Need advise on driving to Bozeman MT.

BPepper

Well, I found a fifth wheel i am wanting to buy but the problem is it is located in Bozeman, Montana. I am in Gulf Shores, AL. I've never been to Montana or the Northwest in general. I will be driving my 2001 Volvo 660 singled with an open diff. Any pointers on ways to go? Do I need chains, tire socks, etc? I have no idea what is legally required or a must have to make the trip. I have looked into having it transported but the cost is ridiculously high. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not quite sure how to do that. The sellers are military and are leaving the country. As of now, they have no way to move the rv. Do they use salt on the roads in that part of the country? I'm originally from the northeast rustbelt and I'm very familiar with salt and rusted out vehicles. I've always been told they don't treat the roads with salt out west. 

My preference would be to fly there first with down payment in hand and wait a bit to drive up and get it.  We have a sister fifth wheel and if that was the size we were looking for, I'd do whatever was necessary to make sure I had first refusal.  You'd pay 10 times their asking price for a better constructed new RV.  Good luck!

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I guess flying is not an option since it's a 5th wheel.... you'll need a way to haul it home.  Unless .... you fly and hire someone to put it in storage until you can drive there in better weather.  Lots to explore in the Bozeman area so that would be a good place to break it in when you go and pick it up.   Or.... try calling storage places & perhaps they can recommend someone to move it to a storage place.  You don't need to be there for the financial settlement.

Yes, Montana uses salt on the roads. 

https://www.uppermissouriwaterkeeper.org/roadway-de-icer-rubbing-salt-in-the-wounds/

Yes, you need to carry chains.

https://www.mdt.mt.gov/mdt/mdt-faq.aspx

Here's the route:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gulf+Shores,+Alabama/Bozeman,+MT/@38.3060541,-112.34804,5z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x889a1ad89231ee4d:0xc6ba715075f6d16f!2m2!1d-87.7008193!2d30.2460361!1m5!1m1!1s0x5345444c4fba8813:0x63f5d064f73b60aa!2m2!1d-111.0319925!2d45.6814733!3e0

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You will need to have approved chains onboard, but don't plan on using them. Far better to sit and wait for roads to improve, especially when bobtail. Keep an eye on the weather forecast, it changes quick in Montana and nearby. Plan ahead, be flexible with your timetable, and you should be fine. Mountain snow is a bit different than Eastern snow, dryer, so more blowing snow and drifting. Just be ready to stop for poor weather.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We have never been there this time of year, but very confident the chain info above is good advice.  They are serious about the high passes in MT.  Heavy snow and fog can hit those areas without notice.  
If you’re interested, there are a couple of RV parks nearby.  They are quite pricey in the summer.  The best option in my opinion is the Gallatin County Fairgrounds.  BE SURE TO RESERVE AHEAD.  The fairgrounds campground gets some traffic, and they can be sticky about letting you camp there without reservations.  Property values and rents have skyrocketed more than the national average and there are many many homeless in the area.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  Maybe because it’s a big college town.  The breweries are concentrated on the east side of town with many good restaurants scattered all around town.  If you have any extra time at all don’t miss the Museum of the Rockies, south of town.

We found one large RV dealer with parts and service west of Bozeman.  There might be more, but we were shopping for parts at the time and it was the closest.  I think truck service and parts are more northwest in Belgrade, MT. We never got up there but there might be a truck dealer or 2 there.  

Another alternative is Livingston, MT a few miles east.  There are 2 or 3 RV parks in that town and you might have better luck (again I know about summer and fall not winter). The town seems a lot quieter too.  We used a hole in the wall truck service place in Livingston for steer tires and an oil change.  Try “Beefburgers” for a takeout meal.

Sorry I wasn’t much help on the weather there in winter.  🙂

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

South Dakota and Wyoming just got totally blasted with snow.  Should be good by the time you get there. Good Luck. 

Don't go down the mountains any faster than you went up and you will be fine. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

22 hours ago, BPepper said:

Not quite sure how to do that. The sellers are military and are leaving the country. As of now, they have no way to move the rv. Do they use salt on the roads in that part of the country? I'm originally from the northeast rustbelt and I'm very familiar with salt and rusted out vehicles. I've always been told they don't treat the roads with salt out west. 

23 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Just an idea, but if you dont need it right away, see if you can have it stored until the salt is washed off of the road. ?

22 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

My preference would be to fly there first with down payment in hand and wait a bit to drive up and get it.  We have a sister fifth wheel and if that was the size we were looking for, I'd do whatever was necessary to make sure I had first refusal.  You'd pay 10 times their asking price for a better constructed new RV.  Good luck!

