RVing with a second vehicle (non-towable)

kcaz52398

Hello everyone! Me and my partner are looking at purchasing a small class c. I travel for work and companies keep me in hotels on a ten on four off schedule. The class c is so we can stay together while I work; instead of both of us paying for an apartment I’m never at. I have a Toyota Tacoma TRD which can’t be towed except on a flatbed; the class c we’re planning on getting won’t have the capacity to tow the taco on a flatbed, and we don’t want a huge class c (travel trailer is also out of the question). Does anyone have any advice, recommendations, insights for traveling with a class c and a non towed vehicle? My problems are it doubles fuel/maintenance, and we both have to be driving (no switching drivers like if we had one vehicle). Thanks for the help in advance! 

When we had our Class C (we are now RV-less), we drove separately.  We had walkie-talkies and we never drove very far in a day (usually 150-250 miles, occasionally closer to 300 if it was all Interstate driving...which we tried to avoid if at all possible).

It worked for us.  YMMV.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

My wife has followed me for years. Some of the smaller parks was problem but mst not. But we actually have 3 vehicles. My wife health going own and she don't drive much anymore. We have quit traveling due to this. It is quite boring following a vehicle always. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, kcaz52398 said:

Hello everyone! Me and my partner are looking at purchasing a small class c. I travel for work and companies keep me in hotels on a ten on four off schedule. The class c is so we can stay together while I work; instead of both of us paying for an apartment I’m never at. I have a Toyota Tacoma TRD which can’t be towed except on a flatbed; the class c we’re planning on getting won’t have the capacity to tow the taco on a flatbed, and we don’t want a huge class c (travel trailer is also out of the question). Does anyone have any advice, recommendations, insights for traveling with a class c and a non towed vehicle? My problems are it doubles fuel/maintenance, and we both have to be driving (no switching drivers like if we had one vehicle). Thanks for the help in advance! 

If you want two vehicles, your class C and your Toyota pick up you’re going to have two engines to maintain, register and insure. No way around it legally. I travel with my Ram 3500 TD DRW and a Mazda 3. Makes traveling easier as I can have the Mazda block for me if needed. Plus when parked I get twice the fuel millage. Also if one breaks down, I have something else to drive. The benefits far outweigh negatives. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

13 years fulltiming with 5th wheel, a F350 tow and a follow vehicle.  True we placed the follow vehicle in storage during two trips to Alaska.

I suggest a getting a 4 down towable if togetherness is important to you.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

As you mentioned, there are two options, drive each or trailer the Toyota. But there are two other options, live with only the class C or trade the Toyota for something that is towable. There used to be a company that made kits to enable towing by use of a driveline disconnect or a transmission lube pump but they no longer make them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

KCaz, welcome to the forums!

Actually there is a third option if you don't want to get a towable vehicle four down

I don't know which model truck you have but how about a truck camper? Then maintain storage on a family place like a portable building. We kept a storage building on family property and made an RV full hookup parking spot. We did this for our seven years of full timing. It was where we wintered then we took off and traveled. the rest of the year. Our kids used to live there too. Now they are in Europe, California, and one in Louisiana.

Anyway, I have seen full time RVrs living in tiny Scamp and other small spaces I never would. Then tow a four down or very lightweight car like a Smart car or Chevy Spark.

I don't know your truck's towing specs as they are different.

That would be too small for us but it gives two vehicles. Just another option. Or buy an HDT already set up with a place to put a car on it and then the HDT is the second vehicle. HDT guys need to chime in here as some are extremely reasonable.

We've all been there trying to not buy all new vehicles. So why not trade/sell the truck for a subcompact car within the tow limits of your Class C you want to buy.

Another option is a truck camper and carry two nice eBikes.

Just brainstorming.

Keep us posted and ask questions especially about weights as you get closer.

Anyway here is an article you may like either way:

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/10-best-truck-campers-for-the-2023-toyota-tacoma-mid-size-truck/

Good luck!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

27 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

There is always Uber or renting a car at the destination.

Not always. If metropolitan area, yes. If out in the desert? We rented a car in Key West but never tried to do so in Quartzsite.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Not always. If metropolitan area, yes. If out in the desert? We rented a car in Key West but never tried to do so in Quartzsite.

Linda

You could rent a car in Quartzsite.  https://www.expedia.com/Car-Rentals-In-Quartzsite.d6024006.Car-Rental-Guide

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Many places we have spent any time in, mostly west, there are just no cars available for rental. Great falls, MT comes to mind. It’s a good sized city with an airport, but nothing available for rent. 

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

30 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

Many places we have spent any time in, mostly west, there are just no cars available for rental. Great falls, MT comes to mind. It’s a good sized city with an airport, but nothing available for rent. 

Auto rental in Great Falls, MT.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Just because you post a web link to a search term, doesn't mean there's a vehicle available to rent. Even reserving well ahead is no guarantee that you'll get a vehicle, and even less of a chance, if you need a specific vehicle type. We needed a large passenger van last summer, ended up with three SUV, from three different rental agencies. Had to have three different people rent them, due to location spread, and insurance policies. The initial reservation was entered almost six months in advance, with follow up confirmations every month. The day of pickup, the reservation was there, sans vehicle. No explanation was offered, and a single five passenger SUV was offered in place of a twelve passenger van.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

7 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Just because you post a web link to a search term, doesn't mean there's a vehicle available to rent. Even reserving well ahead is no guarantee that you'll get a vehicle, and even less of a chance, if you need a specific vehicle type. We needed a large passenger van last summer, ended up with three SUV, from three different rental agencies. Had to have three different people rent them, due to location spread, and insurance policies. The initial reservation was entered almost six months in advance, with follow up confirmations every month. The day of pickup, the reservation was there, sans vehicle. No explanation was offered, and a single five passenger SUV was offered in place of a twelve passenger van.

You are right of course, at times there could be not autos available for rent at that particular time in Chicago or Boston or  any city named. That is not the same a no rental companies there, or in your case not a particular vehicle.

That was not the original question though.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Darryl&Rita, you are absolutely correct. Last September, my wife had emergency surgery in Showlow, AZ. approx 332 miles from our winter residence in Yuma, AZ. Stopped in Gila Bend, AZ. to fuel up the dually and started to connect with rental car outfits in Yuma. Due to her surgery it was impossible to for her to ride in the dually. AS contact started things went downhill quickly. I never gave a thought that WTI (weapons training)was going o at the Marine Corps base in Yuma. No agencys in Yuma had any vehicles. A friend who just got back to Yuma from Montana who I called after the agency deal struck out, called car dealers in Yuma who also had none. Then they tried in El Centro, CA. about 60 miles away and Enterprise had ONE. So the next morning the friend took me to El Centro to pick up the ONE. We got to talking to the agent at the counter who overheard us saying we came from Yuma for a car. The agent then said " oh shoot WTI is going on" there as he used to work the counter in Yuma before transferring. He told us that anytime during that month and a half the agencys can have as many as 300 vehicles out at a time. He also mentioned that morning that Enterprise had 42 cars out at Naval Air Station El Centro. Many times all across the US there are many big events or the government that you may not be aware of. Personally I prefer to stay away as much as possible from rental agencys. In 2003 when we left Penna. to go fulltime RVing we had two vehicles coming across the country to Yuma. What a PITA! Now when going back and forth from North to South or vise versa we see this tag team situation alot. We call the following vehicle a "chase car". You see them on phones or walkie talkies constantly and then when putting down for the night is another entertainment deal. Personally, I try to use the KISS theory.  I'd send the Taco down the road and get something that tows 4 down and just make life simple. But that is us!

