Volvo D13 fuel mileage in your rv config?

Deezl Smoke

Hi all. It's been a while.

I finally have had the chance to run a few short trips in my Peterbilt. 20190830_131948_resized.jpg.13d6c0e3ecc77cfe9e56a9ac2201b19b.jpg

Granted it is way over engined. C-15 @ 550, but the best mpg I have achieved yet is 8.2. That is with no trailer, just as pictured. Singled long, 3.36:1 axle and double over 18 speed. 90% freeway at 60 to 65mph.

It has been the best fun ever. However, the mpg is getting to be a hang up with me. It's not that I can't afford it, I just don't care to "waste" that much fuel when I know I can have close to the same fun at a much better mpg.

So here is a truck I am looking at. Granted it will have emission junk on it that I will have to deal with, but it appears to be well suited for the rv application.

Curious what those of you with the D13 engine, whatever year, are getting in your application. I know most pull a fifth wheel, but still, what is your mpg like? Also any other brand owners, what engine and configuration have you found to get good mpg?

Thank you.

Don.

I'm a work'n on it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Freightliner has the DD15 with the Eaton auto shift 10 speed trans, and I just bobtailed to Elkhart to look at the Luxe as I am thinking of ordering one, anyway the millage I got was under 9 mpg. I did run the posted speed limit plus the 5 mph grace, the complete trip, hand figured every fillup and was 8.2 to 8.9. I am set at 560hp and 1850tkq. 

Not the millage my Cummins M-11 got, but not that little motor eather, so is it worth trading truck for better millage, or keep the truck you have and live with it, and I wouldn't trade that Peterbilt off for a Volvo over fuel millage, buts thats just me.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Particulars in my signature, but I was disappointed to get less than 9 mpg average.  it's a 12 speed, no overdrive/direct drive.  Like most car owners I had no idea of the different configurations an HDT could be ordered in.  I was reading mostly about the rear end ratio without understanding the trans gearing.   

This is about half mountain, half "flat" driving and almost all bobtail so far.

Edited by Sculptor

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I have a Cummins N14 with an Eaton Autoshift 10 speed transmission.  Mine is a 2000 model year so no emissions gear.  Pulling my 20000 lb +/- 5th wheel, I average 8+ miles per gallon with combined terrain (hills & flat).  If I am all highway in the flats, that will go up to 9+ mpg.  Bobtail, I can get into the low double digits mpg on the highway in the flats, but I rarely run bobtail for any significant distances, so I don't see that very often.  When I was towing my previous 5th wheel, which weighed about 16500 lbs, I was 9+ mpg combined terrain and right around 10+ mpg in the flats.  My engine is set at 460 hp and 1550 ft/lb torque.  I recently had an in-frame done on the motor, which I thought might help my mileage a little, but it didn't make any significant difference.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

My Freightliner has the DD15 with the Eaton auto shift 10 speed trans, and I just bobtailed to Elkhart to look at the Luxe as I am thinking of ordering one, anyway the millage I got was under 9 mpg. I did run the posted speed limit plus the 5 mph grace, the complete trip, hand figured every fillup and was 8.2 to 8.9. I am set at 560hp and 1850tkq. 

Not the millage my Cummins M-11 got, but not that little motor eather, so is it worth trading truck for better millage, or keep the truck you have and live with it, and I wouldn't trade that Peterbilt off for a Volvo over fuel millage, buts thats just me.

Roger

I really do like the 379. It is an X trim, so less than 2,000 were made. By the looks of the replies so far, I wont gain enough to make the switch. I watched Gregg's video on youtube several times and the 11 to 13 average sounds so good. But I can's find anywhere that he mentions using imperial gallons vs. US gallons.

Thanks for the reply. Love your rig. Looks very refined and thought out.

I'm a work'n on it.

Deezl, the only way that you will get 11 to 13 mpg in one of these trucks is when you leave Denver and head to the flatlands and use your "Georgia Overdrive". Unless you want to creep around at 55mph and stay on the flats, most of us will get in the 7.5 to 8.7 mpg range with a 15 liter and maybe 8.3 to 9.1 with a 13 liter running 65 mph or so. I tend to run a little faster so most of the time I am in the 7.6 range with an ISX15.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

10 minutes ago, Imurphy907 said:

Our 34' Diesel pusher got 8-8.5 mpg it weight in at 26,000 lbs. Our HDT that is 18,000 and our 45' 5th wheel that is 20,000 gets around at 9 mpg. So we are hella longer, and hella heavier but overall the MPG went up. I cant really complain about that.

Most of those pushers push a lot of air. I was told, at a bus training years ago, that a bus uses 40 hp to push the air at 60. They also said that a Cadillac only used 12 horsepower to maintain 60 on flat going. I have no idea if the instructor was correct or not, but just try to hold a piece of plywood up in a strong breeze, say nothing about getting it up to road speed. I would think you hdt is more aerodynamic, also weight at speed is not that hard to pull until you add gravity.

