Bed Build Planning

rickeieio

On 7/12/2021 at 9:58 PM, rickeieio said:

So David, do ya think it's "stout" enough?

Yep, looks like you used the "moron" theory and made a right nice, very stout sliding extension. For those not familiar with technical terms, in steel we use the "when in doubt, make it stout" a lot and the other axiom that gets used is the "moron theory". When in doubt, add more on. In this case, Rick is NOT a little guy so he needed to add a LOT more on.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So today, my brother in law came over and we got a LOT done.  Removed the steps and rear fairing supports, designed new supports, drilled holes and re-thunk some of my plans.  Things got simpler. I've got a 24' stick of 3"x5"x 1/8" tube I may not even cut into.  

I also discovered that due to a shop floor drain, I'd calculated some pieces wrong, so I'm having to put in some shims to give back what I'd lost to one axle not being fully seated on the stop when the bags were dumped.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

dSt4kLGl.jpg

QO4fblEl.jpg

F6u5euQl.jpg

ulPu6Mfl.jpg

Brother in law has helped a bunch.  He's recently retired and bored.

The channels are where the car tires ride, lower than the bed, and the edge of the truck tires.  So, I made extensions to move the break over 2' away from the bed.  Doubles as a bar.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Dang Rick, you must be doing it right to get a compliment from GeorgiaHybrid.  😂

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Not everyone can be brought into greatness... At least Rick saw the light and got rid of the Volvo

Haha

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The jury's still out on the Volvo v. KW.  Out first choice was a Volvo 730, but we couldn't find what we wanted.  This KW popped up close to home.  We'll see how we feel in a couple years.

Meanwhile, we took some time off from the bed build.  Worked a motorcycle project yesterday, took my mom out for lunch today with 4 of my siblings (her 89th b-day), tomorrow I'm hauling grain and grading dirt roads in a conservation area we help maintain.  Good thing I'm retired.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the shop, sweating like a,, well, you know.

Got a few things done. Ramp extension slides out two feet, getting break-over point away from the truck tire.  Wheel pockets are 2" below final deck height.  Ratchets pivot out of the way so ramp clips into rail.  Now way for them to not be square and parallel.  Wife drove it up.  No real issues, other than I had front wheel chocks off by 2 1/4".

xvrqy3Il.jpg

QEHhQBVl.jpg%5C

CSWskLSl.jpg

Since photos, I've cut reliefs in bottom of pocket for ratches, welded on d-rings, and am drilling holes for security pins.  Then it's on to the rear panel and hanging tool boxes.  After that, fill in the floor with 3/16" plate.  It's looking like I'll have it all painted in two stage epoxy, black flat surfaces and body color on the sides/rear.

Bed will be in seven pieces. No rigid welds joining them, so no need for plastic/wood/rubber isolation to the frame.  Sub assemblies are bolted together for a little "give".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been.......sporadic.  Lots of head sctraching and tinkering while waiting my turn at the fab shop to get the rear fascia and fenders bent.

joqHSynl.jpg

GG1wCr2l.jpg

ifoogr3l.jpg

Meanwhile, we've done a lot of noodling and grinding/filing rough edges, welding supports, etc.

Yesterday, I ordered button head cap screws to hold things together.  Visible pieces will be stainless.

I did take a day off to go to an antique farm machinery show with two brothers-in-law and step-dad.

emPonnCl.jpg

eVKUVsAl.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

As a matter of fact, I do about 2/3 of the cooking here.  Here's tonights offering:

iiOry5nl.jpg

2" t-bone, medium rare, and fried green maters.  Too hot to heat up the house, so we improvise.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

6 hours ago, Danandfreda said:

Looks good. Hit 105 here in Ellis Kansas today. 

Are you in the "City Campground"? How is it? Lived in Hays for a few years and visited Ellis a few times. The "Doll" Museum was quite strange. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Looking real good so far on your build Rick.  I have been watching what you are doing.

One thing I was thinking about was dirt and mud getting on top of your tool box behind the rear tires. I thought of that when I built our bed so the  debris would not run down on a nice paint job. Now would be a good time to put a mud flap from the front of the box up to ride under the top of the bed.

Just thinking Vern

Hi rod, ya were at the city park till Sunday. This is a nice little town, railroad museum was nice the dolls are upstairs and it was different didn’t spend much time there. Went to the Walter Chrysler museum, his borhood home. They added about 10 sites here behind the others. New 50/30/20 amp service water and a big concrete pad has to be 40x12 at least. Have room for the trailer, hdt and smart and still a lot of room. 20 a nite but they have monthly rates too. 

Good point Vern.  The tool box will be supported by a solid sheet in front of it, acting as a mud flap, then 2" angle below.  Tool boxes will be removable.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Had my favorite hole installer with me today.

pCObwWxl.jpg

That angle will be bolted to the tire channels with 8m carriage bolts.  I need to make square holes.  How do I do that, in 3/16" plate?  I need to do about 50 of them.

Once she was done poking holes, she moved on to retrieving the stock lights to be re-installed in the new bed.  Why buy new lights when I have these?

uR5Ney5l.jpg

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

How do I do that, in 3/16" plate?  I need to do about 50 of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wpD_3UJXzSI

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

But I need 8m.  And the pieces that need the square holes are 100" long x 12' wide by 5" thick.  Plus mounting fixtures (1/2" thick) already welded in place.  400# plus.  Not easy to drag to the press, visible above, behind my hole installation person.

I did a search for square metric files and just found regular or thread files. But 5/16" is awfully close......

Here a picture of one upside down.  The holes are along the rail that will be the top.

BeXvN8Xl.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN