Bed Build Planning

rickeieio

First, I dug around and found I had JW's email addy, so dropped him a note.  Hope it still works.

Second, I went to the shop this morning and spent an hour or more just cleaning up.  Sweeping the floor (grinding makes a mess), sweeping the top surfaces of the bed, putting tools away, winding up cords and air lines, etc.  Then I aired up the truck to see how the wheels aligned with the cut-outs in the vertical sides.  Oh crap.  One opening is off a good bit.  Not pointing fingers, but it seems the pattern maker didn't compensate for the truck being aired down, and the metal cutter/welder didn't check either.  Adjustments needed........  Worst part is, we noticed a discrepancy in the patterns left/right, and figured it was because the passenger side tool box is 6" longer.  Not so.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

First, I dug around and found I had JW's email addy, so dropped him a note.  Hope it still works.

Second, I went to the shop this morning and spent an hour or more just cleaning up.  Sweeping the floor (grinding makes a mess), sweeping the top surfaces of the bed, putting tools away, winding up cords and air lines, etc.  Then I aired up the truck to see how the wheels aligned with the cut-outs in the vertical sides.  Oh crap.  One opening is off a good bit.  Not pointing fingers, but it seems the pattern maker didn't compensate for the truck being aired down, and the metal cutter/welder didn't check either.  Adjustments needed........  Worst part is, we noticed a discrepancy in the patterns left/right, and figured it was because the passenger side tool box is 6" longer.  Not so.

Dang , that’s funny.  Get out the plate stretcher.  (Old pattern maker joke, “get out the board stretcher”)

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Over this past week, we got all the top surfaces finished and bolted down, braces welded in for the side skirts, and lots of details designed and installed.  The wheel openings are now correct to the point that the flaws are reasonably difficult to find.  Some things just aren't worth chasing.

Little things like a cover panel to enclose from the ET rearward will be fitted after the bed is painted.  Same with the hard shell hitch cover, ladder, etc.

Much time was lost this week due to my having an elderly mom, who likes for me to watch out for her interests.  So, I spent one day with her and a sister, going to have some trust documents amended, plus running some other errands for her.  But, I did get in 90 miles on the ol' Moto Guzzi running said errands.  90 Miles?  Yeah, I got lost..... Front tire almost didn't make it.

fh1jEWql.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll call the paint shop to see if I can deliver all the pieces this week.  I sure hope so, cuz we pull out next Monday for two weeks babysitting the old folks in Florida.  Dragging a trailer so we can bring back all the stuff they'll clean out of their place in Winter Haven.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Over this past week, we got all the top surfaces finished and bolted down, braces welded in for the side skirts, and lots of details designed and installed.  The wheel openings are now correct to the point that the flaws are reasonably difficult to find.  Some things just aren't worth chasing.

Little things like a cover panel to enclose from the ET rearward will be fitted after the bed is painted.  Same with the hard shell hitch cover, ladder, etc.

Much time was lost this week due to my having an elderly mom, who likes for me to watch out for her interests.  So, I spent one day with her and a sister, going to have some trust documents amended, plus running some other errands for her.  But, I did get in 90 miles on the ol' Moto Guzzi running said errands.  90 Miles?  Yeah, I got lost..... Front tire almost didn't make it.

fh1jEWql.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll call the paint shop to see if I can deliver all the pieces this week.  I sure hope so, cuz we pull out next Monday for two weeks babysitting the old folks in Florida.  Dragging a trailer so we can bring back all the stuff they'll clean out of their place in Winter Haven.

Time to go to the dark side. I have been running double dark for many thousands of miles and single dark for many years. 

Have a good trip to Florida. If you are passing close to Tallahassee I have a RV park that will accommodate our big rigs and if it's on a day when the FSU Women are playing I'd recommend attending a game at the Tucker Center. There team this year is going places I think. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

4 hours ago, lappir said:

Time to go to the dark side. I have been running double dark for many thousands of miles and single dark for many years. 

Have a good trip to Florida. If you are passing close to Tallahassee I have a RV park that will accommodate our big rigs and if it's on a day when the FSU Women are playing I'd recommend attending a game at the Tucker Center. There team this year is going places I think. 

Rod 

Which is the RV park you're referring to? We stay in Tallahassee regularly to visit family. Did we stay at your place? Jay

5 hours ago, lappir said:

Time to go to the dark side.

Well, since we already have the KW, I'm gonna guess by "dark side", you mean run car tires on the bike.  I'll leave that to Susan's Spyder.  They work just fine there.

We'l be running down I-75 from Cincinnati to just south of Ocala, then on down to Winter Haven.  Just taking the pick-up and an enclosed trailer this trip.  Obviously can't take the caper rig, as the bed's not done.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

11 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Which is the RV park you're referring to? We stay in Tallahassee regularly to visit family. Did we stay at your place? Jay

It's the Tallahassee RV Park on Mahan https://tallahasseervpark.com/ It's very close to I 10 and the Car Museum. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Well, since we already have the KW, I'm gonna guess by "dark side", you mean run car tires on the bike.  I'll leave that to Susan's Spyder.  They work just fine there.

We'l be running down I-75 from Cincinnati to just south of Ocala, then on down to Winter Haven.  Just taking the pick-up and an enclosed trailer this trip.  Obviously can't take the caper rig, as the bed's not done.

