Shiny

lockmup68

I was out working on wiring in the Jacalopee, guy pulls up on a sweet Harley, "Hey man, nice rig. However, those Alcoa's need some lovin'. I've been polishing aluminum rims, tanks, and bikes for 35 years, can I help ya out?" He drops his bike off and comes back in his van, pulls out buffers and a generator and bucket full of supplies. An hour later,

Mr, Ed doing his thing:

IMG_2601_zpst9417b2d.jpg

Before:

IMG_2605_zpscocw6yua.jpg

After:

IMG_2607_zpsnttxkpyy.jpg

Can use as a mirror putting my makeup on now:

IMG_2608_zpsrfdl2o58.jpg

I can't believe the price he quoted me as I've priced polishing out before. I gladly paid him what he asked and then some.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

1 hour ago, HERO Maker said:

See if he's available for a Rally visit!

Rocky,

Thought we had one lined up for ECR two years ago.  Guy was all excited.  Gave him dates, he picked a day, never heard or saw him after that conversation.   Reliability is a necessity for the rallies.  Ask Steve Dixon about schedules and "no shows".

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The master of "shiny" on this forum is Broncohauler.  But very nice job.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Mothers polishing paste. Wonderful stuff. We use it for polishing stainless bracelets, rings, belt buckles, etc. That and a buffer will make it shinny. 

Rouge is the key. 

http://www.chromeshopmafia.com/how-tos/machine-polishing-with-bar-rouge/

Edited by lockmup68

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

You are right about the rouge.  Bronco recommended the green bar, said it was sold at all the truck stops.  Well he ended up shipping me supplies from California because Tennessee Truck Stops quit selling it.  My luck.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Nice job sure wish I could find someone to do mine. 

Suite hate to hear the truck stops stopped selling the stuff. But I got three different colors (Green,White and red) last fall. I think it was at the Dickson Tn truck stop. Those bars will outlast me.

Pete

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

• 4 years later...

I have been using a 4.5" angle grinder for polishing. I have a wheel made of cloth, and "fingers" gripping the cloth to the metal backing. It's lasted me many years, but now worn out. All I see available on Ebay are fiber wheels, look like Scotch Brite. Anyone use one of these? With the speed of an angle grinder I wouldn't use something that will fly apart. 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

California Custom Purple works magic on aluminum! It is the most efficient and effortless polish I've ever used. This is a 2-part de-oxidizer and polish. Wipe on de-oxidizer, wipe off; then apply polish the same way, wipe on/wipe off.

It would take more time to get out a buffer than polish one rim by hand with the Purple stuff IMO.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, ARGO said:

I have been using a 4.5" angle grinder for polishing. I have a wheel made of cloth, and "fingers" gripping the cloth to the metal backing. It's lasted me many years, but now worn out. All I see available on Ebay are fiber wheels, look like Scotch Brite. Anyone use one of these? With the speed of an angle grinder I wouldn't use something that will fly apart. 

Look on the Iowa 80 website. https://www.iowa80.com/pd/9-airway-buffing-wheel-with-center-plate/314954/

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Evan Steger is in Chilton WI and polishing is his business...and he's very good at it. He has a website where he sells what he uses in his shop. 

https://goshineon.com

His YouTube channel has tons of videos showing how to polish wheels, tanks, steps etc. 

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCSrl0w2geebnpMWROeDp-Gg

I bought stuff to strip my Alcoa Durabrite wheels then polish them. I'm also attempting to polish a five door aluminum rack that goes behind the sleeper. I started on the side since it wasn't polished (mill finish) and will be mostly covered by the side fairings of the sleeper. I sanded with 400 then 600 and started polishing. You can see instant gratification...but...too get it perfect like Evan does has turned out to be a job. There are faint horizontal lines you can see that shouldn't be there. It's all about technique which I don't have yet if ever. Heat is your friend and my shop is 50* so that's really too cold for best results. 

This is the used rack just as I bought it. There's a lot of shine hidden in there.

sigX3G6l.jpg

Rear steps behind the sleeper.

VKivLFhl.jpg

Bottom of steps should have been sanded before polishing. This is with brown compound only on the steps. The next step should be "color" with green compound.

OOOSDzWl.jpg

This is my first attempt at polishing stuff this big and with specific equipment to do it right. Same stuff used by people that use it everyday for a living.