rickeieio

2 hours ago, noteven said:

I would be happy with a late 80's Kenworth W900B with a walk thru to dromedary box for motorbikes, atv, a fold down bed and stuff for short camping trips ("motorhome" conversion is not required where I register),  Caterpillar 3406C mechanical engine, adjusted to apply approximately 650 horsepowers to the road under the rear mocassins.  18speed, locking diffs. Analog everything except for the tunes and GPS. Seattle interior. Bose seat. Hardwood floor. 4 round air horns, bullet clearance lamps, cb aerials laid forward at 45 degrees. No coolio drop visor you can't see out of. Heated mirrors. Maybe even polish the aluminum and stainless steel. No tupperware. Quiet exhaust. Engine and nut behind the wheel settings to keep exhaust opacity to an absolute minimum. 

And when I got too old and uncoordinated and / or lazy to shift manual trans (as if there would be much shifting to do see engine request above) I would convert to an Allison trans. 

It would look kinda like this but this is a W900 A model 

Ken Sweet Kenworth W900A  & RV trailer

Howdy noteven,

Your a man after my own heart for sure, however I doubt the Allison would last long coupled with the 650 horse power Cat, if you get tired of shifting install the 18 speed Road Ranger Eaton Auto-Shift with clutch as is in my "motor home", then you would have the best of both worlds, eh. 

The KW in the video is a sweetheart but I think it would look a lot nicer with the long Hood, and tandems, just my opinion.  Singling such a truck to me, really ruins the look and lets be honest when using such a truck as an RV hauler, "the look" is the big draw.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could go with that, but zero shiny bits, other than wheels, and NO chicken lights.  Even grill surround and bumper would be body color.  Big muffler exiting under bed. Oh, agreed on the visor, just a small body colored one, not a stainless billboard.  

That said, the score is about even between a V-730, T-680, and Pete 579.  More research to follow, so I can hopefully pull the trigger when we get back from our winter trip.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'd keep the 730, D13 485 I shift with the Premium shifter I had them install 'cus I couldn't depress the little button with the side of my thumb with the pin in it.

229 wb may have to be stretched,  singled mid like this one, scrap the hanging locker and it's mate on the other side, lose the bunks and go with a crew cab with 4 doors.  I'd go with the 630 but it ihas a shorter and narrower cab than the 700's. 

Fridge somewhere.

Still go with a Herrin bed.

Storage in the Fairings area.

Heavier front axle, locker rear end, Jotto drop down chains, 8 0r 10kw onan between the frame rails or under the passengers seating area or on a slide pulling out the back from between the frame rails under the hitch.

I'd get a different hitch from the Trailersaver.  LED lights.

This for starters.

I am sort of starting over. When I retire this truck is coming with me. It will the same age as my HDT is now but I will have been the only one to drive it.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/wVL59M8l.jpg[/IMG]

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

try again. This was taken the day it got to the dealership. 2021 T880.

[url=https://postimg.cc/jCy5tBLH][img]https://i.postimg.cc/jCy5tBLH/106492952-10156910253311017-1881375443268477111-n.jpg[/img][/url]

wVL59M8l.jpg

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

Pasting the link will make a clickable link, pasting it into the "other media" media button will give a viewable pic. Either way, the extra "IMG" needs to be stripped off.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:36 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

or change it to the Mid roof Mack (same drivetrain just red instead of green).

I never really gave this any serious thought until today, we were driving past my local Mack dealer, and they had an ugly blue sleeper on the lot. 

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/190403401/2017-mack-pinnacle-cxu613?dlr=1&pcid=2000671298&crmid=361739&if=1

Bride looked it up, 2017, 60" sleeper, 440k miles, 11 liter motor set at 405 ponies, M-drive (same as I-Shift) and only $38k. New Michelins all around too.  We talked about it, I texted a friend who's a mechanic at that shop and got the low-down on it.  On the back through this afternoon, we stopped and kicked the tires and went for a ride in it. 

It's not a Volvo.  Crank window on driver's side, clumsy door latches, no leg room for navigator, no air ride seat for same, no fridge no room for one, huge gap between steps, paint falling off roof,  the nit-picking list goes on........

So, for about $45k, you could fix most of the flaws, and have a great truck, for a single person, or a couple who doesn't travel far in a day.  Not us.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I never really gave this any serious thought until today, we were driving past my local Mack dealer, and they had an ugly blue sleeper on the lot. 

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/190403401/2017-mack-pinnacle-cxu613?dlr=1&pcid=2000671298&crmid=361739&if=1

Bride looked it up, 2017, 60" sleeper, 440k miles, 11 liter motor set at 405 ponies, M-drive (same as I-Shift) and only $38k. New Michelins all around too.  We talked about it, I texted a friend who's a mechanic at that shop and got the low-down on it.  On the back through this afternoon, we stopped and kicked the tires and went for a ride in it. 

