Myth Busters

rickeieio

Single wheels.    Heck I carry 4 sets of wheel bearings.  Just Incase I ever would need them. Had them for15 years.    Hope I can find them, when needed.

Do not forget putting vegetable oil in the fuel tanks.   Yep, I  have had a lot of comments on that subject also.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Well, except one retired MD from Tennessee. 

Wow, that’s a low blow.  😢 Just because I use an RNAV approach plate and waypoints doesn’t mean It’s unsafe.  😛

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

9 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Wow, that’s a low blow.  😢 Just because I use an RNAV approach plate and waypoints doesn’t mean It’s unsafe.  😛

What's really painful to watch are your two minute turns.😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

25 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

What's really painful to watch are your two minute turns.😁

And the teardrop entries?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

23 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Another myth, is that you can only weigh 12,000# on a steer axle.  While that can be true, it certainly is not always the case.  I let someone else fill in the blanks.

LOL, I have a 13.2K front axle and without the trailer and smart onboard, I usually weigh around 12.8K on that axle. With the trailer I am at 12.2K

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

So, the myth of the 12k steer axle stems from the days when nearly all big trucks wore 10,00-20 tires, with a rim width of 7.5".  The laws were written so that by measuring the rim or tire width, and applying that to a formula, you got your max axle load.  With that old 10.00-20 it was 12k#.  Then bigger tires and wheels, heavier axles, etc came into play.  Look at cement trucks, dump trucks, and class "A" motorhomes.  Many are now at the max single axle weight limit of 19k#.

BTW, it's no coincidence that a 12k steer, and a pair of 34k tandems, (drive plus trailer) add up to 80k.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

5 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

And the teardrop entries?

Teardrops are for lil trucks, how about a back course off a DME arc

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

8 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Teardrops are for lil trucks, how about a back course off a DME arc

Steve,

If we ever meet again, remind me to tell you about a localizer back course at night into Sheppard Air Force Base, Wichita Falls, Texas in a C182.  Winds were 40 knots sustained with gusts to 55 dead off the nose.  Ground speed was 30-35 knots!

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

12 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

It's even more painful to watch him camp in below freezing temps.

Dang, you’re not gonna let me live that down are you?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 12/11/2023 at 4:22 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Rick,

Here’s a myth up for discussion.  “If you don’t have a CDL then you weren’t trained and you’re not safe” in an HDT.  I was told this once while fueling in Oklahoma on the way to the National Rally.

That, if true, would apply to  DP MH's too then. Whoever told you that was proudly displaying their ignorance.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 12/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Ok Rick, I’ll bite.  Why do they not have self canceling turn signals?  BTW the FAA requires nitrogen in commercial aviation tires.  Helps prevent moisture and breakdown of rubber due to oxidation.  DOT May have some obscure line somewhere requiring the same in commercial vehicles thus perpetuating the myth.

The main reason is, N2 is inert with no moisture, will not add to a fire. NASCAR uses N2 for the same reason.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

That, if true, would apply to  DP MH's too then. Whoever told you that was proudly displaying their ignorance.

Agreed.  I would be interested in accident statistics (major and minor) matching those using HDTS as RV toters vs. commercial and miles driven.  I know there are some of our group that have had accidents but I would dare say it is rare.  Is anyone aware of anyone in our group that has been involved in an accident resulting in a fatality?  Don’t have any information on DPs.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

The older I get, the less I care what others think. I wish I were the one to "invent" bottled water. I remember when it first caught on and the heated debates about it. Things like, the filters took all the good stuff out if it. Or, the chlorine and fluoride will give you cancer. I'll keep my well water thanks etc., etc. And I mean some got really heated, even ending friendships because one bought bottled water with their own money but it was against the other's trained line of thinking. One of my best friends today still has that trained thought process of tradition. He gets upset when I buy a new bike or something when I already have several. I love him anyway, I just make new notification sounds for my phone so when he sends a text, it comes in as "bitter curmudgeon" or the like.

It seems anymore that no-one wants to be confident enough in their own thoughts on a topic, that they have to force their thoughts on it until the others comply. It's like the old ford, gm, dodge debate.

Another "myth?" is about pre-filling your oil filters before installation. Some say you have to, others say never as it sends foreign particles into the engine before the filter. Others show how to properly fill the filter by plugging the center (post filtration) hole and filling through the filter inlet holes.

I'm a work'n on it.

9 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Another "myth?" is about pre-filling your oil filters before installation.

