wait to get out full timing.

Taking the time to let the ranger or campground manager know what a great place their campground is. Complimenting a workamper on the cleanliness of the bathrooms!

Having made a career of customer service and then later been a campground host, this one is really an important thing to do. So many of us will speak up when things are bad, but fail to let the staff know when things are good. It is also important to take the time to let a worker's boss know that you were pleased by an employee because tanking him is good, but to actually do something for that worker you need to tell his boss about it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Anyone who acts like my kids aren't a huge imposition on their life is a-okay in my book.

One lady in particular turned out to have made a huge positive impression on my kids. We parked next to "Miss Esther" for a month or so once. She was a retired first grade teacher, and she took a shining to my boys. On our departure day, she threw a pizza party for our family. She was a gem of a neighbor.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

We really appreciate late arriving neighbors that make an effort to be as quiet as possible while doing a minimal setup, leaving the rest for the morning. I understand that late arrivals are sometimes unavoidable due to various circumstances, but making excessive noise and yelling or even loudly talking is avoidable. We particularly make a point of thanking a new neighbor that arrived after we've gone to bed and we didn't know they were there until we woke up in the morning. :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On a recent visit to an RV park in the Texas Hill Country one of the campers got an urgent phone call with bad news concerning a family member. They decided that they could not wait till morning to pack up. Word got around that they were leaving and soon there was a crowd of fellow campers with flashlights to help. Sadly in the middle of this beehive of activity they received another call with the worst news. They were sent on their way with hugs and best wishes from people they had only known for days or weeks. RV people surely are the best!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Here are just a few:

When we checked in, Mary, the owner, and Linda the office manager, both gave Debbie a hug and said welcome back. This is the type of people that are here. When I had my leg operated on the first winter we were here, one of our neighbors stopped by and asked how many times a day to walk the dogs while Debbie was at the hospital. Not IF but WHEN.

Kathleen, our next door neighbor, stopped by after I got home and left me some homemade chicken soup for my recovery.

A fellow stopping by as I looked under the hood of the truck and wondered to myself how I am going to crawl under the truck with my disability. He says:" I was a fleet meager for 30 years. Want me to take a look for you?"

Being part of a true “community” is a unique experience in my adult life. Very much like a small town, everyone knows the business of the other. The nice thing is that everyone does care about and for each other.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

Having made a career of customer service and then later been a campground host, this one is really an important thing to do. So many of us will speak up when things are bad, but fail to let the staff know when things are good. It is also important to take the time to let a worker's boss know that you were pleased by an employee because tanking him is good, but to actually do something for that worker you need to tell his boss about it.

We greatly appreciated a positive comment while volunteering. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I echo the Respect post. Respect for others and respect for the environment. My downfall is, I forget to approach them and voice my appreciation.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

A friend of mine carried a roll of "golden" Sacagawea dollars. Whenever, he met somebody that he really appreciated he would tell them that they were really "GOLDEN". And then he would hand them a "golden" dollar.

It works.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

We loved it when member of an already established group came over when we pulled in and invited us to that night's, or the next: pot luck/ice cream social/music jam/group tour/etc. We'd stroll with our leashed pups on the way to their designated area. We appreciated the folks whose "precious" ankle biter barking furiously at our pup, was leashed or otherwise restrained from running out and trying to fight our large capable dog. We loved friendly folks stopping by to chat, or invited us over.

We found wonderful people in the SKP parks and coops, as well as private and public state and national parks.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I really like people who acknowlege the fact an outside entertainemt center is only for them to enjoy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived