Bed Build Planning

rickeieio

Thanks for the tips.  The rear boxes are for the ramps and wood blocks. Ramps will be captured in tracks so not much chance of movement.  No idea what else yet.  Passenger side front box is for tools.  No plans for any drawers, just shelves and dividers/supports.  Driver side front undecided.

Reasoning behind tool placement is that in the event of roadside repairs, I want to be away from traffic while rooting around for that odd bit.

Just before I sent everything to the paint shop, I added some tabs and brackets to hang oversize mud flaps in front of the rear boxes.  They'll go from underside of fender to below the boxes, so no grime and grit on top of boxes.  I have provisions for two full width flaps, one just behind tires, the other just forward of the bumper.  I'm looking for material like you see on the wheel openings of UPS trucks for the rear most flap.

Bed has been at the paint shop for over a week now.  I'll call today and see if I might get it all back this week.  It will be primered only, so I can seal all seams and hang it all on the truck, then take it all back to the shop for color.

Edit:  I just called the paint shop and they have lots of folks out sick.  I was really hoping to have the bed back this week......

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, lappir said:

I have one of the boxes I looked at for years before purchasing. Can't remember the name this morning, but I put it behind the axle this fall and it has done well for me so far. No issues with water so far either, but no torrential rains yet. It doesn't have drawers and has a sloping lift up lid. 

From years of service truck experience, the sliding drawer tool boxes need to be mounted as close to the driver as practical. This makes him feel the same bumps as the tool box. Alternate locations, a Montezuma box is probably the toughest box out there, and holds an incredible amount of tools in a small footprint.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

9 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Montezuma box is probably the toughest box out there, and holds an incredible amount of tools in a small footprint.

That's the name I couldn't come up with this morning. Have had it for a few years now and it's holding up very well. Should have went with the bigger one though. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Two tubes of seam sealer, one package of body filler, two quarts of red paint, associated hardeners and such = $464.00

Yes, it's coming together.

Oh yeah, propane fill at the shop....$560.00.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Progress:

DnwOsFql.jpg

InvlsIAl.jpg

0fzNXo7l.jpg

Vertical surfaces will be red.

One possible snag....I ordered a bunch of Weatherpack connector components, and 5 of the 8 packages came.  The others are on back order.  Yes, every light will get it's own cute little waterproof plug.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

yLj3YEgl.jpgI did the same with all my lights. Glad I did. 3 plugs, 4 bolts and the rear bumper is off. Had to replace a brake/turn signal light, 3 mounting screws & pull the plug. Took longer to build...paid off already. 

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Thanks David.  One issue we have is that the paint shop seems to have overheard you use the term "more-on", and put the black everywhere.  All outside surfaces were to be primer, so I could then paint the red sides and rough textured black top.  Now I have about 1/16" black epoxy to deal with.  Some parts won't align properly without removing it.  For instance, I bought a box of metric carriage bolts just long enough to get a full nut of thread.  Now, I get only one thread, which of course strips out when I try to snug it.  Get longer bolts........  And of course the red won't be the same color with a black base.

Little brother, who helped us with the rigging/setting of the main piece, is pushing me to just leave the black and call it done. But, I've been building this bed in my head for years, besides the past 8 months in the shop. I'm too hard headed to give up.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Looking really good.  Funny how sometimes what we ask people to do (i.e. paint) gets translated into something entirely different than our intention.  But I’m sure you’ll get it right.  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

35 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

But I’m sure you’ll get it right.  

Thanks Carl.  But what is "right"?  Fortunately, "right" means different things to different folks.  It would be a boring world if we all did the same things.

I have a mental picture of the finished product.  It has to please no one but me, and my very tolerant bride. Well, and the next owner.  Hopefully that's quite a few years down the road.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

80grit DA on the parts you want red, then you can probably get away with a thin gray auto primer, just enough to cover, and then the sealer coat in the correct color for the red. Did this on several epoxy or powder coated parts and pieces over the years.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thanks Jim.  Today's agenda hopefully will get us there.  First though, I need to replace the infra-red propane heater that quit on us yesterday.  I have a spare ready, it's just a matter of having my bride run the fork lift, er, man hoist, so I can access it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

Life is fraught with challenges......

