Will your next car be electric?

Kirk W

1 hour ago, durangodon said:

There are those with the imagination and vision to venture into the unknown.  There are others with the practical knowledge and mechanical skills to recognize the challenges and make it happen.  It takes both kinds of people to create.   It's foolish and unproductive to criticize either.

Right! That brings to mind George Westinghouse, Thomas Edison, Nicola Tesla, Henry Ford, and yes, Hedy Lamarr, and a multitude of others.

Kirk, I have decided I will own an electric pickup when the infrastructure here will support the technology.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why yes Kirk, my next vehicle is electric. I just ordered my new Rivian R1T four motor 310 mile range EV pickup truck fully electric tow vehicle already in production. We will be selling our last gas vehicle, the Forester when it comes in, hopefully in 2022. It is very much like the Tesla inside. Here is an article about them, the factory, and the middle Americans making them. They will start by making the truck and an EV  delivery van that Amazon has committed to buy lots of, as well as an SUV to be put into production ASAP.

https://pantagraph.com/business/local/achievements/watch-now-rivian-normals-economic-rebound-featured-on-today-show/article_75a0c576-e341-5cda-b60c-2302d67594ef.html

It can rock climb stock, yet rides like a car on pavement. My state is already doing more renewables and increasing their clean electric generating plants.

This guy reviews the Ford F-150 EV, the Tesla Cybertruck, and the Rivian and he is a fellow Tesla owner. In the last section Q&A the first question is which he would buy, he tells which he would buy and it is not the Cybertruck!

But for the skeptics and traditional truck owner this is as non pushy non-partisan. He hows all the specs and pro and cons of each and he is one of the few who has driven and ridden in each one! I know many of you would rather put your eyes out than look at anything about EVs let alone EV trucks that can tow and do 0-60 in ~ 3 seconds. If you are curious it is the best non-fanatic info on these three first EV trucks.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 10/25/2021 at 11:37 AM, Ray,IN said:

I have decided I will own an electric pickup when the infrastructure here will support the technology.

I'm not sure if I will own either an electric truck or car, but have no doubt that my sons will. Because I am nearing the age of 80, I'm not sure how many more vehicles I'll own. I doubt that I'll replace our present diesel truck as it should serve to tow our travel trailer as long as we will be continuing to use it. I see the infrastructure coming and expect that you quite likely will drive electric before you stop driving. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, you might want to consider a hybrid - a good way to transition to electric.  We really love ours - fill once a month a whole 10 gallons (and I do it every month because I usually have 10-20 cents off at either Safeway or Kroger fuel stations that will expire that month.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

11 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I'm not sure if I will own either an electric truck or car, but have no doubt that my sons will. Because I am nearing the age of 80, I'm not sure how many more vehicles I'll own. I doubt that I'll replace our present diesel truck as it should serve to tow our travel trailer as long as we will be continuing to use it. I see the infrastructure coming and expect that you quite likely will drive electric before you stop driving. 

I think we are the near same age, 78, I'll be 79 Dec. 25. They say age is a stated of mind. I sure wish someone would tell this old body to get onboard.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

25 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I think we are the near same age, 78, I'll be 79 Dec. 25. They say age is a stated of mind. I sure wish someone would tell this old body to get onboard.

We are close. I was 79 on Sept. 18. Santa brought you! I believe that Barb OK is only a few years younger than us, but we don't ask a lady her age.  😊

54 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

I had the 37th Anniversary of my 39th Birthday six months ago.

Just a girl!  If I were to trade cars today I would look at a hybrid. Particularly since we drive more in the city than on the highway today. Hybrid  cars do best in city driving while my VW will match or beat them on a long interstate highway trip. Since we kept our last car for 9+ years it is uncertain if we will get another car. 

X2 on the hybrid.  We currently have a 2020 ford escape hybrid titanium awd and can be towed 4 down.  

It's our 3rd escape hybrid,they hold their values very well. 

The latest technology is amazing . Adaptive cruise control driver assist and safety systems.  Latest sync and navigation with a B&O sound system. 

We like 👍 

On 11/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, palmeris said:

X2 on the hybrid.  We currently have a 2020 ford escape hybrid titanium awd and can be towed 4 down.  

It's our 3rd escape hybrid,they hold their values very well. 

The latest technology is amazing . Adaptive cruise control driver assist and safety systems.  Latest sync and navigation with a B&O sound system. 

