Bed Build Planning

rickeieio

Got the truck back today.  Paint looks good, better than my body work.  Color is just a touch brighter than the rest of the truck, but dang close.  BUT, I got a new computer and haven't figured out how to download pictures from my phone.  Not to worry, teaser pics will be along shortly.

Oh yeah.  Original quote was to sandblast everything and epoxy prime for $800.  But, they painted everything gloss black over the primer, top, bottom, inside and out, PLUS applied the red I supplied, and wanted to hold to the $800.  I had $1,400 in my pocket and gave it to him.  It's worth it.

Edit: I'm at $15,771 so far, rounding up on everything.  If I needed 8 special bolts and bought a box of 100, I counted the whole box, etc.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35KRpmSl.jpg

qTaYmnzl.jpg

R1IiRcJl.jpg

A couple of side panels are still at the paint shop, they forgot to paint them.  At the moment, there's a rats' nest of wires dangling over the tail, with tools and spools strewn about.  

The end is in sight, but progress this week will be slow.  My mom passed away a couple days ago and being the oldest, I'm riding herd on seven siblings.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Thanks Larry.  Yes, we'll be arriving at Deer Run a few days early.

We've not made much progress in the past two weeks. what with planning a funeral and tending to estate matters.  I never realized what a pain it can be being trustee.

But, this afternoon, Susan and I went to the shop and began hanging the rear boxes.  I discovered some little misteaks that compounded themselves.  When I made the mounts for the boxes, and fitted the boxes to the pass through tunnel, I didn't make the holes big enough, and every hole has a nut welded on the back side.  Normally, I'll make the holes next drill size bigger than the bolt.  We pre=assembled the whole thing before taking it to paint, but the paint and caulking took away all my slack, plus a bit.  We spent three very frustrating hours and didn't succeed in hanging a box.  But tomorrow, well, I have a plan.  We'll see how that works out.

To complicate things, my trusty side kick and Shop Queen has gone back to driving a school bus.  So, she doesn't get to the shop until 10:00a and has to leave at 2:00p, maybe returning around 4:30p.  And extra pair of hands is, umm, handy.

The front boxes should be easy, and I still have to wire the front two sets of marker lights, and fab a couple brackets.  Small stuff.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

The small stuff seems to add up to big stuff some days. Hope yours does not. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Looks like I'll have another chance to improve my body work.  Today, I was putting some clear over the edge where the black and red meet, as there is a "lip" where the red stands proud from the base and primer, and the red was trying to lift off the primer.  I reasoned that a narrow band of clear overlapping both colors would "soften" that edge so the red wouldn't try to lift.

When I pulled the masking tape, (it was on less than 30 minutes), the red came with it.  Not good.  I had to just walk away.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Oh, walking away...talking to the lord. Done that. Ugh. Feel your pain...and frustration. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Stripped all the color off today.  It didn't take long as it came off in sheets.  I now have a 5 gallon bucket half full of red paint sheets.

I visited with the shop that applied it and spoke with the head guy.  He used to be a paint rep and understands what happened.  In short, his guy didn't read the sheet I supplied with the paint, and used his normal primer, which is for epoxy coatings, not automotive paint.  They didn't play nice.

So, he's trying to find a match in the epoxy line they normally use.  It won't give a glossy smooth finish, more orange peel, and I'm okay with that.  My ugly welds and bad body work will be less noticeable.  Hopefully, he'll come up with a match this coming week and get it in quickly.

Right now, the bed is in red primer.  I could put the lights back in and be ready to roll in a couple hours.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 3 weeks later...

Don't tell anybody, but we got the truck back today, wearing it's new coat of red epoxy.  Not a perfect match, but it's good enough, considering whom it's for.

Hopefully, our daughter and s-i-l will wrap up their project on their Arctic Fox so I can get the truck back in the shop and finish the little stuff over the weekend.  Then do a test hitch and tug.

Grand unveiling at the ECR.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Don't tell anybody, but we got the truck back today, wearing it's new coat of red epoxy.  Not a perfect match, but it's good enough, considering whom it's for.

Hopefully, our daughter and s-i-l will wrap up their project on their Arctic Fox so I can get the truck back in the shop and finish the little stuff over the weekend.  Then do a test hitch and tug.

Grand unveiling at the ECR.

Looking forward to it.  And for those attending the ECR, Rick has graciously consented to give a presentation on his bed build including costs, materials, and frustrations.  It should be an excellent overview for those DIY contemplating a similar project.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I could do a half hour on on why cost saving ideas are more expensive.

But, I did everything except braking the sheet steel and paint.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

18 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I could do a half hour on on why cost saving ideas are more expensive.

But, I did everything except braking the sheet steel and paint.

To bad we can't tag team this. Would be fun to see how similar our build/cost decisions are. But, not making the ECR. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Oh my.  That could be interesting.  I won't give away too much, but I will admit there were some things you did that I thought were frivolous, until I did it my way.  The savings to headache ratio was not pretty.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I am so ready to get to the ECR this year and see your rig, Rick!  Not to mention everyone else...

We've missed that crowd.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Took the truck for a ride today.  First time out since the build started, other than multiple trips to the paint shop.

This 13 spd. is just enough different from what I'm used to, it'll be a bit until I get smooth with it.  My first road tractor had an 8 spd. behind a 350 Big Cam.  But I sold that in '07 and bought the Mack with the 10 spd.  Ratios are just enough different that my right arm hasn't adjusted yet.

Still to do: one marker light (broke it taking it out for paint), finalize the ramp bay layout and securing.  I want to make that bay so I can just slide in the ramps and close the door.

Oh yeah.  Gotta go to the license branch tomorrow and shamefully ask for a replacement plate.  While the truck was waiting to go for paint, we had a shop cleaning day.  I took two loads of scrap to the yard.  Several old 55 gallon drums of steel pieces.  Somehow, the plate got tossed in.  Might as well, confess, I thought it was an old plate from the smart.  Duh.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Okay....  new license plate set me back $12 and an hour in the BMV.

I spent several hours today with my daughter, putting the PowerPoint together. 

Also did a final tally on the expenses.  I counted every box of bolts, bags of crimp connectors, spools of welding wire, etc.  If I bought a 100 ct. box, I counted it all, since I used some supplies from my shop.  Same with welding supplies, etc.  I bought another set of drill bits and a tap set too.  Expensed it all to the build.  Final tally, $8,006.00, not counting the hitch.  Steel and fab shop expenses was just over half of the total.  

See ya at the ECR!!!!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN