YES, I tried searching, HDT who besides National General offers insurance?

mr. cob

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/2/2019 at 2:44 PM, HERO Maker said:

Claim!!!!!

I haven't had a claim or a ticket in YEARS and I just got my "offer" from National General for next year. It's a 1200.00 a year increase. Last year was $1000 increase. Nope, I've got a month and a half...time to start calling around again. I'm not paying $5000+ a year for the HDT, trailer and smart. And National General has the lowest limits for personal property of any, and offers no riders for high dollar items.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:17 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Thanks Dave... I will be asking our agent about Progressive as well.

Me too....amongst others. So far Progressive is lower but I need to compare the actual policies. Still waiting to hear back from Farmers, Farm and City  and a broker friend. Anyone else have ideas?? 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks Shorty. I'll hunt for a local agent. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Howdy All,

Sorry to hear that others have also been "offered" a no lube shafting from national general.  The problem with unique insurance needs such as we who use an HDT in the RV environment is that there are so few places who will even offer the service at any price, if one such company can get by with such rate increases its probably only a matter of time before they all do the same.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We have had National General insurance for 14 years.  Our HDT is older, 2001 and even though we have full coverage I'm sure they wouldn't pay much.  Our bill is a little over $600 a year.  I inquired about increasing the value of the HDT but the bill would increase drastically so I just accept their cheap coverage.  They also insure our car, PU and 5er.  The last ticket I had was more than 30 years ago.  We have not had a claim with them.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

We have had National General insurance for 14 years.  Our HDT is older, 2001 and even though we have full coverage I'm sure they wouldn't pay much.  Our bill is a little over $600 a year.  I inquired about increasing the value of the HDT but the bill would increase drastically so I just accept their cheap coverage.  They also insure our car, PU and 5er.  The last ticket I had was more than 30 years ago.  We have not had a claim with them.  

You bring up a point that hasn't been covered here.     State of issue, the rates you see in Colorado or I see in Kansas are not the same risk pool in Texas.     Because there are a large number of HDT RV's based in Texas they may have a higher loss ratio than states with few RV's and few if any claims?   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

• 6 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I have gotten my truck-trailer insurance through Miller in Oregon.  Better coverage then I had for LESS money then I was paying to national general BEFORE they decided to rape me.  The new policies are through Progressive, if your in the market to get or renew the insurance for your HDT I would suggest giving these folks a call.

Miller insurance, 800-622-6347

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am also located in Washington State and am trying to research insurance for my future HDT. Does your insurance through Miller allow you to bobtail? I am not going to be full timing and am trying to figure out if I can insure the truck under a motor home policy or if I will need a commercial policy. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Hi kswrmk we just received quotes for hdt from miller, progressive,national general was a joke,State Farm will do it if you are a current customer. Herrmann insurance in rapid city has been the best. Miller no bobtail. St as the farm and herrmann that went through nationwide will let you great rates too

Call Lazy Days RV in Tampa FL.  They know their stuff.  We got better coverage for lower price than any of the others mentioned.  I can bobtail and pull any non-commercial trailer all I want.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

26 minutes ago, Danandfreda said:

Hi kswrmk we just received quotes for hdt from miller, progressive,national general was a joke,State Farm will do it if you are a current customer. Herrmann insurance in rapid city has been the best. Miller no bobtail. St as the farm and herrmann that went through nationwide will let you great rates too

23 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Call Lazy Days RV in Tampa FL.  They know their stuff.  We got better coverage for lower price than any of the others mentioned.  I can bobtail and pull any non-commercial trailer all I want.

Thanks for the information from both of you. I will give the companies you suggested a call this week. We won't be bobtailing a lot, but definitely need the ability to do so. It won't work for us if we can't. Definitely a lot of hurdles to jump through. Lucky for us, it appears there are a lot of good coaches around here to teach me how to hurdle! Greatly appreciated.

I'd like to "qualify" my above post.  I'm no insurance guru, but I believe different companies may have different rules from one state to another.  For instance, our policy through Lazy Days is actually a Progressive policy.  Other with Progressive can't bobtail or pull any trailer other than the one listed on the policy (they required we have both truck and trailer with them).  OTOH, pricing the same policy through Miller, they said I couldn't bobtail or pull any other trailer, besides the one listed.