Edited by bobsallyh

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

In the summer of 22 less than a year ago, you could rent vehicles all day long online.  But when you call, or when the local office calls you, there were zero cars available.  And none for the foreseeable future.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

This one made me curious. So I called Avis just now. Bear In mind it is a major holiday for some and many may be visiting relatives etc. So today should be tougher than most days.

The great thing about phones today is that we can call dang near anywhere in North America free depending on your carrier/plan.

This made me curious so I called Avis, one of several listed with a Google. They said right now 9 April@ 1:24 pm they have several vehicles available in all body types in Great Falls.

Call yourself.

1-800-352-7900

I also dislike dealing with rental companies but have never had a problem getting a car. Even using discount rental companies the worst I have had was having to get a bigger or smaller car than I wanted.

Car rental companies onsite at Great Falls airport include Hertz, Budget, Enterprise, Avis and Alamo. Which car rental companies will pick you up at Great Falls airport (GTF)? Car rental companies that offer shuttle or pick-up services from Great Falls airport to off-airport locations include Hertz, Budget, Enterprise, Avis, and Alamo.

Try calling some.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the helpful tips so far.

A little more background for some earlier replies: when I first got the taco two years ago i outfitted it to live in as an over-landing vehicle while traveling (didn’t plan on meeting anyone, and we have two dogs). The work that’s been done to it has impacted the vehicles carrying capacity and thus the weight it can hold on the hitch, so towing something that is comfortable for an couple and two dogs isn’t an option with it. Yes I could trade it in, but with all the work I’ve done to it personally and all the adventures I’ve been on with it, I really really really don’t want to have to trade it in. This is something I’ve been going over for the past three months so I know it’s going to come down to two options. 

1) Travel with both the class c and the taco as a non towed. 
2) Store the Tacoma (another expense)

Our goals are to travel together and save money right now (while putting money towards something we own instead of an apartment) so the big red flag for me is that option one doubles maintenance and especially fuel (it’s not a matter of being unable to afford the extra cost as must as justifying that expenditure) We’re planning on mostly boon docking so the Tacoma will have easier accessibility for day trips/exploring (especially forestry roads in the mountains). While I know that it’s smart to have both, especially in case of a breakdown with the class c, I am have a very hard time justifying the added cost. 

Think of it this way:  The Tacoma probably gets much better fuel mileage than the Class C.  Drive the Class C and park it and then you'll be tooling around in something that gets better mileage.  Your friend would appreciate have a car to use when you're at work.  Will she be working, also?

I would recommend keeping both and at least see how it works out.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Many years ago when we were researching the possibility of full-timing we had the "AHA" moment when we realized that we would have something towing something else. Then the question became truck and trailer or MH and towed. We guessed on how many miles of traveling and how many miles of daily driving in a year, and did the math.

In your case, though, you have different requirements. You spent money to set the truck up the way you wanted it at that time. Now your situation has changed, and you will have to decide how best to handle that change. A Class C often comes up short in the towing capacity, so take that into consideration. A Class A may offer more towing capability for the same cost. Driving two vehicles separately increases fuel costs, but also allows the Tacoma to be a scout.

FWIW, a couple of years ago we had a towbar misbehave, so for the first several days of the trip we had to drive separately until we got to our appointment at Blue Ox. Overall, it wasn't too bad, but it did add to the cost of that part of the trip.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

That pretty well covers all the facts and options, now it's to make the tough decisions.

What is the towing capacity of the Class C you are looking at and have you weighed your Toyota? According to online the Toyota might be around 4500#. You can buy a lightweight aluminum car hauler trailer that weighes around 1500# or less. This puts it at about 6000# total weight.

The only other option I could suggest but you said no to a travel trailer, would be to go with a Dune Sport Toyhauler trailer which makes trailers that can haul vehicles like jeeps and SUVs (ours hauls our 5700# full size van), put the Toyota in it and then buy a truck to pull it. The cost of the Toyhauler and tow vehicle may be cheaper than your class C you were planning on.  

Otherwise RVing is all about what you are willing to compromise on and give up. Good luck in your search.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.