Yes I started with a car tire on my GL1500, then my FJR 1300 and now on my RT 1200. I will never run a motorcycle tire except for when I first purchase a bike. The Gold Wing still had the car tire on it when I traded it in, but they didn't notice until after I rode the new bike home. Next time I stopped they commented on it. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

10 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

It looks like Susan is doing a jam up job on that bed. Do you help her out every now and then or do you just stop by every day or so to see what progress she has made? 😎😎😎

I bring her cookies.

Paint shop can't get me in until mid December.  It's a commercial shop and they do this type thing as "fill in" work.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I do have paint equipment, and the skills to use it properly.  Painting is easy.  Prep work is the hard part. What I don't have is a paint booth or sand blasting equipment.  I was quoted a price ( by a reputable outfit) of $800 to sand blast and two part epoxy primer everything.  Then I can either let them paint finish coat or bring it home and paint color myself.  But, as I said, no paint booth.  If I knew it was to be warmer and not windy, I'd just use the HVLP gun and paint it outside.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Ok,     This time of year can be difficult on such subjects.

One time I was painting 54 shutters on Victorian home we owned. I had one friend and the wife helping.

Painted Saturday and Sunday till almost dark. Using latex paint. Woke up Monday and the last several shutters froze instead of drying.

That time of the year?

Vern

I used to paint in the shop, covering some things to limit overspray.  It's just not worth it.  Several hours of 50 degrees an light wind is okay, but this time of year in south-east Indiana we don't get that lucky very often.

And then, "A man's got to know his limitations".

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks of no progress because we were herding cats.  Took Mom to Florida so she and step-dad could pack things up and come back to live with my sister.  Rented a uhaul and threw all we could in, then headed north.

But, we managed to do some visit'n while there.  We drove over to New Smyrna and spent three wonderful days with Jeff and Cindy Brett (bandbuds), and Raymond and Janet Church (#1jagsfan).  It had been way to long since we'd seen them.

So, today I got back in the shop, and started removing the bed, loading everything on pallets for transport to the paint shop.  The cat was my pallet inspector:

IMMPJOWl.jpg

A couple of the pices can be installed two ways, but the bolt holes might be off one way.  Better mark them in a way that shows through the paint:

4Dbu7Cel.jpg

Tomorrow I'll call the paint shop to see if I can get in this week.  Plus, return the rented trailer, make app't with dermatologist and audiologist, pickup Christmas ham, etc.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

For both of you who care,  I finally got hold of the HMFWBIC at the paint shop.  He gave me the okay to bring everything over today.  We spent yesterday removing the rest of the bed from the truck:

R8NLWI0l.jpg

Luckily, little brother was there to assist.

IsgWOfnl.jpg

DPKgoHdl.jpg

Ul9cgqsl.jpg

We stood the rear portion of the bed up so I can finish some welds and add the runs for the wiring harness. Here Round Boy (me) makes sure it's stable:

WXaMQ89l.jpg

And the first load on it's way to the paint shop:

fRrvGQMl.jpg

I'll finish the big piece and take it to the painter this week too.  They'll sand blast everything and epoxy prime it, paint the undersides black, then I'll pick it up and install it on the truck.  Then, I'll drive it back to the shop where they'll spray the black non-slip on the top surfaces and apply the "Genuine Kenworth Viper Red" to the side panels and tool box lids.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

Rick while the bed is off have you weighed the truck without bed and then do you plan to weigh it again to see overall weights and effect on front axle?  Both of your readers would be interested.  Looks so very nice.

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

There's a sticker in the door jamb that lists weight as shipped, but doesn't break out front/rear.  I suppose that would be a good starting point, minus the commercial hitch.  I will for sure weigh it when finished.  I hesitate to weigh it now, as there's no rear lights.  But, there's a gravel pit just 1/4 mile from my shop......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick:

Just dropped back in on your build thread. Really nice dude!

Noticed the cabinets behind the drives. Mine are there as well. One side has 2 rollout drawers for tools and fluids, the other a generator on a rollout tray.

Being behind the rears, lots of movement!. More than I would have thought. Tools are scrambled all over the place. I'm having a hell-of-a-time keeping the generator anywhere near its mounting location. Now have it ratchet strapped down. It's doing better.

I built a set of brackets to put mud flaps between the rear tires and the cabinets. Probably not needed but now having run through hours of rain at freeway speeds, it does protect the cabinets from the deluge of water and rock chips.

I did similar side skirts to yours, and used cardboard as well, to make the template. Had it water-jet cut. Didn't get them installed before we hit the road last Sept. Now, back at home base, they're getting primed, installed and headed to the paint shop in Feb. (if the snow will stop for a while...and maybe get above 30 degrees). The hood of our truck is getting fresh paint as well. Badly sand blasted.

Bet you can't wait to wrap this baby up. I sure am on mine.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

5 hours ago, trimster said:

Being behind the rears, lots of movement!. More than I would have thought. Tools are scrambled all over the place. I'm having a hell-of-a-time keeping the generator anywhere near its mounting location. Now have it ratchet strapped down. It's doing better.

Even in boxes in front of the drive tires, at least for me there is plenty of movement. My first two drawer type tool boxes didn't survive. First one was a cheap one, but the second was a Craftsman. It did better and is still usable, but stuff never stayed where I put it. 

I have one of the boxes I looked at for years before purchasing. Can't remember the name this morning, but I put it behind the axle this fall and it has done well for me so far. No issues with water so far either, but no torrential rains yet. It doesn't have drawers and has a sloping lift up lid. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800