Brakes Frozen

RandyA

With back surgery this past July and the unexpected length required for recovery the Volvo and the fiver have spent the summer sitting.  The one exception was taking the Volvo out in September to get some diesel fuel with our reward points from Kroger.  I am now prepping for our first trip since returning home from the ECR.  I needed to move the Volvo up to the house to load some of our winter gear.  The Volvo is parked on a level gravel surface behind the fiver.  After starting the truck and letting the air pressure build I pushed in the brake release.  When I tried to pull out the truck would not budge.  I got out and noted that the right rear tires had been spinning in the gravel.  Other than the holes the tires had dug there was no indication of movement from the other wheels.  Back in the truck I checked the brake release again and depressed the pedal several times.  The left rear wheels remained frozen.  I then began a process of trying reverse then low range but still could not move.  I got out, took some 8x8 chocks and wedged them tightly against the right side tires hoping I could reduce their tendency to spin.  Back in the truck in low gear I heard a "pop" and the truck lunged forward.  After removing the chocks I drove the truck carefully around the neighborhood using the brakes frequently.  Other than an initial squealing noise they worked perfectly.  When I returned to my parking place I cut the engine off, placed the truck in gear and then put chocks under the wheels.  I did NOT set the parking brake.  But, I got to thinking later that as the air pressure leaked down the spring brakes would probably engage anyway.

My first thought was that the brake shoes had rusted to the drum.  But, it occurred to me brake shoes do not rust.  My next concern was that the brake chamber, spring assembly or hardware around the brake shoes might be a cause for concern.  Pulling the rear wheels to do an inspection is not something that I can currently do (back healing).  Now, the truck had been sitting during a wet, humid spell for about ten weeks.  What I would like to know is if any one of our group has had the same experience and if so did you discover a problem other than inactivity?  BTW - Adjustment of the brakes and greasing of the appropriate fittings was accomplished at a Speedco on the way home from the ECR.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Your comment "other than squealing" is a dead giveaway that the drums were rusted between drum and shoes as well as heavier rust on each side of each shoe. Your assumption is correct, the spring brakes will lose pressure and activate over time.

The only preventative measure that works is frequent use.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Mine did the same thing the winter I was out west skiing, the truck basically sat all winter but if I am home on move it around every 2 weeks to avoid this happening. I had to beat on the back to free the last wheel and since then it has been fine, more use the better, enjoy your trip south for the winter.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

1 hour ago, Sehc said:

I have had two trucks freeze the disk brakes. The bolts that the calipers ride needed to be well lubricated.

Oh well just make me feel bad, why don't ya? :D :D  I wish I had a truck new enough to have disc brakes.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Howdy All,

This not only happens to brakes but can also happen to your clutch if you have driven through deep water and then park the truck for an extended period of time.  Back when I was heavy into Jeeps I bought cheap many old Jeeps that the owners thought need a new clutch as it would not disengage.  I would buy the Jeep, start it in gear drive it with the clutch pedal pushed in, while hitting the gas pedal hard and then letting up completely usually with in 3-5 times doing this the clutch would break free from the flywheel and all was well.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 hours ago, dlcarsonak said:

I had the pin freeze. The one that connects the push rod to the slack adjuster.

He's back!!!!!  You were missed.😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks to all who responded.  1,000 miler coming up next week.  Time for snowbirds to fly south for the winter. I sure don't want any trouble on the road - especially with brake problems.  I remember crossing the Little Big Horn and blowing an air line, losing pressure and having the brakes lock down just as I got to a gravel pull-off.  Fortunately, the "blow" was visible under the hood on the driver's side and I had some extra line I had scavenged from a wrecking yard along with splice fittings and got moving again.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

4 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

This not only happens to brakes but can also happen to your clutch if you have driven through deep water and then park the truck for an extended period of time.  Back when I was heavy into Jeeps I bought cheap many old Jeeps that the owners thought need a new clutch as it would not disengage.  I would buy the Jeep, start it in gear drive it with the clutch pedal pushed in, while hitting the gas pedal hard and then letting up completely usually with in 3-5 times doing this the clutch would break free from the flywheel and all was well.

Dave

Don't forget the fan clutch. They can also seize together. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The K30's are the worst at that.  Friggen annoying, but you can change the liner on-truck after you get it unstuck.  That was the big worry for air discs, if they stick there is nothing to beat on that isn't expensive or that really gets you anywhere.  So far sticking hasn't really been a thing with them.  I've had one try a few years ago but it was pretty weak.  But as aftermarket linings are starting to get popular the potential probably starts going up....

On 11/25/2019 at 8:49 PM, RandyA said:

Thanks to all who responded.  1,000 miler coming up next week.  Time for snowbirds to fly south for the winter. I sure don't want any trouble on the road - especially with brake problems.  I remember crossing the Little Big Horn and blowing an air line, losing pressure and having the brakes lock down just as I got to a gravel pull-off.  Fortunately, the "blow" was visible under the hood on the driver's side and I had some extra line I had scavenged from a wrecking yard along with splice fittings and got moving again.

If you are wintering down my way again, the weather has been horrible the last two weeks. got all the way down to 68 degrees. I had to abandon the shorts for the full length pants. Also I had to turn off the air conditioning and the ceiling fan. It was bothering the dog, who had to sleep with us under the covers, instead of on top of the covers. But they are predicting low 80's again in a week or so.