Fun while it lasted

Av8r3400

Bummer.  My mom lost all the electrical in her pick up several years ago due to a lightning strike.  She was driving it at the time too.  It was a close one.  Hopefully you can work something out.  I have a little bit of recent experience with unexpected major changes so I feel your pain.

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Thats the second truck to get hit by lightning. I believe Rogers Jones old red Volvo got hit shortly after he sold it. If I remember right the guy got it fixed. 

Make that the third one. Bill Burton lost his first truck to lightning.

On 7/24/2022 at 7:37 AM, jenandjon said:

Thats the second truck to get hit by lightning. I believe Rogers Jones old red Volvo got hit shortly after he sold it. If I remember right the guy got it fixed. 

Yes it did and he got it fixed, too out all computers and the new dash I installed. 
He was glad I gave him a book of receipts for his insurance company. 

Posted (edited)

It left Airventure on the hook Tuesday to a Volvo dealer in FonDuLac.   They are hoping to get it in the shop next week to evaluate it.  

Until then, we’re not sure if it will live another day or…

Edited by Av8r3400

Depending on the terms of the insurance coverage, it should be covered. I had a Class A that was hit while heading east on I40 in Arizona in the mountains west of Flagstaff. State Farm covered it, less our comprehensive deductible. Also, covered the repairs to our Grand Cherokee Toad, less Comp Deductible. Took about 2 weeks to get it all sorted out!

First word from the shop is encouraging.  They have it running!  

They needed to arc the starter, because the key switch doesn't work, but it ran on it's own.  Obviously the ECM is partially toasted, but it does run.  An ECM is on order now and we'll see what happens from here...

That is interesting that they got it started. So not all is lost.

I am sure they have experienced working on that issue before. They probably powered the ignition somewhere past the switch. Then power the starter solenoid.

First it turned over. Then it started.

Now to find what all is bad. One part at a time. And replace the bad parts. The other thing would be interesting to know, does the dash functions.

But it is looking good