It's not a Volvo.  Crank window on driver's side, clumsy door latches, no leg room for navigator, no air ride seat for same, no fridge no room for one, huge gap between steps, paint falling off roof,  the nit-picking list goes on........

So, for about $45k, you could fix most of the flaws, and have a great truck, for a single person, or a couple who doesn't travel far in a day.  Not us.

The 11 liter is anemic at best. I know. I have one.

It works for me and I paid a little more than half of what they are asking for that one with less miles.

You can get a cheaper out Volvo too, it all depends on the spec when it was built.

22 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

wVL59M8l.jpg

Pasting the link will make a clickable link, pasting it into the "other media" media button will give a viewable pic. Either way, the extra "IMG" needs to be stripped off.

Thanks. Ive posted a bunch in the past. Must be operator error.

10 hours ago, spindrift said:

Good gawd man, you had me skeered for a minute.

Well Tom, I just sold my other Mack, with the E-7 motor and 10 spd, 2000 model with 830k miles.  Great truck for hauling grain, coming out of the field with a legal+ load.  But utilitarian.  Not wife friendly, nor long trip friendly.  At 355 hp, it was fine for what I was doing.

The new 11 liter Mack engine is supposed to be a sleeved down version of the 13 L, and lower hp.  With a computer flash, it can be bumped to 425.  Costs between $500-$1,000, maybe free if your dealer likes you.  Oh, and full torque down to 900 rpm, just like the Volvo Eco-Torque.

On an average, a Volvo 730 of that age and mileage will run about $58k to $64k.  That's a lot of diesel and campground fees.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

17 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Well Tom, I just sold my other Mack, with the E-7 motor and 10 spd, 2000 model with 830k miles.  Great truck for hauling grain, coming out of the field with a legal+ load.  But utilitarian.  Not wife friendly, nor long trip friendly.  At 355 hp, it was fine for what I was doing.

The new 11 liter Mack engine is supposed to be a sleeved down version of the 13 L, and lower hp.  With a computer flash, it can be bumped to 425.  Costs between $500-$1,000, maybe free if your dealer likes you.  Oh, and full torque down to 900 rpm, just like the Volvo Eco-Torque.

On an average, a Volvo 730 of that age and mileage will run about $58k to $64k.  That's a lot of diesel and campground fees.

And at our age, I'm perfectly willing to pay more for extra comfort and a happy wife.  😉

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

1 hour ago, spindrift said:

And at our age, I'm perfectly willing to pay more for extra comfort and a happy wife.  😉

Agreed.  But, we've spent our whole lives scrimping and saving to get where we are.  It's hard to break old habits.

Susan says she'd be fine with the much reduced leg room of the Mack, but I hate to pull the trigger and have her not want to travel because I didn't aim higher.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

16 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Agreed.  But, we've spent our whole lives scrimping and saving to get where we are.  It's hard to break old habits.

Susan says she'd be fine with the much reduced leg room of the Mack, but I hate to pull the trigger and have her not want to travel because I didn't aim higher.

I hear 'ya loud and clear.  The first day of reduced leg room can be managed...to a degree.  The second, third and fourth days; not so easy.

Aim high, my friend.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I keep gravitating back to these.  Dealer works with my local Mack dealer, so I get parts and service close to home.  Lexington, KY is only about 90 miles from me, where Fargo is, uhhhh, further.  Like well over 900 miles.  And it might be colder too.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

12 hours ago, rickeieio said:

But you won’t be fine if Susan has to drive and you have to sit there.  

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

8 hours ago, Nigel said:

But you won’t be fine if Susan has to drive and you have to sit there.  

True, but she says she won't drive.  For the past 10 years, she's stuck to that statement, even though she has a cdl and drives a school bus.  She's a hard headed little hillbilly...........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 12/31/2020 at 7:13 AM, rickeieio said:

True, but she says she won't drive.  For the past 10 years, she's stuck to that statement, even though she has a cdl and drives a school bus.  She's a hard headed little hillbilly...........

My wife if from southeastern Kentucky. I know exactly what you are taking about. After 3 years I finally go her to pull a head and backup a few feet while I move blocks. She drives tractors with 1300 bushel grain cart and never spill a drop. She will pull the camper with a pickup but not that truck. (insert girl voice here) Because it not automatic.

3 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

133682604_3644444058975432_1298903146919

Howdy All,

This must be an Australian truck, note the huge fuel tank and the stone-debris guard near the bottom of the windshield.  This was common on all the Road Train tractors I saw whilst down under.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I'm kinda undecided about the grille. Almost reminiscent of a '38 Ford pickup, but definitely not K100. I'd add a 'Roo bar, for sure. I think an old school COE is cooler, but the updated driveline with a new truck is pretty sweet. New upholstery, no squeaks, mmm.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.