Got turned away at my first RV park because of the HDT

BlueLghtning

Sarah and I have been enjoying some boondocking for the past 20 days in the AZ & CA desert, but we were in desperate need of some laundry and knew we'd be running out of water any minute so we figured hookups would be nice for a night or two so we could fill and empty as we headed back East to find some more BLM land to camp on. We wanted to leave Southern CA and head back towards Gila Bend, AZ and then south to Ajo. I still had to work today so knew we would be leaving later in the day and didn't want to get somewhere in the dark. I found a passport america park just East of Yuma in Tanca, AZ only a little over an hour away and that seemed like a nice place to spend the night. I called and asked about space which they had plenty, got a feel for the size of their lots which they brag about being rather large and everything seemed good.

We showed up Copper Mountain RV park (https://coppermountainrvpark.com/) before 4pm local time and drove to the office. The park was less than 1/4 full and is actually quite out in the middle of nowhere. The spots were actually decent size and it as a nicely laid out park with concrete pads at each site. There was a couple in there before us checking in and as she showed them to the door, she noticed our HDT and asked if it was ours. I said yeah and she said I'm sorry we don't allow semi trucks in here. I plead my case and said this is an HDT registered as an RV and being singled short, I'm not any longer than a long bed dually. She said sorry her husband didn't allow them. I pushed a little more to try to figure out what the deal was and came back that it was in the rules and she said they had had issues with them running over the poles and causing damage. She said people were coming in in these huge trailers and after some damage had been caused, her husband said that was enough and he just wasn't going to allow Semi's and she wasn't going to break his rules. I was thinking thinking well these spaces are huge, I won't have any issues getting backed in and having plenty of room. It was about that time my wife had heard enough and was like let's just get out of here. As we were leaving the lady blurted from the rules where she was trying to find it and said "we don't allow semi trailers" and I was like, I'm not in a semi trailer and it hit me she must be talking about the large space craft type trailers, but apparently she figured the truck was enough.

It definitely caught me off guard as it was the last place I was expecting to have issues although I should have gotten a clue when she made the people in front of us sign a pledge that they would not speed in the parking lot and there was a fine if they were caught! Anyway, I decided to look at their site again tonight to see if I missed the blurb about it. I found it and it does seem it's really on semi trailers where the axles are set back since they can't turn as sharp and that makes sense, but I guess they associate semi trucks with those types of trailers. Maybe she never realized I had a regular 5th wheel toy hauler on my truck? 

Here is their little rule blurb - https://coppermountainrvpark.com/rules/#1445951321074-abaf68b3-3238

All of our spaces are “back-ins”.  There are a limited number of pull-thru spaces that are reserved for nightly and weekly tenants. All tenants must be assisted by management in parking.  DO NOT DRIVE ANYTHING ACROSS OR BEHIND ANY OF THE SPACES OR OVER THE BERMS BEHIND THE SPACES.  If you do, you will be liable for any and all damage to the sewer and water lines.  You will be immediately evicted and your rent will be retained to off-set the damages. You may only drive on the designated roads. Per local zoning ordinance, only one RV may be parked on a space. Also, we do not allow dual-axle, semi-trailers in the park.

Anyway, make sure you skip this place just east of Yuma on I-8 as HDT's aren't welcome. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

1 hour ago, sclord2002 said:

Seems you would have been ok if your semi trailer had 3 axles, according to their rules.

We do have 3 axles on our Keystone Raptor Toy Hauler. I don't even think she got as far as even looking at the trailer. From the angle we were parked she just saw the semi and made her decision from that. 

Its in our do not go there list. And no way would I sign there rule form. AS reading it they could and would fine you. For breathing while there. Plus if the owners insist in making watch them to get into a spot. No thanks, I will do it myself. If I can't back into the spot without there help. I'm sure they can't help me.

Pete

event.png

The same thing happened to us at this very park last year.  We had been in the Big Bend area for about a month, and just like you we needed some hook ups before going to the Ajo, then Wellton BLM.  They not only turned us down because of the "semi" status, they seemed offended we would even try.  I'm kinda' a nice guy, but I did explain to them they were NUTS, and just maybe they should post a sign out on I-8.  BTW,  this year, Big Bend National Park, with all their wisdom, chose one of the busiest times of the year to close Cottonwood campground for renovation, plus for the last few years it has been harder to get a primitive site.  So 2018 is the first year since 1992 we have not spent most of February in, and around that area.  Sad for us as we are lifetime members of the historical association.  Life goes on.          Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

4 hours ago, oletimer said:

The same thing happened to us at this very park last year.  We had been in the Big Bend area for about a month, and just like you we needed some hook ups before going to the Ajo, then Wellton BLM.  They not only turned us down because of the "semi" status, they seemed offended we would even try.  I'm kinda' a nice guy, but I did explain to them they were NUTS, and just maybe they should post a sign out on I-8.  BTW,  this year, Big Bend National Park, with all their wisdom, chose one of the busiest times of the year to close Cottonwood campground for renovation, plus for the last few years it has been harder to get a primitive site.  So 2018 is the first year since 1992 we have not spent most of February in, and around that area.  Sad for us as we are lifetime members of the historical association.  Life goes on.          Dick T

Interesting they have a history of this. I was surprised that I didn't see any review mentioning this either, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. 

We have had the same experience twice before.  Once at Peculiar Kansas RV park when I was still dual axle and again at Savanna Oaks in Georgia after I was singled.  Savanna Oaks said I was too heavy and would damage her concrete pads yet there were motorhomes heavier than us on her pads.  The park in Peculiar said we would tear up their gravel roads turning but allowed a bus conversion with dual axles weighing about 60K go in front of us.  Go figure.  These people are just "intelligence deprived" and should not be in the campground business.  They don't deserve our business anyway.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

9 hours ago, RandyA said:

We have had the same experience twice before.  Once at Peculiar Kansas RV park when I was still dual axle and again at Savanna Oaks in Georgia after I was singled.  Savanna Oaks said I was too heavy and would damage her concrete pads yet there were motorhomes heavier than us on her pads.  The park in Peculiar said we would tear up their gravel roads turning but allowed a bus conversion with dual axles weighing about 60K go in front of us.  Go figure.  These people are just "intelligence deprived" and should not be in the campground business.  They don't deserve our business anyway.

Randy I especially like your terminology "intelligence deprived" I may need to borrow that sometime.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Just read Allstays and RVparkreveiws  for the Copper Mountain RV park.

Allstays says, 40 ft RV Length max and pull thrus. Big rigs not mentioned 

Rvparkreviews list, Big rigs allowed but no pull thrus

Copper Mtn Website says as previously Pull thrus for short stay guest.

Copper Mtn should get with the real world as a Prevost MH can gross out at 55,000 lb and a whole of them pull a 20,000 lb trailer.

Just reasons to always do a campground review ocasionally. For every bad review I try to give a good reveiw. 

Clay with MDT

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

This topic is timely. We are headed to Savannah area next weekend. I called, so many lost count, finding an open site. Between snowbirders and us, construction workers, slim pickings. Taking job there for app a year. I made myself plain as I could. Freightliner with SmarCar on back, towing a 40' Teton fifth wheel. No one kicked on it except smaller parks where it wouldn't fit. Bad news is only open spot found is 55 miles away. Quite a daily commute. Parkwood RV Park and Cottages, Statesboro, Ga. Hoping one closer will come up later.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

23 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

Interesting they have a history of this. I was surprised that I didn't see any review mentioning this either, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. 

RVparkreview.com
Somebody should alert the rest of the world Dan...go for it!!

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Glenn, try Whispering Pines if you have not already contacted them.  That is the park we ended up in when we were turned away at Savanna Oaks.  They have numerous LONG grassy sites that easily handle our rigs.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

They didn't have any openings at Whispering Pines. I called Savannah Oaks and they didn't do monthly sites. Never said anything against the HDT but may have figured he didn't need to.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 2/3/2018 at 10:48 AM, GlennWest said:

This topic is timely. We are headed to Savannah area next weekend. I called, so many lost count, finding an open site. Between snowbirders and us, construction workers, slim pickings. Taking job there for app a year. I made myself plain as I could. Freightliner with SmarCar on back, towing a 40' Teton fifth wheel. No one kicked on it except smaller parks where it wouldn't fit. Bad news is only open spot found is 55 miles away. Quite a daily commute. Parkwood RV Park and Cottages, Statesboro, Ga. Hoping one closer will come up later.

Glenn and I stayed at this park for a year while I worked in the Statesboro by Dalia Savannah area nice quiet Park lot a little restaurants but yes it’s a little drive over to Savannah but the price is right. 

I was just there the week after Christmas and stay the week with them before we went on down to Jacksonville to stay with Mike and Teresa on our way to the Tampa RV show that being said there is plenty of room for your truck and trailerI was just there the week after Christmas and stay the week with them before we went on down to Jacksonville to stay with Mike and Teresa on our way to the Tampa RV show that being said there is plenty of room for your truck and trailer. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Oddly enough we are at the West Penal Co. RV park, West of Casa Grande, and bluethunder (Dan & Sarah) pulls in.  Have never met them, and yet had the same problem at the same campground.  Had a great visit, and have decided, once again, it is a small world.  Wish everyone we met we were as nice as most of the Escapees.  

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

10 hours ago, packnrat said:

no duel axle semi trailers? 

that is most ALL fifth wheel trailers.

commercial is another thing all together. to be commercial that means for hire. aka money exchanges hands.

You wouldn't believe how many people don't know what a "semi trailer" is. I've had people argue that a trailer can't be a "semi trailer" because it is a bumper pull rather than a fifth wheel. 

2014 smart Fortwo

36 minutes ago, Big5er said:

You wouldn't believe how many people don't know what a "semi trailer" is. I've had people argue that a trailer can't be a "semi trailer" because it is a bumper pull rather than a fifth wheel. 

Ask them to explain what a "full" trailer is. I bet they have no idea about that either.....

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Only the farmers know what a full trailer is Tom....Although we all had one as a child, we just called it a little red wagon.

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived