Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good advise to go by. I would fall in the category of able to do maintenance on my own, but some of the bigger jobs would have to be done by someone else. Makes for a lot to think about regarding what path to take. I am inclined to go with a pre-emission truck with higher miles and convert it myself, but have some more thinking to do before I decide what way I'll go.

On a side note, I can't seem to find the inspection sheet that is on the RV Hauler site. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Would someone be able to enlighten me on how to get it?

Why don't you take a look at Mark Bruss' truck. It is pre emissions, low miles and well cared for. Autoshift.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to add my $0.03 here. First off, Jack has been playing this game for a long time and knows it well. I take what he says seriously.

I am a pretty serious wrencher myself. I have a lift in my shop, and a respectable collection of tools. If I can't do it in my shop I have friends with even bigger shops and bigger tools.

So, with that in mind I sat through the videos on Gregg's site that show the singling of the rear end. This is not for the faint of heart. The shop it was done in had fat air hoses, heavy duty pneumatic tools, and STILL had to get the "gas axe" (large acetylene cutting torch) out for a lot of the fasteners involved. The truck's rear end is heavy, you need a SERIOUS scissor jack. The axles are heavy, they use a forklift to pick them up. They have a grease pit to get under the thing. The ETSr hitch weighs 750 pounds.....And so on, and so forth. With all these heavy duty tools two guys are spending quite a few hours doing the job.

Can it be done in the driveway? Yes. I have a 25 horse tractor that will pick up 750 pounds. Or, an engine hoist can be bought/rented. Harbor Freight is 20 minutes away...If you're a decent fabricator and have a good welder (I do) you can build the bed....... but it is a serious project.

If you are considering this, I would highly recommend watching these videos.....

Start either on the video page of www.rvhauler.ca (scroll waaaay down) or here:

Edited by oscarvan

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

oh, BTW, that IS Jack's truck in the videos...

Yup....my truck. This is pretty much the process you have to go through to get it "right". It CAN be done in a driveway, and has been. But you have to have the skills/desire. And enough tools. But if you really want to you can do it.

On my truck we also went farther than most do and did a LOT of preemptive maintenance. Gregg and I share the same philosophy - make the truck as reliable as possible. Replace things that are worn, but still functional. Replace things that show no wear, but statistically are "sensitive" parts...like air governors. Avoid "on the road" breakdowns. I LIVE on the road, I do not have maintenance facilities "at home". And most campgrounds will not let you do any significant wrenching. I have the skills to do the stuff myself - well, most of it. But I no longer really have the "desire" to do it. You need to factor all of this into your selection criteria, and need to perform an honest assessment on if an HDT really is right for you. You WILL spend money on it, despite the anecdotal stories of people buying 20K trucks and never putting a dime into them. That does happen, but statistically it is unlikely to happen to YOU. You also have to be honest on what comfort/convenience level you want or need. For example, I do not want to row gears. Ever. So that puts me into a relatively new truck. Others LOVE to row gears. That makes their choices simpler and (potentially) cheaper.

HDTs are great, and allow for a lot of flexibility in their use. But they are definitely not for everyone. A new Dodge 5500 properly set up will pull almost any of the new trailers legally, competently and pretty comfortably.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I do not want to row gears. Ever. So that puts me into a relatively new truck. Others LOVE to row gears. That makes their choices simpler and (potentially) cheaper.

I'm torn. On the one hand the automatics make it easy and you sound just as good. On the other hand I do like working a stick, and although my non syncronized experince is limited I'm sure it would fit like a glove in not too many miles..... And the chance of someone else ever driving it is very very low.

Yes, there are a lot more choices out there if you'll take either.

Since we're not full time and I have a height limit on covered parking at my S&B I'm thinking mid roof. Want to keep it short too. (No smart or bike, plus my fiver is a toy hauler...) So a 430, short singled. I DO want a 2.5 rear......

Which brings me to a question. How involved/costly is it to change the ratio? Swap out a whole axle or open up the pumpkin?

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Why do you want to lower the rear ratio?