I've heard that one all my life, and I grew up in a garage servicing everything farm related, and cars/trucks.  But, I've never done it.  Here's my logic, flawed as it may be......   If it were so important to pre-fill a filter, wouldn't the engine manufacturers make all the filters be mounted vertically?  But, they do not.

Besides, if you look at how oil filters, and oil flow within an engine really work, only about 10% of the oil goes through the filter, the rest being by-passed.  Thus the name of the original oil filters, Purolater.  Pure oil, sooner or later.

Google it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

12 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I've heard that one all my life, and I grew up in a garage servicing everything farm related, and cars/trucks.  But, I've never done it.  Here's my logic, flawed as it may be......   If it were so important to pre-fill a filter, wouldn't the engine manufacturers make all the filters be mounted vertically?  But, they do not.

Besides, if you look at how oil filters, and oil flow within an engine really work, only about 10% of the oil goes through the filter, the rest being by-passed.  Thus the name of the original oil filters, Purolater.  Pure oil, sooner or later.

Google it.

I agree that oil filters need not be filled, the idea that only a percentage of oil goes thru the filter in a modern engine, not so much.

Now fuel filters for diesel engines I do fill from the outside, try to keep the air intrusion to a minimum.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Google it.

I'm neutral on the filter filling. I do it on the convenient vertical oriented ones so long as I can do it in the shop and not have to deal with a lot of obstacles trying to get it started on the filter boss.

Do you remember the "cartridge" filters before the encasement? Looked like a toilet paper roll could be used. Or how about the old "lube refiner" on the cab side of the old trucks?

I recall reading or watching,....no, had to be watching as I cain't read for "%&p, some footage about the oils today being formulated specifically for that cold start up second or two. The oil has to be able to bond or film the metal in such a way as to provide the needed lubrication until pressure can feed it.

I'm a work'n on it.

Whether or not you pre-fill or not is entirely dependent upon engine design, specifically the route the oil takes through the engine.

Take the Cummins 6.7L for example.  The oil feed for the turbo comes straight off the oil filter head.  The oil filter is pre-filled during an oil change to ensure the turbo bearings don't go without lubrication when you crank the engine.  Hmmm...I wonder if other Cummins engines have the same design.  Feel free to argue that wear over the life of the engine is minimal.  The designers of these engines are smarter than me so I'll follow their recommendation.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I'll refrain from comment on how smart the engine designers today are.

But the 6.7 cummins is a vertical filter that is easy to replace when full. Another aspect of the "myth" is the part about how to pre-fill the filter. Adept Ape on youtube has a great video explaining the proper way to prefill a filter with engine oil.

The ones I prefill, I do so from a freshly opened oil container. Years ago, we used to buy our farm oils in 55 gallon drums and use a pump to fill a gravity can, then to the engine. Knowing what I think I know now, I would not prefill a filter using a gravity can. But every one will have their own ideas on that. I respect that.

I'm a work'n on it.

Good stuff.  I cut my teeth on old Farmalls and John Deeres.  The Farmalls had had a cartridge filter that could not be pre-filled, and the Deeres had horizontal filters.

Most of my light duty trucks (half tons through one tons) have had horizontal filters too.

I'll see if I can dig up documentation on how much oil goes through the filter v. how much is by-passed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

9 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Good stuff.  I cut my teeth on old Farmalls and John Deeres.  The Farmalls had had a cartridge filter that could not be pre-filled, and the Deeres had horizontal filters.

Most of my light duty trucks (half tons through one tons) have had horizontal filters too.

I'll see if I can dig up documentation on how much oil goes through the filter v. how much is by-passed.

Remember from your high school “scientific method “, one fact, when proven, can rule a hypothesis (myth) false.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

There are many diesel engines with vertical filters.  And there are very few gas engines with turbos.

How long does it take to pre-fill a filter?  Again, I'll follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Well, I spent some time searching for definitive answers about oil flow through filters, and found lots of opinions, and few solid facts.  I appears that some engines/filters are designed as "full flow" meaning that all the oil coming from the pump goes to the filter, unless the filter by-passes for some reason.  Other engines shunt a portion to the filter, the rest going on to lubricate and/or cool something.

Just from personal experience, I've owned perhaps 20 diesels, nearly all had horizontal filters.  The 3 Cummins being the exception.  I've also owned 4 gasoline fueled, turbocharged engines of two very different designs.  All had horizontal filters.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN