Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Fls are easy to single,if that is what you choose to do.

What follows is a combination of my opinion, and fact. You can sort out which is which :)

Older FLs are pretty uncomfortable, have a cheap interior, not very good driver amenities, and are noisy. They do, however, have something no other truck does...and that is a very nifty autoshift control on a stalk on the steering column. And it works quite well in my experience. That is the only thing I really like about older FLs. Well, I guess the price is better than a Volvo...so that is a factor - but it is not THAT much better for a truck I would keep for 10+ years.

Newer Cascadias are competitive with a Volvo.....that is my opinion. But they do not have the condo or storage or a dinette like a 780 - that may or may not be important to you. They ride great, have great engines, and are quiet and fuel efficient. I still prefer the Volvo for the larger/better condo, better driver position (that is opinion, and specific to me), and slightly better ride.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda run along the same lines as Jack. We have this huge 5th wheel with lots of basement storage, and we quickly filled it up. Really knew that I wanted the size cab of the 770/780 with all of it's storage area, and now have the right size drom so I can fill it up also! As a full timer, can't be without enough storage.

Plus it rides real nice and is comparatively quiet!

Yes, I enjoy driving it as much as anything I have driven - bobtail or towing.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found this site on Truck Conversions.net. I currently own a 5th wheel toy hauler, which is always overloaded, and a DRW pickup. The pickup handles it fine and it is also my daily driver. However, I feel there are huge limitations on how much weight you can load onto a production 5th wheel. Therefore, I am primarily interested in looking for a TC motorhime and a stacker trailer. I like the idea of almost unlimited weight capacity. I am just trying to learn as much as I can.

I found this site on Truck Conversions.net. I currently own a 5th wheel toy hauler, which is always overloaded, and a DRW pickup. The pickup handles it fine and it is also my daily driver. However, I feel there are huge limitations on how much weight you can load onto a production 5th wheel. Therefore, I am primarily interested in looking for a TC motorhime and a stacker trailer. I like the idea of almost unlimited weight capacity. I am just trying to learn as much as I can.

Toy haulers are easy to overload, as I found out. An HDT with a reasonable bed, or box, can get a lot of weight off that trailer. I was in a similar situation as you. The truck in my signature and a new F-150 (leather,crewcab, 4wd) cured the issues for less than a new dually.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

We looked at this site before we purchased our current truck, an F-450. I was trying to retire at the time and we weren't sure of how exactly the finances were gonna work out The finances worked out, the truck, not so much. A lot of decisions were made that affected our camping rig, not the least of which was the purchase of a substantially larger 5ver with a GVWR of nearly 18,000#. Add 9,600# for the truck, and the 44' length, and the 450 is all of a sudden a pretty small truck. A recent trip to the Smokeys merely reinforced that feeling.

At any rate, we've decided to upgrade the truck if possible. I've read until one eye won't open. Now we need to see some tractors up close. Do some serious ciphering. Figure out how & where to sell the 450. Meet a few folks. Listen to a few tall tales & tell a few lies.

See ya'll in Kansas

Edited by Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

We have a Royals International 3842 and are thinking about upgrading to an HDT to tow trailer and haul a Can Am Commander UTV on vacations for now and go fulltime in about 6 years. I want to do this right the first time. At this time we are trying to decide which make/model of truck is the most comfortable for my wife to ride in and the best sleeper arrangement. I am familiar with the older Cummins engines and know how to work on them however am open to other suggestions and would like the reason that you prefer other brands/models. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale

I have been a lurker for a couple of years now. I have wanted a semi from the time I was a little kid. Last month that dream came true when I purchased a 99 Volvo 610.

My wife and I have 3 little girls with the oldest being 7 and the youngest 8 months. We have a rear seat out of a suburban with integrated seat belts on the bottom sleeper to keep the little ones safe. My oldest thinks the Volvo is the coolest thing in the world and wants a ride to school in it regularly which she gets.

We were kind of full timers at one point. Ten years ago when I was going to college we bought a Teton Madison that we lived in for 2 years so we did not pay rent. Some of our family gave is a lot of flack for living in an RV. I guess it's ok to do it when retired but not when starting out. When we sold the Teton for a down payment on our first house they changed their tune and thought we were brilliant. Only problem was we could not afford a house that was anywhere near as nice as our Teton inside.

