Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Taking several bikes AND a Jeep is always going to be problematic. With a truck/trailer you have to tow doubles or you have to be overlength - assuming you want a reasonable living space. I'd rather be overlength given the two options.

Another consideration is a DP towing an enclosed trailer with your "stuff". You may still be overlength, though, depending on the DP. OR, make that DP a truck conversion and tow a trailer. A stacker trailer may make you a bit shorter if the bikes will load above the Jeep.

DP = Diesel pusher?

The goal is to have a 'car', ideally a jeep, to get around locally OR the dually pick up. The Ford you mentioned, on paper, or the Dodge, seem like possibilities. Bikes in toy hauler.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we're planning on is a 17'+- deck on the HDT to allow us to carry a Jeep, Smart, Mini Cooper or just about any other short car. It may limit us on some parks- Yellowstone for example- but should be no issue with the majority of places.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My bed is 18' (the original 12' of frame rails plus the 6' I added). You are not going to carry a Jeep with any less. My front bumper is about 4" from the back of the cab and from the rear bumper to the pin is around 45"~46" (ET hitch at very end of frame rails).

More often than not the limitation on site selection is based on trailer size and not over all size of the combination. In a HDT with the hitch behind the axles instead of over the axles in a p/u you have a huge advantage positioning with the HDT over the p/u. Personally I have yet to come across a site that a 40'~45' DP can manage in/out of that I can not also. That does not mean that there is enough room to park the truck there but I can get the trailer in/out.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Why not buy something like this.....plenty room for bike, jeep & more....lots of capacity w/ great power.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Toterhomes/182153810/2012-SHOWHAULER-AND-TRAILER-COMBO.html

33765769-117-2012-SHOWHAULER-AND-TRAILER

Edited by BushPilot

Don R. - 2004 42ft Haulmark on a Freightliner Columbia Chassis - for a large Old English Sheep Dog

th_TexasRoadTrain.jpg

I'd like just the reverse of that, toys on the truck and living quarters on the trailer so you could camp one place and play nearby without having to break camp.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I'd like just the reverse of that, toys on the truck and living quarters on the trailer so you could camp one place and play nearby without having to break camp.

its a buyers market....some guys over at truckconversion.net are building their own, surely you could do it too - build the house/trailer and the garage coach...with a small rest area in the coach for longer distance travel.

me personally....i park on a HARD surface and ride in/out.

anything w/ enough luxury (for me) is not off road capable !

i did my yrs of tent camping - i want a warm shower & cold beer at the end of my day (where ever that might be)

Don R. - 2004 42ft Haulmark on a Freightliner Columbia Chassis - for a large Old English Sheep Dog

th_TexasRoadTrain.jpg

Hi Folks

Iam a lurker also . Iam in a slightly different situation that most that I have read about here ,I already have a 2000 Peterbilt 379 long hood, 230 WB full tandem,that I have put on 1.2 million miles on since I bought it new. I am still using it on the highway but would like to start using it part time or to take long trips with . We do not have a trailer at this time,but have been looking and have found a 2002 Hitch Hiker Premier 38 FT that we like .My concern is will it be to long to move around a camp ground ? i know the Pete does not turn like a Volvo . Are there folks still using HDT for double purpose and how is it working for them? Is a 2002 (1 owner) trailer to old ? Any info would be great, Thanks John

2000 379 Peterbilt ex hd

J D,

Welcome. If you're put all those miles on that Pete, you'll be fine. Campgrounds are often tight, but I'm gonna bet you can handle it.

In my opinion, past usage and care mean more than vintage, whether it be truck, trailer, or spouse. There might be some parts that need a little sprucing up, but an older model can serve you well. Same for the truck and trailer. :ph34r:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hi Folks

Iam a lurker also . Iam in a slightly different situation that most that I have read about here ,I already have a 2000 Peterbilt 379 long hood, 230 WB full tandem,that I have put on 1.2 million miles on since I bought it new. I am still using it on the highway but would like to start using it part time or to take long trips with . We do not have a trailer at this time,but have been looking and have found a 2002 Hitch Hiker Premier 38 FT that we like .My concern is will it be to long to move around a camp ground ? i know the Pete does not turn like a Volvo . Are there folks still using HDT for double purpose and how is it working for them? Is a 2002 (1 owner) trailer to old ? Any info would be great, Thanks John

Hi JD, are you talking about using your truck for work, towing someone elses cargo and also using it to pull your trailer? Being a full timer who makes ends meet as a truck driver, finding local work as you move about the country? That sounds like it might be a good idea, too.

