rickeieio

As the title says, if you were doing it over. what model truck would you want, and why?

We're contemplating trading trucks, and I'm waffling between a Volvo 630 and 730, or a KW 680.  I'd like a 630 to get a little shorter overall, but the 730 offers more space for low mount boxes, letting me get rid of my toolbox on the bed, thus making the bed shorter.  As for the KW, I seem to be finding mostly PACCAR motors, would prefer Cummins, but I haven't given up.  

The refrigerators in the 630s are really little but we rarely us ours anyway.  Work stations are rare in the 630, but one could be sourced at a junk yard.

So, what's your dream truck?

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie K100, with the biggest bunkhouse I could get. Factory single, in a tandem axle wheelbase. 13k+ front axle, 23k rear. Maybe talk to Jack, maybe fab my own deck again. Aussie Argosy models are pretty nice, too. The Euro models run too small sleeper compartments for us. Probably have to look at a custom trailer now, too.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Why not indeed.  There's a lot of them out there, mostly with the PACCAR motor. Seeings how many used ones there are, and they seem to be selling new ones, can that motor be so bad?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I’d do another 730 in a minute.  It fits my mission perfectly.

The only change I would do is to add an OD iShift and a 2.67 rear end with a locker.  

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

If I were to buy a Volvo brand, I'd go with the 730, or change it to the Mid roof Mack (same drivetrain just red instead of green). Go with the 13L and overdrive I-shift, redesign it with a tag rear axle that can be lifted, and a locker on the front axle.

If a KW midroof was the option, then a Cummins and Allison for the drivetrain, with the rear set up like above. It would need a workstation, of some sort though.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Rick, I would order another T680 in a heartbeat. In fact, very little would change from what I have, Cummins X15 instead of my ISX and probably the new 12 speed instead of the 13 speed ultra shift plus.

If pushed, I would considered an ultraloft Pete but only if KW quit making the T680. Funny how different they feel inside and on the road.

2023 Thor Magnitude XG32

If money were no object, then I would do a new Argosy with the biggest sleeper I could get with all the bells and whistles.  I want to keep the truck as short as possible for overall length (to go with the custom toy hauler I have designed in my head).  I have a custom bed design in my head to go on the truck.  Of course I have never driven an Argosy, so that could change if I don’t like the ride.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I would have GeorgiaHybrid give me his truck as a “goodwill gesture” then he could get what he wants.  😜
Seriously though, I would like a 730 with iShift speced like Av8r3400 singled mid.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I did a search for vnl62t730 and found 7 trucks, six were almost identical and at the same dealer in MN.  Too many miles on the odometer.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Howdy All,

Keep what I have, add MORE chicken lights, chrome and a real train horn. 😁

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I did a search for vnl62t730 and found 7 trucks, six were almost identical and at the same dealer in MN.  Too many miles on the odometer.....

Another one.

That is probably going to be a pretty rare spec. When I was shopping a couple years ago, I did see a few batches of 6x2s run through one of the auctions. Brought too much coin for me to have any interest.

7 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Keep what I have, add MORE chicken lights, chrome and a real train horn. 😁

Dave

Do you have a matching chain-drive wallet?  LOL

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Help me understand the appeal of the "62" (unpowered tag axle) instead of "64" tandem drives?

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

7 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Do you have a matching chain-drive wallet?  LOL

Howdy Av8r3400,

Well I did, many years ago when I was running around on Hot Rod Sportster, only way I could keep money in my pocket as that sucker vibrated at speed so bad  it would shake a regular wallet out of your pocket. :wacko:

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Actually my truck is where I would start with a "dream" truck.    My dream would be my lil kitty C13 with a late Allison automatic.    Add all wheel disc brakes, a couple of nice seats and, a few gizmos.    The dream is only incomplete because finding Allison part$ for a Cat are $pecial in a real costly way.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

1 hour ago, Av8r3400 said:

Help me understand the appeal of the "62" (unpowered tag axle) instead of "64" tandem drives?

I would presume, no first hand experience with one but that's what I would like I think, that with it down it would ride like a tandom with it up it would turn like a singled short and, in my opion only, might have more traction especially if the tandoms don't have lockers.  I singled short and it may ride a little ruffer, hard to tell as I added the deck when I singled, but now my needs have changed and I am about as long as I can get without adding a tag, I will live with it a couple of more years before I decided. 

10 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

For a commercial guy it is all about weight savings.  It would give you a little extra payload.

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

11 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

If you're singling, it's less work, and you get an axle with a higher input rating.  The yoke/input shaft/gears are all sized to handle the torque, where a regular tandem has the pair of differentials sized to share the load.  Remove one, and the remainder will not last as long, not that it seems to be a problem.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 12/21/2020 at 9:22 PM, Moresmoke said:

Another one.

That is probably going to be a pretty rare spec. When I was shopping a couple years ago, I did see a few batches of 6x2s run through one of the auctions. Brought too much coin for me to have any interest.

I checked on that one.  It sold in Feb. '19.

But I did have a very nice chat with the manager of that location, Jason, who's a farm boy.  He has a 2000 KW 900 Super C.  He filled me in on the issues of the MX-13 engine v. the Cummins.  He said anything post 2016 will be fine with the MX motor, to the point that he just ordered some for his family's farm trucks.  So, that may open some doors for late T-680/Pete 579 units.  The Cummins powered units bring about a $2,000 premium, which is peanuts, but they're also harder to find.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I would be happy with a late 80's Kenworth W900B with a walk thru to dromedary box for motorbikes, atv, a fold down bed and stuff for short camping trips ("motorhome" conversion is not required where I register),  Caterpillar 3406C mechanical engine, adjusted to apply approximately 650 horsepowers to the road under the rear mocassins.  18speed, locking diffs. Analog everything except for the tunes and GPS. Seattle interior. Bose seat. Hardwood floor. 4 round air horns, bullet clearance lamps, cb aerials laid forward at 45 degrees. No coolio drop visor you can't see out of. Heated mirrors. Maybe even polish the aluminum and stainless steel. No tupperware. Quiet exhaust. Engine and nut behind the wheel settings to keep exhaust opacity to an absolute minimum. 

And when I got too old and uncoordinated and / or lazy to shift manual trans (as if there would be much shifting to do see engine request above) I would convert to an Allison trans. 

It would look kinda like this but this is a W900 A model 

Ken Sweet Kenworth W900A  & RV trailer

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.