Gas control valve on spare heater is bad.  I finally found one, hope to have it tomorrow.  I left no stones unturned, including looking for alternative heaters/furnaces, etc.  Everyone's sold out.  One 50k/btu heater can't get the shop over about 55*.  That's cold when you're sitting under the truck on concrete.  Corrugated paper board is my friend, as is old bathroom rugs.

So, we got everything put back together on the bed, except hanging the boxes and wiring.  Had to make my own mud flaps, out of horse stall mats.  Wider, taller, and a lot thicker than normal.  Anti-spray brush about two feet behind them, full width.

Tomorrow morning, we take the assembled truck and tool boxes back to the paint shop for the red paint on the sides/rear.  Perhaps I'll have it back Wednesday.

I finally gave up on my normal hardware supplier and ordered the male/female Weather Pack crimp connectors from Waytek.  Had to buy double what I need to meet their minimum, but still saved some money.  Now if they can get here in a reasonable time....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Here's the truck as it went to the paint shop:

VlyQNOgl.jpg

Temporary lights, skim coat of bondo over the grind marks.  Tool boxes were on a pallet in the pick-up.

I ordered my Weather Pack terminals yesterday from another source.  Called my regular supplier to cancel and they said my order shipped this morning.   Looks like I'll have plenty.........  If anyone wants Weather Pack two or three gang connectors, I can bring them to the ECR.  I have both male/female clam shells, gasket rings and LOTS of crimp terminals in the two smaller sizes.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 3 weeks later...

I went past the paint shop Monday morning and our truck is still sitting there, waiting.........   So I called, and they said it was scheduled to get done this week.  We'll see.

Can you say "frustrating"?  Sure you can.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to paint shop again today.  They said they're just wrapping it up, and once the boss inspects it Monday morning, he'll call and have me pick it up.  We'll see how this $1,200 paint job turns out.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Talked to paint shop again today.  They said they're just wrapping it up, and once the boss inspects it Monday morning, he'll call and have me pick it up.  We'll see how this $1,200 paint job turns out.....

Looking forward to photos. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Wellllll,,,,,,, there will be photos, but just teasers.  I've been asked to have the unveiling at the ECR.    Of course, this all assumes I'm happy with the results.  I'm pretty pleased with it so far, and am hopeful the paint shop got it right.

Make no misteak, this is no polished gen-you-whine body builder product.  It's what happens when someone with a vision, a shop, questionable skills, and too much whiskey induced, campfire enhanced, ideas come together.

But I can tell you, it's been fun, and has sharpened my thinking and skill level close to where it was when I was younger.  Retirement can dull those things if you don't test yourself occasionally.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 1/24/2022 at 4:14 PM, rickeieio said:

Here's the truck as it went to the paint shop:

VlyQNOgl.jpg

Temporary lights, skim coat of bondo over the grind marks.  Tool boxes were on a pallet in the pick-up.

I ordered my Weather Pack terminals yesterday from another source.  Called my regular supplier to cancel and they said my order shipped this morning.   Looks like I'll have plenty.........  If anyone wants Weather Pack two or three gang connectors, I can bring them to the ECR.  I have both male/female clam shells, gasket rings and LOTS of crimp terminals in the two smaller sizes.

I could probably use some of the weather pack connectors if you bring them to the ECR. We look forward to seeing the finished bed there.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I'll bring them along.  Waytek has them pretty cheap, but you have to place a bigger order than I would have liked.   But, in the long run, we still saved money, and I can pass along a good deal.

For reference, the openings for the tool boxes will accommodate a 24" box, front and rear.  On the other side, a 30" box fits in front.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Hopefully unlike the latest National Rally, more photos will be posted to the Forum. I'm guilty of not taking any during my time there. I missed the Photo day when I think more about photos than the other days.  Anyone know if their were photos posted to the Facebooker thing?

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800