2 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

Our 34' Diesel pusher got 8-8.5 mpg it weight in at 26,000 lbs. Our HDT that is 18,000 and our 45' 5th wheel that is 20,000 gets around at 9 mpg. So we are hella longer, and hella heavier but overall the MPG went up. I cant really complain about that.

Awesome information. Thank you. I wondered about the fuel use of a flat nose MH.

I'm a work'n on it.

My truck has a C13 and 3.70's same final drive ratio and set at 500/1750       It IS an aero truck with a single rear axle that is pretty light 16K .      Bobtail I see anywhere from 12-8 depending on how fast I drive.     Towing my 48' trailer 25K I get 9-6 depending on how fast I drive.   

The best MPG numbers are at 65 the worst are at 75-80 plus.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Bobtail with just the smart car on the back of our Freightliner Century with a Detroit 14l, Ultrashift 10 speed and 3:55 gears, I saw just under 11 mpg at one fill up and in the 9 & 10's on the other two from South Carolina. With our old trailer at about 23k# we got about 7-9 mpg. Most of the issue with the trailer is the large gap between the truck and trailer. For a few years we closed that gap up and got an extra mpg. You are probably losing some MPG because you do not have an aero truck and your rear end gearing. If you can buy new and spec one out with what would work for your loads you could probably improve mileage into the double digits but you probably would also have a large truck payment too. It is all about compromise.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Good point, Dave. We see less without the smart, than with. I suspect it keeps some of the draft off the front of the trailer.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Bobtail with just the smart car on the back of our Freightliner Century with a Detroit 14l, Ultrashift 10 speed and 3:55 gears, I saw just under 11 mpg at one fill up and in the 9 & 10's on the other two from South Carolina. With our old trailer at about 23k# we got about 7-9 mpg. Most of the issue with the trailer is the large gap between the truck and trailer. For a few years we closed that gap up and got an extra mpg. You are probably losing some MPG because you do not have an aero truck and your rear end gearing. If you can buy new and spec one out with what would work for your loads you could probably improve mileage into the double digits but you probably would also have a large truck payment too. It is all about compromise.

Awesome info. Thank you. Yes, I am basically pushing a brick. I have been looking at the aero volvos, hence this thread. I have found more 6x2 drive configurations lately. I think that would fit my purpose well with a 2.6 axle. I see some people that use the dash mpg meter, are showing 15-16 when bobtailing  longer distances and when already up to highway speed. I'd be a happy camper with 10.

I'm a work'n on it.

Howdy Deezl Smoke,

I also have a C-15, 550hp-1850t, 3.55 axles, 18 speed Auto-Shift.  Truck with deck and Smart Car is around 22,000 pounds, trailer is around 19,000 / 21,000 depending on which or how many toys I have in the box.  I have never gotten worse then 6mpg or more then 7.5mpg average on trips of 2,000 miles, usually more miles I tend to do long trips of 5,000 miles or more, I can't go anywhere without crossing mountain ranges. 

I got about a mile better fuel mileage with the Freightliner I had before I built the Pete, the Freightliner had a 12.7 DD, 10 speed Auto-Shift and 3.55 axle, in a purely practical sense the Freightliner was a better truck for RV use, it was shorter, weighed less, and was singled, but when it comes to climbing mountains while carrying the Smart Car on the deck and towing that big trailer, the SMILE the big Cat puts on my face is priceless and I wouldn't trade it for another mile per gallon. At my age my truck is a big toy and I enjoy playing with it, yeah I know I am going to HELL for causing the planet to burn up and destroy the lives of future children, oh well.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

16 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Deezl Smoke,

I also have a C-15, 550hp-1850t, 3.55 axles, 18 speed Auto-Shift.  Truck with deck and Smart Car is around 22,000 pounds, trailer is around 19,000 / 21,000 depending on which or how many toys I have in the box.  I have never gotten worse then 6mpg or more then 7.5mpg average on trips of 2,000 miles, usually more miles I tend to do long trips of 5,000 miles or more, I can't go anywhere without crossing mountain ranges. 

I got about a mile better fuel mileage with the Freightliner I had before I built the Pete, the Freightliner had a 12.7 DD, 10 speed Auto-Shift and 3.55 axle, in a purely practical sense the Freightliner was a better truck for RV use, it was shorter, weighed less, and was singled, but when it comes to climbing mountains while carrying the Smart Car on the deck and towing that big trailer, the SMILE the big Cat puts on my face is priceless and I wouldn't trade it for another mile per gallon. At my age my truck is a big toy and I enjoy playing with it, yeah I know I am going to HELL for causing the planet to burn up and destroy the lives of future children, oh well.

Dave

OH YA !!! Well said. That "smile" is ever so priceless. Just set cruise and no hill can stand in it's way.

Thank you very much for the reply. I feel better about my mileage already.

I'm a work'n on it.