We are about 15 to 20 years from being able full time again but look forward to that time. For now I am fortunate to have a job where we can go about 70 nights a year and my family loves it. Looking forward to the future with the hdt and hoping maybe someday I will be able to give back to this great community and knowledge base.

Hello, I'm a beginning lurker!

I saw a post by "hjsdds" on what I believe you all call "the other" forum. I was shocked looking at a 45' Space Craft and thus I've been sucked in...

I grew up in Malibu and used to be a commercial waterproofing contractor in So. California. My wife was born in Korea but moved to the states when she was little. We met at Cal State Long Beach and have been married 23 years. We have a son, Barry (13), and a daughter, Faith (11), and our stupid dog (OSD) Fang.

We figured out that there were easier ways to lose money than being a union contractor, so we decided to move to Korea so our kids could be closer to my wife's parents. We started an English school in 2003 and have been English teachers ever since.

We have two popup trailers (8' and 12'). Anything bigger just won't work here-the CGs are too small and it only takes 5 hours to drive from the top to the bottom of S. Korea! I honestly doubt I'll ever have the resources to afford a class 7 or 8, and am beginning to doubt that I will ever move back to the U.S. Nonetheless, I enjoy looking at everything you all do. I thought class A MHs were big!

Baron

If you're curious about camping in Korea, I have a couple of albums on Photobucket you're welcome to look at.

Camping in Korea before our trailer Camping in Korea in a popup

• 2 weeks later...

HI all, yet another lurker! One from Down Under! No rig yet but that will come I guess. I will fire occasionally from the hip and then enjoy the flak! And like more than a few others, I learn something new from the stalwarts of the forum, thanks to all!

Trev

Hi everyone, been a lurker for a while. Would love to have an HDT for a couple of reasons: it would be cheaper than a new 3500 Ram and no worries about weight and braking! However my current home state got rid of they're non-commercial Class A/B drivers license. It is still a dream to have one. Just not now. I have followed many builds and mod threads and learned a lot!

Thanks to all.

MikeH

MikeH, what state are you in? And...welcome to the group!!

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Mike, I gotta say I love your handle. I spent 30 years in Submarines. I never did a tour in Groton though. Who knows we may have crossed paths one way or another. I am glad to see you left your lurker status. Hopefully we cross paths in the future.

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone from Spokane WA. I have been lurking on the site for some time now, and figured it was time for an introduction. My wife and I purchased a 2006 Volvo 780 in August with the intention of taking longer trips with our three kids in our fifth wheel. We plan on leaving the truck stock for next season with the exception of an air hitch and Jackalopee until we figure out whether or at what length we want to single the truck. At the moment both rears are out of the truck for the purpose of pressing bushing and replacing some broken spring dowels. The rest of the winter will be spent repairing/replacing minor items to ensure that we are ready for next season. I have greatly enjoyed reading the various posts on this site, and hope that I can contribute in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife (Diane) and I (Tim) are huge lurkers, trying to take in as much as we can. We have decided that we can find a Volvo with higher mileage the same or less price as a 1-Ton dually.

My concern is whether we can afford the maintenance once we buy it. The other question is whether we are going to limit ourselves in finding a park that will take us. Outside of these two considerations, we are sold on jumping right into a HDT. Any advice from you seasoned vets would be welcomed.

I'm a new RV tech and plan to take this trade on the road. I'm glad to be on-board with Escapees and look forward to knowing you all.

Tim & Diane

After 4 years I have found maintenance to be a wash. The big difference is it is all done at once now so I see 1 single large bill instead of several smaller bills thru out the year. I figure even tires are going to be a wash or even cheaper. Yes I shed a tear when I replaced them all this year but I should not have to do it again for another 7 years. In the P/U I was doing tires ever 18~24 months. Again 1 big bill at once instead of spending the same money spread out over time.

I have yet to be turned away using the HDT. If a 40'~45' DP fits I have no trouble getting in the same spot. Occasionally the over all setup will not fit in the spot but I have no problems getting the trailer parked and then just park the truck in overflow parking.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

We're going to move up from our truck camper to a 5th wheel toyhauler in the next year or so. I've gone through several stages of mind-changing regarding our rig-to-be, but at this time I'm thinking we'll look for a short toterhome or maybe sleeper cab to haul our 5th wheel. I was previously thinking about a bigger toterhome, but from our previous 5th-wheel experience, I'm concerned that a toter and a 5th wheel will size us out of a large number of potential campsites. I'm currently self-educating myself on the topic of Class 8 conversion rigs.

rig4.jpg

My wife (Diane) and I (Tim) are huge lurkers, trying to take in as much as we can. We have decided that we can find a Volvo with higher mileage the same or less price as a 1-Ton dually.

My concern is whether we can afford the maintenance once we buy it. The other question is whether we are going to limit ourselves in finding a park that will take us. Outside of these two considerations, we are sold on jumping right into a HDT. Any advice from you seasoned vets would be welcomed.

I'm a new RV tech and plan to take this trade on the road. I'm glad to be on-board with Escapees and look forward to knowing you all.

Tim & Diane

We bought a high mileage truck to keep the initial investment down. 5 years old with 836,000 miles for $27,000. With a truck like that a good inspection is a must which we had done by a Volvo dealer. They also did a dyno to check the quality of the engine and the tranny. About $800 total with an understanding that if it didn't pass I was out $800. Dyno passed but the truck needed about $1,500 of various fixes which the seller agreed to have done by the Volvo dealer.

We had the truck for 8 years and it now has close to 900,000 miles. Over those years we had around $15,000 of repairs, Three big chunks $5,000, $2,000 and $2,000 which we had done on the road and others which we had done in a more "leisurely" way while sitting at home or in a campground. I don't mind fixing things, or having it fixed, it's part of life. If that freaks you out, an older HDT is not for you. Repair on these things are more expensive that on a car or a pickup, because the repairs are expected to outlast a pickup or two. You are playing with "big toys" now. But all in all I am still way below the price of a new pickup puller and I have a "real truck". The reason I wanted a "cheap" HDT because my plan was to outfit it with a fancy deck and drom which was going to put the whole thing between $50K-$60K. So far I'm "on the money".

Don't get in a hurry, and you can get in to a nice truck for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a new 1 ton dually. I lurked here for a while, asked some questions, and found a '01 Volvo 770 for $19.5k, with auto shift and 700k miles. So far we put about $5k in to the bed and air hitch, and another $1500 in repairs.

Or, do as I wish I'd done, and buy one already built and tested from some one here who's moving in some other direction.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! Gearing up for retirement in five years. We have a 2012 F350 SRW with a 2012 Starcraft Lexion ( no not the combine). Seriously dreaming about selling everything and hitting the road. Mamma is looking at the mobile suites therefore I am looking at HDT's. I am a diesel mechanic by trade but have spent the last 25 years with forklifts and the previous 8 years with GM RTS coaches. I would like to get a fixer upper . I will be cruising these forums this winter and am planning on joining the Escapees. We are Good Sam members. We like Kayak fishing and biking. I need some help figuring on where to haul the kayaks, bikes and toad. At least I know where the trailer goes!

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

I would hazard a guess that if you showed up at a rally more than a few folks would be happy to give a prospective HDT owner a heck of a lot more than a nickel tour of an HDT, including a test drive. (I'm hoping... :rolleyes: )

At least that's the impression I get from everyone here. I can't wait to make it back there for a rally, even if I only have a little trailer!

Have fun shopping!

Baron

Yes, if you go to either the National Rally in Hutchinson, KS in October, or the East Coast Rally in TN, in the Spring you will be able to crawl around and drive HDTs. It is common to have people come to the National Rally before they purchase an HDT. We encourage this, if at all possible. It is good to know what you are getting into, and to have a realistic perspective of the "product".

www.jackdanmayer.com

Mike, I gotta say I love your handle. I spent 30 years in Submarines. I never did a tour in Groton though. Who knows we may have crossed paths one way or another. I am glad to see you left your lurker status. Hopefully we cross paths in the future.

Thanks Jim, maybe we have crossed paths. Pearl Harbor '84-88, '92-95 & San Dog before and in between for school. 3 out of 4 Boats have been Decommisioned. The 4th will go away soon. I have been building the next generation Virginia Class for the last 10 years. I was lucky, I drove down the river to the new job as I went out the gate for the last time in uniform. Must say, the pay is MUCH better, I get ASKED to work overtime.....I get ASKED to go to sea. Soooooo much better! Most of the folks that I work with are former military. As far as I know, only the CG and AF are not represented in my shop.

MikeH