You can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of a rear or gear set. (there is no market for used rears)

You may be moving your "normal" speed out of the "sweet spot" and gaining nothing.

Just curious.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

I DO want a 2.5 rear......

Which brings me to a question. How involved/costly is it to change the ratio? Swap out a whole axle or open up the pumpkin?

Unless you're replacing an axle for some other reason, ratio changes are generally accomplished by just swapping out the carrier.

I would caution you about going into the process with a "target" ratio in mind, as you're discussing. Many factors enter into the selection of a final drive ratio, and a large, arbitrary change can easily result in a very poorly performing truck.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 2 months later...

I am a newbie here but have lots of life experiences. My mother used to be a flatbed line haul truck driver and drove five different power units during that time for the same company. I liked the Volvo-White unit she had the most due to the cab and sleeper being one unit and how well designed the controls were, much better than Ford or Freightliner.

While I love Caterpillar heavy diesel engines, unfortunately due to the EPA and emissions controls I now prefer Volvo engines and automated manual transmissions.

I am a graduate student at a Texas Christian University in Fort Worth finishing my mates in criminal justice and criminology. My wife is a hospice chaplain and also a graduate student. We have 2 dogs and 4 cats, all rescues. I enjoy science fiction, hunting, firearms, tiny home design, and attempting to live a more minimalist and purpose focused life.

As such, I am working in fits and starts to obtain a HDT and design a tiny home trailer to pull behind it for boondocking and to live in full time with a minimalist lifestyle. It is not easy, but worth the effort.

My goal is to seek out my Serenity through self-change and refocusing how I measure sucess. This change is psychological as well as emotional with the intention to change myself physically for the better.

My Serenity is also a metaphor reflecting my creation of a 21st century embodiment of the science fiction Firefly class cargo ship in the Firefly/Serenity universe.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I just found this post. I've been a member for a couple of weeks now. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions.

I have browsed the RV Haulers site, have been getting the Truck Paper for about a year, and Racing Junk for a few months. I have never driven an HDT. I have owned 4 GM trucks. I have decided not to buy another one. There is no point in buying a vehicle new or used, with those kind of life cycle issues.

I have decided not to attempt singling a truck, and will probably pay to have it done.

My work background includes boat building, cartography, steel factory(70s) wood pattern making, plastics, prototypes, (80s) automotive clay, CAD design, 3D printing (90s to date).

Interests past and present include, motorcycles, boats/boating, scuba, photography, welding, camping, firearms, art, Photoshop, Maya.

I am approaching retirement and I would like to drive around the US and Canada for a couple of years. While I am currently working, my line of work might require travel in the future. I want to be prepared for the opportunity when it arrives.

Kevin

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

We are seriously looking at an HDT ourselves. After getting beat up hauling a small trailer out to Sturgis, I can't imagine what I'd feel like hauling anything larger. So we're looking at something that can pull without problems, air-ride so we aren't bounced around like peas in a tin can, and something that expanded out a bit could haul extra motorcycles as well as the toy hauler in the future.

I heard there was a checklist around for looking at used HDTs, anyone have its location?

We are seriously looking at an HDT ourselves. After getting beat up hauling a small trailer out to Sturgis, I can't imagine what I'd feel like hauling anything larger. So we're looking at something that can pull without problems, air-ride so we aren't bounced around like peas in a tin can, and something that expanded out a bit could haul extra motorcycles as well as the toy hauler in the future.

I heard there was a checklist around for looking at used HDTs, anyone have its location?

While Gregg Shields owner of RVHauler in canada isn't the only place to buy an HTD you can have a look at what kind of work he does, I believe Jack Mayer bought a truck from him (you can ask Jack what he thinks) but Greggs web page is http://www.rvhaulers.ca

Edited by Steven an Daphne

• 2 weeks later...

I drive otr. Our company is currently trading in a boat load of Volvo 430's. One configuration is both tandems are drives, the other is forward drive rear tag. I noticed in the gallery some use short wheelbase and leave the frame extended for the hitch. My purpose is to have room for atv behind cab. What's best, keeping two drive axles? Or go single axle using the front drive, or single using rear drive?

I drive otr. Our company is currently trading in a boat load of Volvo 430's. One configuration is both tandems are drives, the other is forward drive rear tag. I noticed in the gallery some use short wheelbase and leave the frame extended for the hitch. My purpose is to have room for atv behind cab. What's best, keeping two drive axles? Or go single axle using the front drive, or single using rear drive?

Welcome to the forum Rod,

The tandem vs single discussion is usually based on weight. There are several here that are at or over the weight rating for a single rear axle.

For better answers, repost your question by itself in a new thread. It will be seen by more folks.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My purpose is to have room for atv behind cab. What's best, keeping two drive axles? Or go single axle using the front drive, or single using rear drive?

Welcome, Rod.

If you're certain that all you'll ever want to haul is an ATV and your fifth wheel, the 6 X 2 version would be an ideal setup, because it could easily handle what you're proposing to haul, and it's essentially "pre--singled". The rigs that are "marginal" that Jim alluded to, are trucks hauling a smart on board, often along with a large, jam-packed drom box, and a trailer with a lot of pin weight, that was singled by separating a tandem set, so its 20k axle is very near its limit.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Just joined the forum today although I've been an SKP member for a couple of years. Been watching the RV Haulers Youtube videos and really like the concept of a 5th wheel and HDT. Drove a Prevost and a 2011 Volvo 780 for work for a few years. Not hauling freight or passengers but that's a topic for another time. I'm wondering if it really makes sense to single an HDT. Seems like you're giving up a lot of capacity. Long term goal now that I'm retired is to put an office in a 5th wheel that my wife and I can run our new business from. She's ready to hit the road like yesterday so no obstacles there. I'm liking the idea of used on both units but I'm thinking it's going to be pretty tough to find an HDT that hasn't been smoked in. That is a show-stopper for my wife. We'll see how the search goes. Looking forward to learning a LOT here.

Welcome aboard cmipilot.

Try and make one of the Rallys sometime and you will be able to get a lot of differing opinions on how to set that truck up, based on what you want to do.

Hope to see you down the road someday.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I have been lurking for a couple years now. I had questions answererd and have learned gained a lot of knowledge. I own a 2004 freightliner, condo sleeper, freedomline 12spd automated. I made the decision to leave the 2 axles on rear. I purchased a 53ft horsetrailer 4wks ago and will take my 1st trip 10/8/16 to tennessee from Michigan. I will retire in 7yrs and snowbird with 2 hayburners

I have been lurking for a couple years now. I had questions answererd and have learned gained a lot of knowledge. I own a 2004 freightliner, condo sleeper, freedomline 12spd automated. I made the decision to leave the 2 axles on rear. I purchased a 53ft horsetrailer 4wks ago and will take my 1st trip 10/8/16 to tennessee from Michigan. I will retire in 7yrs and snowbird with 2 hayburners

Welcome to the Dark Side. Just be careful with that trailer, as most states only allow 45' for an RV.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, My wife Licia and I, have purchased a 2006 Volvo VNL 780, registered it in Florida as a  Motorhome and begun the process of adding a flat deck to the rear to carry my Jeep.   In Florida we are limited to bumper pull, so we have purchased a new to us 28 foot Coachman FREEDOM Express 280 RLS pull behind.  (emphasis on the Freedom:)

We look forward to this adventure and meeting others who have gone on before us.  I have had the very special privilege of talking to Mr. Henry, and e-mailing Miss Davena, if these folks are any indication on how the rest of the group treats new folks, I would say my wife and I have found a very special club.

Thank you,

Michael & Licia (pronounced Lish-Ahh) Parr

We will post up a photo or two once I get my IT team, I mean my Teenage son to shrink the pictures to the appropriate KB size.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Ok did not have to wake the sleeping teen.

Figured out the crop function worked well enough.

2006 Volvo VNL 780 D12 with Ultrashift.

Work station, 3k pure sine wave invertor, 3100k generator/invertor. 120v A/C.

Fridge, Microwave, coffee pot and 12v / A/C TV...

20170122_153320-1.jpg

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee