solar awning on slide out

On 10/11/2020 at 3:05 PM, lockmup68 said:

I was thinking of solar panels as slide out awnings. Have a roller in a track. Fixed hinge at the top, as the slide opens, would push the panel up, as you pull slide in, pulls the panel down. If it was in a fixed track, would keep it from flapping in and out. I was thinking spending the money on this would be better than spending money on normal slide toppers. 

since I'm not an engineer and have no idea what I am doing, this seem feasible? 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

While I see nothing wrong with your idea, you would need to secure it in travel. If not it would bang on side of your Teton. If you forget and run slide out, uh oh. Also would it damage panel resting on slide out flange as it goes in or out? Really like the idea except for that. Now if you secured it with a strong magnet, think it would release without to much stress on panel? With all that area one could put 6k or more solar on there. I can get 4k just on roof top.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

For a side awning that is good. Lockup was asking about using it as a topper. Would need to have a latch that easily detaches in case one forgets and runs slide out. What you think of a couple of strong magnets? I have a 2" magnet holding my camera and metal mount at the hitch. It holds good. Two I think would hold a panel.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, GlennWest said:

For a side awning that is good. Lockup was asking about using it as a topper. Would need to have a latch that easily detaches in case one forgets and runs slide out. What you think of a couple of strong magnets? I have a 2" magnet holding my camera and metal mount at the hitch. It holds good. Two I think would hold a panel.

roller permanently in a track that rolls out/up when slide is extended and pulls itself in when slide is retracted. Would hold it in place when traveling. No flopping around. You could secure it with pins if wanted for extra security. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4