Thanks Rickeieio for the insight . DW & I got a good chuckle. Larry, I would use the Pete full time pulling freight and then pull 5th part time it summer and then take the 5th south for the winter and then go back to pulling freight box in the spring .Are their people doing this, and are they using the same 5th wheel or switching them out ?

2000 379 Peterbilt ex hd

Thanks Rickeieio for the insight . DW & I got a good chuckle. Larry, I would use the Pete full time pulling freight and then pull 5th part time it summer and then take the 5th south for the winter and then go back to pulling freight box in the spring .Are their people doing this, and are they using the same 5th wheel or switching them out ?

That sounds like a reasonable way to make enough to work part of the year and play part of the year. How does what you can earn stack up against the costs of using your own truck?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My wife and I are starting our countdown to full time in 2016. We’ve been lurking for some time and I’d say we’re entering the “dangerously smart” phase, thinking we have a pretty good idea how we want to do it. We think “the must haves” are an HDT (auto transmission), carrying a Smart and pulling a vintage 5th like a Teton or Kountry Aire or similar.

We plan on joining the October HDT rally, probably in one of those obnoxiously advertized class C rentals. I expect we’ll start seriously shopping for the “right” set up shortly after Hutchinson. Until then, we’ll continue enjoying the posts and may even make a stab at an intelligent comment.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Welcome, Jim & Wilma!

In looking for a rig, don't overlook those rigs for sale by HDT'ers--who have chosen, or been forced by unforeseen circumstances, into a different lifestyle.

Hope we'll see ya in Hutch, October 2014!

Raymond

Raymond (G8r.Ray; i.e., Gator Ray) & Janet
Grinnin' ear-to-ear, since 2012-03-14

2005 Volvo 630 Motor Coach,

VE D12 465hp/1650lb-ft, 12 sp FreedomLine (2-Peddle),
217in WB, smart car deck/bed by Toterman, Pressure Pro,
PowerTank, Crossfire (dual tire pressure equilizer)

2006 smart forTwo Passion (450, Gen I), Ruby Red/Silver
2008 smart forTwo Passion (451, Gen II), Blue/Black
2009 DRV Mobile Suites 36RS3

Larry,

For what it is worth, I have a Weekend Warrior CR3905 (TH) and have a 2008 JK Wrangler. The Toyhauler handles the jeep with no problems, as long as you are aware of Gross Weight. Prior to undertaking this, I had the fortune of being able to talk to the former Lead Engineer that designed the Weekend Warrior later models and he said that most of the big name toy haulers can handle something like an average (2 Door) Wrangler, BUT, people tend to NOT take the time to get actual weights of all the items being loaded, in addition to something like a Jeep, and wind up overloading the trailer through a whole lot of guessing.

I have been hauling my TH with a F-350 Ford Super Duty 4x4 Dually Crew Cab and have a lot of experience owning and driving Class 8 trucks. Even though the F-350 still meets the criteria to handle the TH, on paper, I can tell you that I am in the process of selling the F-350 and buying something that will be total overkill for the job.

If you are going to be doing much in the way of off pavement driving and go for a Class 8 truck, I would recommend keeping the truck tandem and dualed out, as well as installing the widest practical steer tires.

John

Edited by VegasFlyer

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I just have just started lurking this forum and HDT. I have been researching RV'ing off and on for a couple of years (so technically I'm a wannabe). The HDT makes a lot of sense to me due to the safety, power and price. I work in computers but have a side bobcat business and owned a tandem dump truck so the idea of driving a semi is not a big issue.

As I am reading the information about the sleepers on the Volvo's, I'm beginning to wonder if it might be worth looking at getting a HDT first and use it for short weekend stays. I am single with no kids so the idea of doing fairly minimalist camping is intriguing. I am also wondering if doing that would give me time to decide exactly how I would want to configure the bed. I believe I would eventually like to be able to load my jeep on the bed which would require keeping the truck tandem and might also keep down some of the initial cost.

I still have a lot of research to do and start setting aside money. I normally wouldn't post anything since I am just in the research phase but the website seemed to really encourage lurkers to say hello so here I am. :) I really appreciate all the information on this forum and the resource website.

