Bed Build Planning

rickeieio

No pressure rating on the tube.  But so far it's holding.  I'll leave the cover off for a while, and if it continues to hold, the rest will get changed out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, lappir said:

Looks great , where did you find? I think I have enough room behind my box to mount one. Could you share info and measurements? 

Thanks, 

Rod

It shows the name of Steelman but I found nothing about that company, as I wanted to know the specific material details so that I would know if it was sturdy enough.  I was concerned about it being 22-24GA, like many out there but this company made it out of 16GA and framed in 1" tube.  So, I am taking a chance with it.  I am expecting to need to put a diagonal brace on each side to limit the vibration effects.  

Here is the link to what I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203527397350  They dont have another like this one but have others similar by the same vendor.

I also found another company making a similar product: https://www.tmgindustrial.com/collections/storage/products/88-multi-drawer-tool-storage-chest-for-workshops-and-garages.  Wouldnt surprise me that this company made the other with a different name on it.

I was contemplating using a Knaack Model 119 and putting some cheap tool boxes in it, but after all the work of doing the mods, this Steelman looks like it should work better and the price is reasonable for me.

Marcel

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

No pressure rating on the tube.  But so far it's holding.  I'll leave the cover off for a while, and if it continues to hold, the rest will get changed out.

Without printed ratings on the tube, we generically used 60 psi, as max, on that size. Here's a webpage, if you want to do some math. This was assuming using ferrule type connection, with the sleeves inside the tube. The "Push to connect" fittings will lower that, and the brass fitting I can't tell. Send it!

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Got more done.  Thank heavens it's cooled down some.  I have most of the welding finished on the rear fairing, other than the recessed license plate surround.  Not to lay out the lights and make holes.

LieeI3Ol.jpg

I was a bit surprised at how much that 3x5 tube bowed from welding.  I haven't measured it, but it's noticeable to me.

As for milk crates, the top one is obvious, the one under is a cast iron dutch oven, spare 50' hose, and some other stuff.

TFbAp15l.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

For some areas and purposes, a continuous weld is not necessary or preferred.  They may crack and then it will run the entire length of the weld.  Stitch those welds and if you want to seal the joint between the 2 metals, use some seam sealer before paint or bedliner.  It will help with any rust coming from the joint area and save some welding time as well as heat distortion from the welding process.  Of course, some areas NEED to be seal welded for satisfactory strength.

Marcel

My lack of expertise in welding is shining through.  I was trying to run long welds, and do no grinding.  It's come to bite me.  That said, I checked the distortion of that box tube this morning, and over 100" length, it's only perhaps 1/8" or a bit more.  Sure looks like more to me.

Got my vertical stiffeners on and holes for lights cut.  Also made a recessed license frame and tacked it in.  

No progress will be made this coming week.  A gathering of old motorcycle friends in Marietta, OH  beckons.  The "old" applies to both the bikes and the riders.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

14 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

My lack of expertise in welding is shining through.

The sharing of experience is one of the biggest reasons I come here.  I can share the things I am comfortable with and gain from the things others are comfortable with.

My new to me 730 needs some mods done to the bed and I am not sure what to include and how to accomplish it.  I have a fully equipped shop but the ideas are being gathered.  So thank you for sharing your project.  I see some of what you are doing as being something that will fit into my project.

Marcel

19 hours ago, rpsinc said:

The sharing of experience is one of the biggest reasons I come here.  I can share the things I am comfortable with and gain from the things others are comfortable with.

My new to me 730 needs some mods done to the bed and I am not sure what to include and how to accomplish it.  I have a fully equipped shop but the ideas are being gathered.  So thank you for sharing your project.  I see some of what you are doing as being something that will fit into my project.

If you are looking for ideas come to an HDT rally.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Welllll, our m/c trip is on hold.  Susan caught a bug.   Covid test was negative, but we're sitting tight until we're sure.

So, today I went to the shop for a while and made some progress.  Found some washers that nestled together to make it easy to use as a guide for the taillight holes.

tiD2M2fl.jpg

And here's the result........

h1ZTOaRl.jpg

Only thing left on this piece is to tap the license plate holes.  I don't own a metric tap set....yet.  Since the truck is metric, all fasteners will be likewise.  Most in stainless button head.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Looking real good Rick. They make plastic inserts for the license plate screws. I don't think the plastic cares if the screws are metric. 🤑

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

On 9/8/2021 at 7:29 AM, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Looking real good Rick. They make plastic inserts for the license plate screws. I don't think the plastic cares if the screws are metric. 🤑

But the inserts require square holes, and were I a betting man, I'd bet that none of Rick's square drill bits are sharp.  😉

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

What a bunch of comedians......

As it turns out, I didn't leave enough material for the holes to hold the lights.  I knew I was making the holes a bit oversize, but the kerf was wider than expected.  Not a disaster, just tack washers on the back side.

I have a nice assortment of metric stainless from when I sold kits for motorcycles, all allen head, many button head.  

Susan got word this morning that she tested positive.  She's felling mostly okay, well enough to pressure wash the back deck and railing today.  

Phil D, would you be so kind as to email me?  Addy is in my signature.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick, you have the eyes and a nose on each side. Are you going to add a long, horizontal directional turn signal below those three to make a mean face on each side when you are turning?
Edit: I could also draw a Micky Mouse face on there to make you look happy. 😃

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

31 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Rick, you have the eyes and a nose on each side. Are you going to add a long, horizontal directional turn signal below those three to make a mean face on each side when you are turning?
Edit: I could also draw a Micky Mouse face on there to make you look happy. 😃

I never noticed the MM likeness until I saw it in a picture.  Yes, it does have a certain resemblance.

Local welding shop is going to brake the pass-through box for me.  If I can drag my retired butt out in the morning, I might have it back by afternoon.  Cut all decking today, need the "fenders" over the front tandem broke on the edge.  Hang the boxes ans she's done......except for making vertical side plates, tie points for the wiring harness, building the actual harness, running air lines, wiring Jackalopee.  Oh, then there's paint.  Paint shop says they're three weeks out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Phil D, would you be so kind as to email me?  Addy is in my signature.

Done, my friend.  Check yer inbox.

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Sorry to hear about Susan. She needs to just take it easy and rest for awhile. 

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Thanks Brad.  She's resting.....NOT.  She just turned on the water to the pressure washer so she can finish the rear deck and railing.  Deck is 60' x 12' and over 100' of hand rail with wood spindles.  She's trying to finish that this morning so she can mow at the shop this afternoon.  Only 4 1/2 acres there.

So, last night I realized I didn't make provisions for my trailer plug and glad hands on the rear of the bed.  I'd really like to recess those.  More details.  At least I thought of it before painting.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Not a lot of progress this past week, what with my #1 helper being sick and everyone else keeping a safe distance.  I did get the pass-through built between the rear tool boxes.  It will give me 99" side/side, 12" vertical. and 22" fore/aft, plus the remainder of each side box.  More than ample for the ramps.

Apparently, the price of steel has jumped in the past few weeks.  That 12 ga pass through tube was $470.  I supplied the end frames and asked that the sheet be bent to fit inside.  They made it to butt up to the frame, so then I had to shorten the box 2".  Lots of head scratching to get all the pieces to line up to tack weld.

H4wQZgPl.jpg

ztjlo3bl.jpg

I picked up my male/female plugs for the Jackalopee today, so I can get that made up, and got more tail lights and pig tails so there's a harness to build.  Gladhands are, well, in hand, so air lines can be finished.  Then there's the side skirts.  I'm dreading that, cuz I'm a better grinder than welder.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

My #1 helper is back in good form.  Yesterday her assignment was to wire the Jackalopee.

jlBhkS3l.jpg

Then she did the truck side plug.  Applied some anti-corrosion stuff.

HzRIFnBl.jpg

There was an air hose holder on the rear of the cab.  I removed it and used those holes to mount the Jackalopee.  And adapter plate and spacers took way too long to make.  Faucet washers make good spacer/isolators.

25gSUGXl.jpg

And of course the cat had to inspect progress:

bD7ti1cl.jpg

Air lines are run, glad hands fitted, trailer plug mounted today.  Front tool boxes tomorrow, then hang all the stuff on the rear.  Oh yeah.. Side skirts.  Not sure how far I'll take that.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

It's been two weeks since I've updated.  I've gotten a bit done.

I made a cage for a toolbox, and a mount for the fairing.  Some people think I'm nuts to save old muffler clamps, but sometimes.....

NmfXifyl.jpg

yAWdsdql.jpg

I left 3/16" all the way around the box for some cushion material.  Likely strips of rubber belting.

I made the leap and welded the rear panel to the support sub-frame.  Just simple plate/angle until I have the boxes/pass-through in place and see how much room I have for bracing.

yFiIe6tl.jpg

Unbolted the pass through from the boxes and put it all back together under the rear frame.

2gLIm95l.jpg

The cat has developed the annoying habit of bringing in viable creatures from outside, and turning them loose in the shop.  We don't know her kill ratio, but I've seen too many escape.  There's one under those pallets......

4Sm1RG9l.jpg

Tomorrow, either we'll mount the boxes, or go for a motorcycle ride.  I haven't put 2,000 miles on the Guzzi this year, because of this project and other people asking for help.  It seems when you retire, everyone thinks you suddenly have time to fix their stuff.  In the past 4 days, I haven't been able to get one full day's work in, what with charity work and visitors.  But today, one of those visitors was my 89 y/o mom. Always make time for Mom.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Thanks for posting. Did you realize there were no new posts on the HDT site for over 24 hours again? Doesn't happen very often. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.