We like 👍 

Same here, we really love our 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium AWD.   As long as there are hills and mountains, we get better overall mpg on highways than city, up to about 44mpg.  City driving the tank mpgs are more like 34 (lots of short trips) to 40mpg.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Getting back to the original question....."will my next car be electric".

I would love to buy a electric car......here are my parameters that must be met.

125 miles range......in ZERO degree temperatures with a 4000 foot elevation gain.  Must be all-wheel drive.

Posted the requirements on a automotive site and it was the ZERO temps and 4000 foot elevation gain that electric vehicles cannot meet within the 125 mile range.

For that limited use, I would have to limit my purchase to $20,000.  

My electricity is almost free, but the issues with electric cars is that they work great in flat ground with warm temperatures.  Conditions not met in the places I frequent.

Though thanks to RV I do have a source on new batteries for my solar house that do not need heating like lithium.  The WSJ had a interesting article on mixing lithium with these batteries to allow electric cars to work in cold climates.

I think as a urban commuter vehicle electric cars make sense.  

I would not use them in the woods or in the outback.  

I would love to have functioning cheap batteries for my HOUSE first!!!!

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

10 hours ago, Vladimir said:

125 miles range......in ZERO degree temperatures with a 4000 foot elevation gain. 

That does bring up an interesting issue. I found quite a bit on the subject when doing a search but this was the article that I found most interesting. EV Mythbusters: Electric Vehicles Can't Handle Our Cold Saskatchewan Winters

14 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Getting back to the original question....."will my next car be electric".

I would love to buy a electric car......here are my parameters that must be met.

125 miles range......in ZERO degree temperatures with a 4000 foot elevation gain.  Must be all-wheel drive.

Posted the requirements on a automotive site and it was the ZERO temps and 4000 foot elevation gain that electric vehicles cannot meet within the 125 mile range.

For that limited use, I would have to limit my purchase to $20,000.  

My electricity is almost free, but the issues with electric cars is that they work great in flat ground with warm temperatures.  Conditions not met in the places I frequent.

Though thanks to RV I do have a source on new batteries for my solar house that do not need heating like lithium.  The WSJ had a interesting article on mixing lithium with these batteries to allow electric cars to work in cold climates.

I think as a urban commuter vehicle electric cars make sense.  

I would not use them in the woods or in the outback.  

I would love to have functioning cheap batteries for my HOUSE first!!!!

We will use 45,000wh of lithium iron phosphate batteries in our house.  By diy cell build the cost is still expensive but doable.  Our garage is conditioned space and the batteries will be in there.  The electric company wanted $10,000 to put the power in so we decide to go solar.  For just a bit more we will not have a monthly bill.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

5 hours ago, Randyretired said:

We will use 45,000wh of lithium iron phosphate batteries in our house.  By diy cell build the cost is still expensive but doable.  Our garage is conditioned space and the batteries will be in there.  The electric company wanted $10,000 to put the power in so we decide to go solar.  For just a bit more we will not have a monthly bill.

That's twice I have in my Teton

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

54 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

That's twice I have in my Teton

I don't want to run short even on a streak of short winter days.  I already have 25- 285 watt panels and I plan to order 25 more.  There is plenty of room.  Short winter days worry me and I want to be able to use my welders and other tools.  I am trying to figure out a 2 wire auto start generator if the batteries are low.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I understand. That a lot of battery regardless. My opinion, never too much storage. 

When our daughter's solar system made more electricity than they needed they sold the excess to the local utility company.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Petroleum fuel has already had its heyday and is soon destined to become a fuel of the past, just like steam power and thankfully whale oil have. History does repeat itself. Electricity/battery seems to be our next powered evolution and who knows what is after that! People will resist change, that's natural, but they can't stop progress.

12 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I'm curious what the life span is for the batteries and how that cost figures into the long term pay back. The $10k electric company cost might be a better bargain over the life span of the house.

Edited by gjhunter01

On 11/6/2021 at 6:45 AM, Kirk W said:

That does bring up an interesting issue. I found quite a bit on the subject when doing a search but this was the article that I found most interesting. EV Mythbusters: Electric Vehicles Can't Handle Our Cold Saskatchewan Winters

How to start your Tesla at -34C in Saskatoon, SK

Link to a video

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.