Bed Build Planning

rickeieio

Coulda' punched them before you welded the pieces together. Could cut the welds, punch, then reweld. Get a good nights sleep, a healthy breakfast, then wrestle the works over to the press. Use hex bolts. I'm out of ideas here.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If only I'd known where the holes needed to be earlier.....  Such is one downside of not having the ability to use CAD.  I have a vision, and I adapt as I go along.  

Wrestling the pieces to the press is not an option.  The press is against a wall, so I would have to bring the press out in the open, then use the fork lift to move the pieces.  But, the fork lift blew a seal in the mast cylinder yesterday.......

It's looking like using a reciprocating saw to rough out the corners, then a machinists screw jack to push a 5/16" square file through might work.

I don't have the bolts yet.  When I get them, I'll see what the actual shoulder measurement is.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Ya, I was just yanking you chain. There's no easy answer here. An arbor press, hung off the overhead, might be able to generate enough pressure to push through.. A screw jack might, too.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Rick, order up a metric square broach in the size you need and set up a small press to push it thru the material. You can do it with an arbor press but it has to be a BIG one. Mine would make it but I'm not that close... You could also make up hydraulic one from bits and pieces around your shop.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Do the fasteners HAVE to be carriage bolts?     There are dome covers for hex bolts to make them "look like" rivets or carriage bolts.   

https://www.mcmaster.com/bolt-covers/

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Well, I was talking to Dan of "Dan and Freda" fame this morning when the light came on.......  I'm bolting one side of an angle and welding the other.  Just reverse the two, welding the angle to the wheel track and just resting the deck on top, making the bolts only holding the deck in place by holding the plate "down" rather than in a vertical plane, so never seeing any shear forces.  Well, almost never.  So now I can use my fancy little stainless button heads and everything will be fine.

Big thanks to all the suggestions, and especially to Dan, who nudged me off center so I could see the fix.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

So here's what I have. The angle will now be welded to the outside of the wheel channel, and the deck will be bolted down to that.  Fender skirt and vertical plate at the frame rail will supply rigidity.  This deck section will be in three pieces, fender/center/fender, so I can take out just one section for any service needs.  Channels are also bolted to frame rails.  There's 11" of space between the front channel and the exhaust support.  Just perfect for storing a set of home brewed race ramps.

QihngNgl.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Susan always says I come up with a plan, but change it six times before I'm finished.  She ain't wrong.  But I guarantee it won't fall apart, and it will work.  Practical?  Probably not, but I have to try in order to be sure.

It's just no fun building it the way everyone else does......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Those changes are called engineering modifications. A friend of ours would call it alternate plan A, alternate plan B, etc

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

6 hours ago, noteven said:

Make sure you stay within your truck's GVWR GCWR GAWR WR & RR so you don't go into a force ten tank slapper, crash, and burn. 

Signed

Internet warrior RV Weight Police.

just kidding

Well, I do tend to avoid the scales when I'm motoring about on my Moto Guzzi Griso.  The rear axle is overloaded under even moderate acceleration..........

So, today I had a visitor to the shop.  Spindrift, aka Tom Stedulis, stopped in and had lunch with me.  He's a sometimes visitor here, and even though he pulls his rv with a LGT, he does indeed own a real truck:

GaZ7Igbl.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Tallied up the score sheet today.....  So far, we're at $12,590 and counting.  Just a wee bit over initial estimates.  But, in all fairness, that includes ET hitch at almost $4400 inc. shipping, $2,000 for tool boxes,about $4,000 in steel and bending, and lots of welding gas, grinding wheels, saw blades, bolts, air line, 7 wire cable,tie downs, lights, etc.

I don't expect any more significant cost besides paint.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

My cost would be lower if it weren't for the cheap labor, causing more grinding wheels, then more welding, more grinding....

I had one mounting tab I cut off and moved twice, so far (my fault).  Had to grind out about three feet of seam weld because it didn't suit me.  Had a helper that day who said he could weld.  Everybody thinks they can weld, even me.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rolled the plasma cutter thingy out of the corner, pulled off the cover, plugged in the cord and air line, and was just about to make a cut when I heard something..  a soft hiss like air leaking.  Ran my hand around the dryer and hoses, and suddenly it got louder.  Coming from inside the machine, of course.  Without further dialog, here's what I found and the solution:

WRIV1odl.jpg

vJmjWMHl.jpg

pyUt7yrl.jpg

There are still some original lines.  I bent them pretty severely and they didn't crack....yet.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

DOT rated line, I assume? Just remember, a 5 minute job is 1 swear word away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

Please e-mail us here.

Darryl,  The original and the replacement are NOT DOT rated.  The clear vinyl is all I had handy so I could get the job done.  I left the cover off just in case........

Marcel, I believe that will be just the ticket.  Just hope it all holds up to the vibration.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Milk crates are perfect for all those aerosol cans of brake-kleen, electrical contact cleaner, chain lube, Kroil, etc.  Fill any empty space with rags.  12" cast iron dutch oven just fits in one too.

So, how do you overload a 5er rated for 21k?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

That vinyl tubing has been a life saver, more than once, in the oil patch. Respect it's ratings, and it'll serve faithfully in this usage.

Please e-mail us here.

17 hours ago, rpsinc said:

I found this that I am planning on fabbing a pair of doors for and then install as a DROM.  Sure appears that it will store plenty of tools and equipment.  I am hoping to be able to bring my fab tools and an inverter welder.Image 41 - Steelman 16 Drawer 7ft Work Bench Tool Box Storage Cabinet

Looks great , where did you find? I think I have enough room behind my box to mount one. Could you share info and measurements? 

Thanks, 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.