Welcome, if you are committed to use an HDT for RVing getting a truck first would be a good move. Yes indeed they are so well equipped for commercial long haul trucking that you can use these for camping as is. You really do not need the second axle of a tandem setup. It is unlikely that you could "dream up" any setup of body and load that a single axle couldn't carry (19,500 pounds). With single axle you also bring it's classification down and it's easier to "persuade" the powers to be that it is a class 7 single axle vehicle, which can help with registrations, insurance and local ordinances.

Thanks for the welcome Phoenix. I have been researching other posts on single vs tandem and some had said if you load anything other than a smart car, by the time you add fuel/truck bed/jeep etc that it could overload the front axle weight limit. I figured if that was the case then keeping it tandem and just adding a bed when I had a better idea of what I wanted would be a reasonable approach. I still learning. :ph34r: I am lucky in that one of the recommended dealers is only 2 hours from me so I may go there just to take a look. In some ways I can almost see sleeping in the camper would be ideal. No long checklist to make sure the trailer is ready to go. Just check the truck and jump in and go.

There is only one scenario when you might overload the front axle RVing with an HDT. Single it long, load it to the hilt and run it bobtail. This is the truck that would overload the front axle by a few hundred pounds,

2989325070096176628zjXQrh_ph.jpg

it's a 770 (the longest and heaviest of the Volvos), it was singled long, had a pretty heavy bed and garage and an internal overhead hoist and it would overload the fronts when loaded with two motorcycles and ran like this, bobtail.

The minute the owner would hook up the fifth and put 5,000 pounds on the hitch, the problem would go away. If it was singled mid I don't think there would be any issues in any configuration.

You "can" overload a rear axle on a singled truck, but it takes some doing and a heavy pin weight. I'm close on my tractor with the smart loaded, full fuel and my 6200lb+ pin weight. I also have a lot of tools, and a large drom box. I'm not over, but I would be with a Jeep set up for offroading.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Larry,

For what it is worth, I have a Weekend Warrior CR3905 (TH) and have a 2008 JK Wrangler. The Toyhauler handles the jeep with no problems, as long as you are aware of Gross Weight. Prior to undertaking this, I had the fortune of being able to talk to the former Lead Engineer that designed the Weekend Warrior later models and he said that most of the big name toy haulers can handle something like an average (2 Door) Wrangler, BUT, people tend to NOT take the time to get actual weights of all the items being loaded, in addition to something like a Jeep, and wind up overloading the trailer through a whole lot of guessing.

I have been hauling my TH with a F-350 Ford Super Duty 4x4 Dually Crew Cab and have a lot of experience owning and driving Class 8 trucks. Even though the F-350 still meets the criteria to handle the TH, on paper, I can tell you that I am in the process of selling the F-350 and buying something that will be total overkill for the job.

If you are going to be doing much in the way of off pavement driving and go for a Class 8 truck, I would recommend keeping the truck tandem and dualed out, as well as installing the widest practical steer tires.

John

Hi John,

Are you saying the WW (and most of the big name haulers) can handle a Jeep loaded inside or are strong enough to double tow? That seems like an awful lot to ask of the ones I have looked at, garaging inside. But, I have not looked at them in a comprehensive fashion so, I don't know.

The thing I keep going around in circles with my self is using the tow vehicle to get around in once the trailer is set up OR having that extra vehicle. Jack, and others, comfortably use their HDT to get get groceries, run errands, etc and I am fine with that. And I do like the idea of the truck being an overnighter 'mini' RV. And, of course, love the idea of having the power to climb any grade at speed AND stop it. And, frankly, it's just cool as all get out to be riding long miles in a big, comfortable truck.

However, I also like the idea of having a dually 4 wd pick up as the tow vehicle where I can throw some dirt bikes in the back and get out in the bush where the HDT ain't gonna be able to go, to go riding, day trips which I could not do with a jeep. Unless I had a trailer for the Jeep. Which then adds another substantial piece of gear to consider.

My intent is to set up shop for 3-6 months at a time and live and explore areas, thoroughly, before moving on so, I am thinking that perhaps the day to day plus's of having a dually pickup for non towing purposes might make up for it's shortcomings as a tow vehicle vs. the HDT. I would absolutely lean the other way if I was moving every other week and intending on putting many thousands of miles on per year.

Now, that said, I would also like to spend some time 'following' events. For instance, if I was escaped right now, I would be following the motorcross circuit from track to track. Last week, they were in SoCal, this past weekend, NorCal and next week off to Colorado, then Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Upstate New York, Maryland, then ending in Utah. THAT would virtually demand an HDT.

So, that brings me back, again, to an HDT, have the dirt bikes on the deck along with a lot of the tools, etc, 5th wheel toy hauler, carrying/towing a jeep plus the street bike (another 800 pounds), figuring out how to store a small trailer that could handle a couple of dirt bikes OR, perhaps, look at a garaging a, say, Tacoma or even a F150 pick up. A Jeep is damn near 5,000 pounds. a full size 4wd pickup isn't much more and a Tacoma looks like it is a little less and certainly weighs no more than a Jeep.

Double towing presents it's own set of challenges which brought about the idea of garaging that vehicle, be what it may so, it's good to know that, potentially, it might not be a cu$tom thing to be able to garage it if WW and other major 5th wheel toy haulers could handle the weight.

I apologize for this endless meandering but, I need to get my plan set so I can narrow in and start piecing it together.

Thanks!

I am a previous Weekend Warrior owner and would not recommend putting any street legal 4 wheel vehicle in the Garage.

I started off carrying a Mini Cooper in the box on the truck and continued to have the

motorcycle in the Toyhauler garage, but with my new trailer it's much nicer knowing if I have an issue with the truck I will be able to off load the car to assist and not have to figure

out how to load something on the motorcycle. (if required.)My Isuzu VehiCross with it's all

wheel drive has no problem crawling up the ramps into the trailer. A loading dock is much

easier, but sometimes they are hard to find.

Rod

Larry,

John

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

sounds like you'd be better off with a Conversion Truck / Garage Coach & flat towing the jeep.

TexasRoadTrain.jpg

Hi John,

Are you saying the WW (and most of the big name haulers) can handle a Jeep loaded inside or are strong enough to double tow? That seems like an awful lot to ask of the ones I have looked at, garaging inside. But, I have not looked at them in a comprehensive fashion so, I don't know.

The thing I keep going around in circles with my self is using the tow vehicle to get around in once the trailer is set up OR having that extra vehicle. Jack, and others, comfortably use their HDT to get get groceries, run errands, etc and I am fine with that. And I do like the idea of the truck being an overnighter 'mini' RV. And, of course, love the idea of having the power to climb any grade at speed AND stop it. And, frankly, it's just cool as all get out to be riding long miles in a big, comfortable truck.

However, I also like the idea of having a dually 4 wd pick up as the tow vehicle where I can throw some dirt bikes in the back and get out in the bush where the HDT ain't gonna be able to go, to go riding, day trips which I could not do with a jeep. Unless I had a trailer for the Jeep. Which then adds another substantial piece of gear to consider.

My intent is to set up shop for 3-6 months at a time and live and explore areas, thoroughly, before moving on so, I am thinking that perhaps the day to day plus's of having a dually pickup for non towing purposes might make up for it's shortcomings as a tow vehicle vs. the HDT. I would absolutely lean the other way if I was moving every other week and intending on putting many thousands of miles on per year.

Now, that said, I would also like to spend some time 'following' events. For instance, if I was escaped right now, I would be following the motorcross circuit from track to track. Last week, they were in SoCal, this past weekend, NorCal and next week off to Colorado, then Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Upstate New York, Maryland, then ending in Utah. THAT would virtually demand an HDT.

So, that brings me back, again, to an HDT, have the dirt bikes on the deck along with a lot of the tools, etc, 5th wheel toy hauler, carrying/towing a jeep plus the street bike (another 800 pounds), figuring out how to store a small trailer that could handle a couple of dirt bikes OR, perhaps, look at a garaging a, say, Tacoma or even a F150 pick up. A Jeep is damn near 5,000 pounds. a full size 4wd pickup isn't much more and a Tacoma looks like it is a little less and certainly weighs no more than a Jeep.

Double towing presents it's own set of challenges which brought about the idea of garaging that vehicle, be what it may so, it's good to know that, potentially, it might not be a cu$tom thing to be able to garage it if WW and other major 5th wheel toy haulers could handle the weight.

I apologize for this endless meandering but, I need to get my plan set so I can narrow in and start piecing it together.

Thanks!

th_TexasRoadTrain.jpg

Thought about that and I would like that I am not double towing. But, I don't think it would offer enough room and storage. A 40' 5th wheel toy hauler loses 12-14' to the garage which is fine as my intention is to use it as an extra room when set up, park the bikes outside. A 40' C or A toy hauler loses the garage space plus the cab space. Plus, if the truck needs to be in the shop for a few days, the house has to go with it.

sounds like you'd be better off with a Conversion Truck / Garage Coach & flat towing the jeep.