Is this all clear as mud?  I hate insurance, until I need it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

This might not help everyone since our policy is part of a commercial farm policy but if you own a farm or a company it might apply. We just paid our premium to Auto-Owners Ins. Co. for 2020 which included 2 vehicles for a total cost of $1,300.  The first vehicle is a 2000 F350 PL PD only, it is listed as being principally garaged and used on the farm by a 67 yr. old fart.  The second Vehicle is a 2012 Volvo MotorHome  with collision, a $5,000 deductible and is valued at $78,000.  We are listed as the interested party and the lessor of the Volvo. We are stated as an additional insured and loss payee.  We also have 2 personal vehicles that are insured on a different personal policy with Auto-Owners which might influence the premiums. 

I have to quote and 2X Rick......... "Is this all clear as mud?  I hate insurance, until I need it".

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

On 7/24/2019 at 9:13 PM, bockofma said:

Good evening, Mr. Cob.

Try:

Farm and City Insurance

fcisinsurance.com

1-800-331-1520

Regards,

Michael

Good Morning Dave.

Farm and City is where I have my insurance also.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Chiming in as we go through this insurance adventure. We currently have a MDT and 36' 5'er insured through Safeco. They are not interested in handling the HDT even reclassified as a motorhome.

I just got off the phone with Lazy Days in Tampa. An hour later.... the quote is equal to the coverage we have now with Safeco for both the truck and the trailer, just $150 more per year...$1092 total.

- both have to be insured together through Progressive

- bobtailing is okay.

- NOT a full timer policy. Vacation use only, although I have not seen the policy yet to determine if there is a day limit which they would bump up the policy to full-time use.

If we drop the trailer from the policy, the truck gets bumped up to commercial status and that will be $1476/yr for the truck alone.

Now the wrinkle...or as Paul Harvey use to say 'Now for the rest of the story'.

Licensing the Volvo 630 we are buying next week, as a motorhome is fairly easy. Well, really easy in Utah. But we can't do that until the DMV puts their eyes on the truck. So no registering the truck as a motorhome in Utah from Georgia where we're buying it. This makes the drive back interesting. It's technically still a commercial truck (even though the hitch and air lines to a commercial trailer removed). The temp tags from Georgia are commercial. 

The insurance company will start the insurance on the truck (as a motorhome) the day we take possession. But it will not have the Utah motorhome classification....technically. So we don't want to bump into anything on the way back...or get bumped into. That would be a nice mess to sort out.

Like others... we will keep posting as this insurance thing evolves. It just can't be easy anymore.

Bob & Lisa

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

When we bought our truck, I got commercial insurance with the understanding it was temporary, until I could get MH status.  Cost a few bucks, but it was simple.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

55 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

When we bought our truck, I got commercial insurance with the understanding it was temporary, until I could get MH status.  Cost a few bucks, but it was simple.

That's how we had to do it as well. Commercial until registered as MH.

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

4 hours ago, COFLTravler said:

Anyone else have Lazy Days (Progressive) - would like to hear how they compare to Miller (Progressive) and not being able to bobtail.

Mark

No bob tail restrictions for us, through Lazy Days.  Miller said no bob tailing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Mine is insured thru Miller National General. It is on same policy as our Teton. It is insuranced though as a truck and not an rv. Nothing in my policy states no bobtail. I asked and they said ok. Now I don't drive it a lot. Just use for a pickup when needed and tow camper. Had my policy for a few years now. My insurance is high but I had a car flooded and deer totaled one. They pay great.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a long talk with Miller yesterday, Got a progressive policy thru them. Right at a thousand less. That's HDT, Durango, Smart, Teton. She did state progressive just has not went up yet. Expect increase at renewal. On bobtailing, sorta, I can use HDT as a pickup, groceries, lowes, etc. They do not want me go way  with HDT for a time without camper. Also don't tow anyone else camper. Reason being it would not be covered if something happened. But for $918,00 a year, I can't complain. Now a certain fellow on here got a commercial policy for non commercial use thru Progressive, Stated cost was resonable. I didn't exsplore this but posting info for someone else

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 3/13/2020 at 9:06 AM, COFLTravler said:

Anyone else have Lazy Days (Progressive) - would like to hear how they compare to Miller (Progressive) and not being able to bobtail.

Mark

I'll add to my reply above, Miller also said I could only pull the trailer which is also on the policy, while Lazy Days said any non-commercial trailer is fine, including moving a friends rv, so long as it's done without compensation. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN