solar awning on slide out

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I don't see an awning made of solar panels.

enlarge the pic and you will see them on the second rv in the middle row

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I see a motorhome at the top left, a 5th wheel just below it. a cargo trailer parked up/down, with a travel trailer tucked in tight to it. Below the pickups, there's a living quarter stock trailer. None with solar awnings.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I see them over the windows.  If the wires were run with the power wires and LP hoses under the slide it could work. 

With the solar we have I have found cleaning the panels regularly is important.  I have been doing some excavating here and the panels were so dirty it cut the power .  The power doubled when I cleaned them.  Luckily there is room to move around our panels.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

I see them over the windows.

Glen, is that what you were asking about? If so, I don't think that they are awnings, or if they are they hinge up and are down in that shot. 

I can only recall having seen one RV camp with that amount of solar. It was a bus conversion at Imperial Dam LTVA about 10 years ago. That rig had a trailer that carried more solar panels that were set on the ground, in addition to those on both the bus and the box trailer. He also had 2 wind generators, and two different ham radio antennas. The LTVA host took us over to see that camp as one of the attractions there. 🙂

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, I see them on the windows, good idea, could put some adjustable arms on them so they could lock in different positions. At night lower them down, better than blackout curtains.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Got up with him on facebook. The panels plug into the outside wall. cable goes inside, down wall and underneath. Also has extra cable to remove them and set them remote when in shade. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

11 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I see them over the windows.

Ahh. Mental block, I was stuck looking for awnings over the slides. We don`t see many window awnings up here, so I missed that. The side harness would be the best way to get between the slide and the main trailer.. The hardest part would be the path between the panel and the slide end of the harness support. Wouldn`t want to just run down the wall, don`t want to run behind the slide flange and get the pinch/wear points there. Seems like a lot of work for little return.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Glenn, fun and interesting pictures and thread. You always come up with good solar related questions and comments. For those who have very huge energy requirements there's no end to the inventive methods they come up with. I just have limited physical roof or even awning space on my smaller RV so chose an "all except AC" system which serves me well. Hey if it gets too hot I head North or to higher elevation lol. When designing a solar system one needs to account for days when they may be parked under a total shade canopy or it rains days on end grrrrrrrrrrr  

John T  

I don't know why but I was never able to see what Glen posted with pictures. Just got gibberish but I mind pictured it as be something like Tom's.  I had considered something like Tom's but never executed the thought. If I had an RV with slides I would like a practical easy way to do that.

Glenn - take a look at Everlanders on you tube and their website. They built an interesting solar array & lithium power system. 

A solar array awning makes sense. 

Overall vehicle width regulations need to be considered.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

13 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

He using flexible panels. Most if not all have short life span.

3 hours ago, noteven said:

Glenn - take a look at Everlanders on you tube and their website. They built an interesting solar array & lithium power system. 

A solar array awning makes sense. 

Overall vehicle width regulations need to be considered.

i have seen that. interesting.

I was thinking of solar panels as slide out awnings. Have a roller in a track. Fixed hinge at the top, as the slide opens, would push the panel up, as you pull slide in, pulls the panel down. If it was in a fixed track, would keep it from flapping in and out. I was thinking spending the money on this would be better than spending money on normal slide toppers. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4