I agree with all the above. 

My biggest regret was pulling my "BRAND NEW" trailer on freshly treated roads during the first week of owning. I should have known better. 

If you are serious enough in the purchase to drive your truck all the way to get it, then flying there to take a look, arrange for it to stay till you got back and to place a good insurance policy on it may be the best. Wait till at least late spring and ensure you have enough time to wait if needed if the weather changes.  I have not visited much of Montana, but I have gone across the Rocky Mountains a few times and I wouldn't do it in the winter unless my life depended on it. 

Fuel will be very expensive on your drive and driving "Bobtail" isn't the most fun for that distance. If you really calculate it out you might find the shipping is actually reasonable. You might find it possible to have someone do a partial move. Get it far enough South that you will be comfortable getting it the rest of the way home. 

Again flying up is probably the best option and I HATE to FLY, but would do it in this situation. If it were me. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I'm just curious.  Have you paid for it yet?  I had a scammer try to take me from same area a couple years back.  Told them I would pay after I showed up to see it in person, all of a sudden it was stored at another base.  When I told them no problem, I have friends stationed there and they could go see it first.  As quick as they could, they e-mailed me back saying it was being moved to another storage facility at another location.  Told me where, then I told them no problem, I can easily get there to check it out.  With some nasty replies from them, they disappeared.

My point is, have you or a friend actually inspected said camper?  I would not worry if it was from one of the dealerships there but.....

If it's real, maybe contact one of the dealerships there, maybe for a fee they can inspect it, pick it up and store it there for you.  I've driven through that area a few times this time of the year, I would not chance going there/picking it up.  IMHO

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

The thing about weather in every state I have visited. The locals would always say "Hey if you don't like the weather, stay a while and it will change." For 30+ years I thought that was an Iowa saying. Of course I didn't stay very long in Southern California which until 2023 has had mostly the same weather for as long as most can remember. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

In 20012 we were going to buy a used fifthwheel from a very small dealer in Florida.

The dealer was buying low end rv’s and reselling them. But he had a Teton that looked in respectable condition.

So do I pay him for it. Do I trust him.   It took some thinking, but I finally thought to get the vin number. I called the state DOT and checked the vin number. They said he did have a clear title to ownership of it. If it is financed what does it take to get a clear title.

So you could asked for the vin to check on it. You would need the vin to get insurance on it anyway. Your insurance company may even check with the DOT for true ownership.

just thinking.   

So do you have experience driving big trucks. Or did you buy the truck for pulling a fifthwheel.   I am from Montana and road conditions can change quite easily.   I have been known to sit in a truck stop for a few days for the weather to clear up.   If you figure it out to purchase it. Try calling a rv dealership or a storage facility to see if it could be stored. And if they know someone that could move it for you..   Also consider if there is going be high winds when you are going to be traveling.

In Montana and Wyoming if there weather or road conditions are bad enough they close the interstate highways, if needed.

if this would be your first time pulling with a big truck I believe you should wait to the weather is in your favor.

we are sorta stuck in South Carolina probably till the end of March or April. So I cannot stop and check on it for you. 

Vern

I've been pulling a 46 foot fifth wheel with the volvo for over 3 years. Been pulling big trucks and trailers for over 20. Have had a class a cdl for 15 years. Have tons of experience just not in the northwest in winter. I grew up driving in Pennsylvania and West Virginia so I'm used to winter driving and hills, not mountains. I have no reason to believe its a scam, I've been buying and selling big items for years and have done my due diligence. My biggest concern is just getting the rv picked up before the end of March. I have contacted a few transport companies but they all want between $3.50 and $5.00 per mile. That's a hard pill to swallow when I can do it myself for about $2000 round trip for fuel. 

So you do have experience, that makes a big difference.

If you are free to go as you want, then the next thing to do is to watch state DOT web sites for weather conditions and closures. And conditions can change real quick.

One time I was waiting in Missoula Mt for the road conditions to clear up headed east. So by 10 am the road map was saying clear I-90 going east bound. Well we did see a few trucks off in the bushes on our way.   A few miles west of I-15 near Butte Mt I noticed two trucks quite a distance in front of us driving in the left lane. Now what are they doing.      Then i noticed that the right lane had a sheet of ice on it. I was going about 50 mph, just very gently held the throttle so no push or pull on the tires. Gently steered into the left lane. Apparently the salt truck ran out of material at that point.

Stopped at a truck stop. I talked to two cattle haulers that came north on I-15. They said it was clear going south.  Off to Salt Lake City and beyond we went.

I-25 through Denver is something I refuse to drive unless I reallllly need to. I norm drive up two lane truck roads in eastern Colorado. Just my preference.

Be safe ,   Vern

On 2/25/2023 at 7:57 AM, BPepper said:

it is located in Bozeman, Montana.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:24 AM, BPepper said:

The sellers are military and are leaving the country.

As a truck driver you should have no problem going there to pick it up.  Just watch the weather, it can change in a heart beat.  I say that because I live in the adjoining state and experience it personally.  I'm also a retired truck driver, I do know how the road conditions in our area can do a 180 in a blink of an eye here.

The above remarks you made just leaves me a little curious.  Bozeman, and the only military base in Great Falls, are 177 miles apart.  That leaves me to wonder..??  Have they left it at a dealership for them to sale?  If so, would not that dealership store it for you?  But you said you did your due diligence in checking this out.  I hope it's not a scam.  If they are in Bozeman area, the only thing I can think of is they are there pulling recruiter duty?

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

5 hours ago, BPepper said:

I grew up driving in Pennsylvania and West Virginia so I'm used to winter driving and hills, not mountains. 

I really think the eastern 'hills' are worse than western interstates in winter.  Shorter hills in summer in the Ozarks are worse than an interstate mountain pass.  Short hills are always more difficult than a longer gradual stretch especially if they have curves.

The route I'd recommend to keep you south the longest is I-40, I-35N to I-70W to Denver. Then I-25/I-90 to Bozeman.  If you take I-29 to Sioux Falls then I-90 you'll have a long stretch driving north and west.

You have plenty of experience with a big rig.  You'll have no trouble.  Hopefully, you can allow extra days to get there just in case you have to spend a night to wait out conditions.   Monitor the weather carefully hourly.

You can do it!

Full-timed for 16 Years

Congratulations on finding the fifth wheel you want to buy! As for driving from Gulf Shores, AL to Bozeman, MT, there are several different routes you can take depending on your preferences and any specific sights or destinations you want to visit along the way.

One popular option is to take I-40 west to Albuquerque, NM, then head north on I-25 to Denver, CO. From Denver, you can take I-70 west to Grand Junction, CO, then head north on I-15 through Salt Lake City, UT and on to Bozeman. This route is relatively straightforward and avoids any particularly steep mountain passes.

As for legal requirements for driving through the mountains, it's important to check the weather and road conditions before you go. If you encounter snow or ice on the roads, you may need tire chains or socks to ensure traction and avoid getting stuck or sliding off the road. However, the specific requirements for chains or socks can vary by state and by the conditions you encounter, so it's important to research the laws and regulations for each state you'll be driving through.

In addition to ensuring your tires are properly equipped, it's a good idea to have a well-maintained vehicle and to carry emergency supplies like food, water, blankets, and a first aid kit. It's also a good idea to have a backup plan in case of unexpected delays or issues with your vehicle.

Overall, driving across the country can be an exciting adventure, but it's important to plan carefully and be prepared for the conditions you may encounter along the way. Safe travels!

On 2/25/2023 at 9:24 AM, BPepper said:

. The sellers are military and are leaving the country.

In Bozeman, Montana? The only military there is the Montana Natl. Guard and some recruiters. If the seller isn't a recruiter, I'd be really cautious.

On 2/26/2023 at 11:33 AM, NDBirdman said:

My point is, have you or a friend actually inspected said camper? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Anawilliam850 said:

One popular option is to take I-40 west to Albuquerque, NM, then head north on I-25 to Denver, CO. From Denver, you can take I-70 west to Grand Junction, CO, then head north on I-15 through Salt Lake City, UT and on to Bozeman. This route is relatively straightforward and avoids any particularly steep mountain passes.

I-70 west of Denver is not recommended.  It has 11,000' elevation.... definitely a biggie!

Full-timed for 16 Years

29 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I-70 west of Denver is not recommended.  It has 11,000' elevation.... definitely a biggie!

Ditto that!! After sliding on glare ice through the Eisenhower Tunnel, I've no desire to ever return - any time of year! Travel west of Denver at your own risk - and it is risky... Jay

There is one big hill between Bozeman and Livingston, MT. East of that it is mostly flat. Blowing snow is the biggest danger out in the open of WY and SD. There is possibility of snow into April, but as it warms up the blowing usually isn’t as bad.

If you have been off the interstate in PA/WV you have seen worse hills than you will find in that part of the west. As long as you are not in a rush you can always wait the weather out.