Spec's For Air Bag Ride Height

Cotreker

Once upon a time I watched a Volvo tech adjust my ride height as a result of replacing my air adjuster the notes I keep are as follows with one question.

Procedure: 

1. Measure Ground to bottom of Frame (28.5")

2. Measure  Ground to center axle shaft (20.25")

Difference is ride height 8.25"

The Spec is 7.99". My question is what is the +/- value _____________

My truck is long wheelbase 300" if Vin is needed will supply.  Putting this out to the Volvo folks in case this is easy.......

Volvo 2006 VNL 670 Long flat bed

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

The Writer of the Instructions is working to make a Simple Job harder and more stressful.  Added Math for differences in Tire Heights(Grd to Axle Center), US Built Class 8 Air Rides measure Air Spring height by the distance of Top of Axle Tube to the Frame Mounted Bump Stop.  My own KW is "Suggested" at 4.25". adjustable Up or Down if need stiffer support or Less Stiff.  Dropping to 4" reduced air bag pressure by an equivalent 6-8 psi, same for increasing to 4.5", these measurements made at rear most axle.

1 hour ago, Parrformance said:

So +/- .675 inch. 1.25 inch total range?

3/4 inch range, how much depends on your frame type.  My 660 has a low frame.  Measure from the weld on the axle tube to the bottom of the frame.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Ok just measured my frame rails they are High Frame Rails.  I think Volvo set my truck too high.  It is at 8.25 and should fall within 7 - 7.75.  This is good news for me as I could use a lower deck for my 5th wheel plate.  The Volvo tech struggled to understand and get values.  I plan to lower to 7.25.

comments

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Dennis- I went through this exercise last year and found that using only math, caused me to mock my hitch up too high.  One I loaded my trailer and put the air at the correct pressure for my application, I found that REAL world results were much more accurate.  My hitch works fine now.  Part of my work was to extend the frame rails as well as installing a TSLB and new wiring.  The wiring on my truck was in some places, burned, so I deleted it all and installed a junction box with a terminal strip, which will improve and troubleshooting efforts in the future, esp since I know the guy that will likely DO the troubleshooting.  I also replaced my Smart Brake with a DirecLink.  Nice improvement.

Marcel

I am alittle high hence looking at the leveling value to take away about one inch if you smart folks think that will be OK?  The TSLB was alot of work to install, just put in the last 8 bolts 5/8"x 2" today.  Have not tied into my air system to be able to air up the hitch bags.  About to start a new post on ramps to get a Jeep up on my deck.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

I found it less hassle to just use air T-eed from my cab air bags and added a SIMPLE regulator.  If you deal with same trailer then why not just set it and forget it, except when you do your walk around.  I try to apply the KISS principle as often as I can 

Marcel