Fifth wheel tires

Danandfreda

I am looking for new tires for a 2011 38 ft mobile suites. The original tires are Goodyear Lt235/85r16 G614.   Will probably stick with the same but was wondering what other people use, I won’t put some no name cheap ones on. I want good tires that I won’t be worried about the whole time and I’m about 1500 lbs from gvwr on the trailer. It’s about 16000 loader and I have weighted it. Any suggestions will be appreciated 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just replaced our tires and Goodyear said they are no longer making the G614s and recommended we replace them with Endurance tires. We found someone that had G614s in stock that were only a few months old so went with those but if you are wanting to do the same don’t wait too long or you may not be able to find them.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

I've got the Endurance tires on my fiver, 2 years now & very happy. But since my tires are the same size as 16" dually pickup tires, this is a disadvantage to me (tandem duals). After maybe 3-4 yrs, my tires were hardly worn, but age, etc. I used to be able to sell them to a dually pickup guy & get some $ back towards new. The Endurance tires are SPECIFICALLY trailer-only.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

I have sold my aged out tires to guys for their car haulers and deck overs.  I have used them also, but dont have any trailers to put them on anymore.  Just sold a set of G614s, guy was glad to see they were in such good shape and way more capacity than we needed, which just made them safer.  He was pretty happy about the price too.  $40@

Marcel

I'll second the recommendation for Sailun Tires.  I have them on my current rig and also had them on my past rig.  Everyone I have ever seen or heard of who used them has been happy with them.  They are cheaper than the competition typically, as well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Called simpletire this morning and they could only tell me the tires would have a manufactured date of not longer than 4 years. They couldn’t guarantee what the date would be so I won’t be going that way but had great prices. Found a place that had the Goodyear’s at 400 each. Will probably get tires at a place I called today in Topeka or Salina Kansas. Their price was 131.99 each and 2019 date. Will get them on the way to the hdt national rally in October. 

We've been using Sailun S637's for several years.  I have a set I just replaced sitting in my garden shed and they almost look brand new but they've made two trips to Sturgis.  They have not timed out ....they were 235/85R-16.  I went back with 235/80R 16.it gave me more space between the tires and doesn't look all cramped up under my toy hauler.  Got this last set last month from Walmart $130. Each.

Also..last week I bought two steers for my Volvo.  About $400 each.  They are slightly out of round.  My tire guy said to drive them about 1500 miles then he will smooth them out.......but they feel smooth to me.  Hope this helps.

I found a local farmer that met me at the tire shop that took my 6 tires for use on his hay wagon.  I did not have to pay for the tire disposal fee.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I've changed tires on the last 3 5ers I have owned.  If I was to do it again, any rig close to 15000# would be upgraded to 17.5" tires and wheels.  My logic in using my G Rated tires on deck over and hauler trailer has been to avoid blowouts and issues from being CLOSE to capacity.  It has worked well and I have almost eliminated tire issues on my trailers(other than 5er), and so going to 17.5" would be in that same line of thinking.  When I am using the 5er, I really dont want to be worrying about tire issues or any other issues for that matter.  Thats is what preventative maintenance is about.  My current 5ers are a 33' Teton not close to weight for G rated tires, so it has newer Hercules G tires on it, and the other is a Newmar Kountry Aire, ~20000# but with dually axles, so LT tires on that one.  Much safer and not needing to go to 17.5".

Marcel

Only plan on keeping it 2-3 years then going to a new horizon. We have switched axles already to get away from the neverlube hubs that were on it. We are not full time yet but as soon as our house sells  we will be less than a year from full time. We are not over weight and mostly short trips while still working. Always check tire pressure before leaving and temps when we stop and usually stop every couple hours. Prob should have done it when we switched axles but to late. Finishing up a rotted vanity slide floor now. Longest trips we make are to the rally’s ( hdt). 

Been checking prices between Goodyear g614 and sailun s637 and a huge price difference. My gut is telling me to go with Goodyear which we haven’t had a problem with the ones we have now and they are 8 or 9 years old, but people say sailun are a great tire and close to half the price. Need some opinions. I don’t have a problem with spending the money on the tires and not worrying but are the sailun that good?