Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

We are no longer lurkers we are the proud owners of a 2007 VOLVO 780 with 10 speed 3 pedal automatic, fridge, inverter and a tri-pac apu. We will start on the build of our rear deck soon and hope to at least take a trip to the mountains next month even if our deck is not done. Picked it up in Portland OR and drove it home to Las Vegas and it ran like a champ. This is a great site and the HHRVRESOURCE site has endless info on people that are doing the same thing that most of us have been thinking about. I like knowing I am not the only "crazy" guy that wants a full size tractor to tow a trailer.

tana13 ...How about some pics ... and your plans for the bed ???? Welcome and good luck with your 780.....Jim

Jim&Hazel,03 Volvo 610,425hp,10sp Autoshift,Eaton 3:90 rear,24.5Alum,184"wb,ET jr/air hitch,SafVis Cams4,XM,Press/Pro,Garmin2720,CB,Rally Sport/TS,Bigfoot Levelers,03Roadking,02Dyna Lowrider,Golden Ret in spirit,Choc Lab(Trash)..Herrin Hauler Bed..Toyota FJ ...SKP# 95463 http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2901871210078354682lLxYIz .Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Introductions..

Well, here goes.. I spent 22 years in the military, then another 35 years running our small business. The wife was a super Army-wife, raised 2-kids, and ran the business when I was away. She's driven everything from VW's to 70-foot mobile homes.

We've been retired for about 4-years, and have had a motorhome, for many years. We winter in Yuma, but Camp-hosted in Moab, Utah, last Fall and this Spring, for the BLM. We're planning for an extended trip to the Yukon, NWT and Alaska next year.. off the beaten track! We felt that the motorhome wouldn't survive 10,000 miles of gravel roads, nor have the space for the 'extra' gear.. spares of everything.

So..

We found a primo used Alpenlite 29' 5er, worth the money (we wanted a short, tough one, for the Yukon trip), and a slightly used Trailer Saver air-ride hitch.. all of which we left in Yuma, while we were looking for a truck.

While we were Camp-hosting at Moab, we found a 2006 Freightliner Columbia w/sleeper, 460 Detroit, 640k, Ultrashift (2-pedal), 2-stage Jake, with a 240" wheelbase, air-ride, new rubber all the way around, at an outstanding price, from Bennett's Truck Source, in Salt Lake City. They really treated us more than fair, making many corrections and repairs, beyond what we expected. Did I mention that it already had Super-singles on the rear.. we love 'em. It also has 4-extra batteries, for the DC cab air conditioner, a 2500w inverter, and a Wabasco cab heater. It also has the Vorad, collision avoidance system. We think we've found the perfect truck.. and only had to drive about 200 miles to get it.

The DW drove the FL from Moab, back to Yuma, to pick-up the Alpenlite. We mounted the TS3, then she drove the FL and trailer home to Idaho, while I drove the Motorhome towing the Jeep. Now she LOVES it.. we'll probably never go back to a motorhome.. if we do it'll have to have a Jake! The FL paint color is Burgundy, and the DW says she's going to name it 'Ramblin' Rose'.

Tomorrow we're on our way to Iowa to pick up a used Ambulance with a 12' aluminum box, that we're going to mount onto the truck frame for a storage/shop/tool box. We're excited about finding the Ambulance, because it has lots of storage, an inverter, lights, outlets, great doors, and it's built like a battleship.. from 1/8" aluminum. It also has 6-relatively new tires, of the same size as our 5er.. lots of SPARES! It's Ford Power-Joke is toast, so we didn't pay a lot for the vehicle under the box.

Looks like I've got my work cut-out for me, this Summer, putting all this together. Will try to get it going, as we'd love to go to the HDT rally, as a maiden voyage! Hope to see you there.

I want to thank all who contribute to this Forum.. it has light-years worth of information and experience. We love the pictures!

Paul & Cathy

'Thorny and the Captain' (I'll let you guess whom is who)

Lewiston, Idaho

'06 FL Columbia, 515 Detroit, UltraShift (2-pedal), air-ride, super-singles. 'Ramblin' Rose'
12' Ambulance Box and Trailer Saver air-ride hitch. Remodeled Alpenlite 38' 5er. 2400w of Solar

Don't know where we're goin', yet..

..can't remember where we've been..

but we're havin' fun!

Very cool setup. I'm anxious to see it and some pictures. Hope you make the HDT Rally. You should really strive to do that - you wont regret it.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well, just wanted to say thanks for all the info and resources made available. Over the course of little over a year I have purchased a Freightliner (sorry volvo guys) and am slowly making changes. I have currently made three trips and am extremely happy with outcome. I still have a long way to go but my setup is functional and will only improve over time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. My name is Nick. My wife, Kari, and I are thinking of full-timing. The only problem is we're not even close to retiring. We're both 29. The good thing though, is that we do not have a house we're mortgaging so that will save some money.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that an HDT and large trailer is the way to go.

I hope to be meeting a few local members who will show my wife and I around their setups and answer any questions we may have.

Thanks, it is good to be here!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Found this great site a few weeks ago. What a great source of info. My wife and I still work and are 10 years or so away from an "Escapee" but looking forward to the day. Anyway we have recently upgraded to a Raptor 3912 toy hauler almost 42 ' long and much heavier than our previous bumper pull trailer. We both feel that the 1 ton dually is not quite up to the job. I hope that I dont act like to much of a newb and ask the same question thats been asked a 100 times already. We are talking about hitting the rally this fall. I am on about page 12 and i think around 80 or so thread pages. We own a company that does alum and steel fab work so I am already designing a bed even before I have a truck picked out. I would love to get a big power MDT crew cab but the $$ is going to be a issue. So we have pretty much decided on a HDT. No for the quest to find what we like, can afford and will work well. BTW any members need any quickie welds or fab stuff drop by if you need help. Hope I acan crontribute something to the forums as well. Steve

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire Sold

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite  8328

Welcome. As you've probably noticed, there are a couple of capable fabrication artists here, and they're always willing to offer some sage advise.

Some of us may be inclined to take you up on your offer for weld jobs, if you'd kindly include a location?;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Welcome. As you've probably noticed, there are a couple of capable fabrication artists here, and they're always willing to offer some sage advise.

Some of us may be inclined to take you up on your offer for weld jobs, if you'd kindly include a location?;)

Oops sorry We are in St. Louis You can email me at samrein@ufbfab.com

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire Sold

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite  8328

I guess i havent done an introduction...

Wife & I (mid to late 40s) - 3 teens (blended marriage) who are out of the house :lol: (if i have my way) by next summer :lol:

Oldest is in his 2nd year as a corp member at Va Tech (his Navy scholarship makes the coach a possibly - and an excuse for a tailgate part) !

We near Houston, Texas.

Im new to the HDT/Conversion Truck - but not new to diesels (83 MB 300CD & 04 F350)

Ive been watching this forum and asking questions for well over a year.

We prefer the styling of the Converted Truck (haulmark/renegade/showhauler/etc) over a pusher (i am of the opinion the TRUCKS are better built, safer, more powerful than a specialized or modified pusher/frame)

We recently purchased a <somewhat> renovated 04 Haulmark 42' single screw w/ the MBE4000 and 12speed Meritor Smart Shift (love that tranny)

OUR "coach" will afford us the room to go where we want, with our 95lb old english sheep dog - and HAUNT our kids !

Edited by BushPilot

Don R. - 2004 42ft Haulmark on a Freightliner Columbia Chassis - for a large Old English Sheep Dog

th_TexasRoadTrain.jpg

I've posted here maybe once but the more I read the more questions I have. We're a couple years out from putting together a rig. In a previous life I did full-timing for about three years in a new Country Coach motor home. Now as we contemplate returning to the RV world the "Dark Side" looks very good for all the reasons others have stated here. My ideal set up would be a Volvo 630 with a New Horizons Majestic. Now we'll wait and see how the finances play out. But here are my latest questions:

• Does it make sense to drop $30 to $50+k in a truck that one only uses a few times a year?
  • Would it make more sense to get a smaller and lighter 5er and pull with a PU which can also be used as a daily driver?
  • If we go with a Class 8 would a Smart Car be sufficient for a DD (I'm seeing some unsatisfactory customer comments on the Smart)?

It may be our biggest problem is too many choices and finally having to make a commitment! Meanwhile I love reading posts here and learning more almost every day. Thank you participants.

I've posted here maybe once but the more I read the more questions I have. We're a couple years out from putting together a rig. In a previous life I did full-timing for about three years in a new Country Coach motor home. Now as we contemplate returning to the RV world the "Dark Side" looks very good for all the reasons others have stated here. My ideal set up would be a Volvo 630 with a New Horizons Majestic. Now we'll wait and see how the finances play out. But here are my latest questions:

• Does it make sense to drop $30 to $50+k in a truck that one only uses a few times a year?
  • Would it make more sense to get a smaller and lighter 5er and pull with a PU which can also be used as a daily driver?
  • If we go with a Class 8 would a Smart Car be sufficient for a DD (I'm seeing some unsatisfactory customer comments on the Smart)?

It may be our biggest problem is too many choices and finally having to make a commitment! Meanwhile I love reading posts here and learning more almost every day. Thank you participants.

NONE of this makes sense....travel trailers dont even makes sense really....you can fly / rent a car & hotel for a lot less than youll ever spend on this stuff...and the camper sits just as much as the truck.

Theres all kinds of ways to justify this stuff....safety, comfort...hell some people spend MORE in a lake or SKI house and only get to it once or twice a year - ive got a <rolling> lake, beach, mountain/ski home

when NEW (2011 f350) pickup trucks STICKER for $70k (and dont get much more than 12-15mpg) its EASY to justify the class 8

Edited by BushPilot

Don R. - 2004 42ft Haulmark on a Freightliner Columbia Chassis - for a large Old English Sheep Dog

th_TexasRoadTrain.jpg

I see having the Volvo no different than purchasing a Class A as far as sitting around.

I am on the lighter side of most the 5ers here @ 16k#. But I feel it really takes a Class 4 or 5 truck for that weight and I did not want a Class 4 or 5 for a daily driver. So if I purchased one it would just sit in the driveway (just like the Volvo) except for when we use it to pull the trailer. I also have less cash in the Volvo & Jeep than I would a new pickup.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

RVGene, if you are considering something like a NH Majestic then your choice is an F450, and MDT or an HDT. The answer is pretty obvious if you want to haul toys or a car.

As to the Smart, you will always find people bashing anything. The Smart is perfect as a piggyback companion for an HDT.

There is no free ride in any of this. If you want to play, you pay.

Edited by Jack Mayer

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack, did you really say F450 :blink::unsure:

I did. You can certainly pull a small Majestic with an F450. It would not be my first choice, but it is a capable truck with the right load behind it. I had zero complaints about my F550 pulling 16K. It pulled it well and stopped it well.

IMO, you don't want to be pulling what Ford says you can. But on smaller loads they will work, if someone insists.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 1 month later...

Hello all:

I am new here, and look forward to learning much and perhaps even making some friends.

I am about a year and a half into a conversion to a motorhome of a 2003 Peterbilt 379 highway tractor with 63" sleeper. So far I have removed the fifth wheel, dropped the front driver, extended the frame six feet; installed a 16' new Morgan dry box, added three large toolboxes under the box, and modified a 130 gallon Peterbilt fuel tank into a split to hold fresh and gray waer. It also is mounted on the frame rail behind the driver side fuel tank. The truck has a 550 hp C-15 Cat, 18 speed Fuller trans, and a 3.55 rear end.

I am happy with the project so far; but I really enjoy driving it!

Highway OPie

Grand Rapids, MI

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new and this past year I've been looking at a new truck for towing the TH. For now - I'm way over the capability of the p/u I tow with but at the time it was truck or TH, not both. So far we've stayed pretty close to home but recently we've been looking at new pickups.

The part that made me feel dumb about coming here is that as a former driver I wonder why I had not ever considered an HDT. So now we've changed goals and fortunately soon enough.

In starting to research I've found that my local county is not willing to even consider an HDT as an MH period and they want the outrageous license fees, even when I explained the use - stole some of your pictures for display and said I wanted to spend registration money near home. They are not interested so i figure the eventual plan will be Montana.

Couple of thoughts/questions. How hard can it really be as I noted in one post to deal with an RV that is owned by a company? I read it's real tough in Canada and some states. Why would this be any different than say driving a rental from some rv rental place?

When it comes to getting stuck - I seem to be a master - has anyone considered a truck mounted winch. One brand MileMarker will run off the hydraulics of the PS. We like to dry camp off in the Nat'l Forest often and I've been stuck bad twice. Fortunately both times it was easy to get someone to winch me out.

We won't be full timers just look forward to be often timers for the foreseeable future. Thanks for all the ideas and posts!

WYnWest It appears as if you are in Wyoming and I don't know if there are any others in Wyoming that might be able to help. It is not unusual for some local county employees to deny MH registration and not understand variances to the requirements. I am not familiar with Wyoming but here in Colorado we can just register the HDT as recreational but the local jurisdiction did not understand the requirements and I had to ask for the supervisor who had to call someone else to finally get my registration. Maybe someone else has Wyoming information that might help. As far as Montana registration some states have started to check for out of state registrations and the fine if caught can be steep. The Montana registration formula is known by many enforcement people and with State budget shortages it is an obvious place to check for additional revenue. Colorado has been actively looking for these registrations and I have heard stories about California also. If you have established residence in Wyoming this could be a problem for you if caught.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Randy,

All the things you mention are things I'm going to thinking over carefully as I look to register a MH, and yes - Wyoming. The county controls vehicle registration here and it's a circus. First you go to titling department and they title the vehicle - then you go to licencing and they sell the tags. Licencing decides what tags/application they are going to sell you, but they won't make a decision until titling has done their part. Ttitling won't budge - their opinion is that it was built as a tractor - it's always a tractor. Licensing says that if it's a tractor it's commercial.

If that isn't bad enough the fees are based on the original MSRP and decline by 6% per year. A co-worker pays $2400 annually right now for his class A MH. If If I based my registration on a 5 yr old HDT, I'm not sure I want to know their fee. MY 5'er is an '07 TH and it was $580 for this year's tags.

When you say states are checking for out of state registration I'm guessing you mean that my residence state is checking to see that my MH wouldn't be domiciled at home yet registered in Montana. I can't imagine it making a difference to Colorado or NM or AZ if I live in WY and drive a vehicle from MT. The answer to that is simply to domicile the RV out of state in order to comply with the registration requirements.

It would be a LOT easier to register in my local county and I do have the county treasurer's # to call and contact as I get closer to a full on project. The funny thing is - the neighboring county has a person that operates an old HDT as a personal vehicle - but that county says that if you don't live in the county - they can't register your vehicle.

There are plenty of ways to work this out. I just haven't found which one I'd use yet.

Thanks for your input.

The law is established by the STATE, unless WY is a lot different than every other state. The county people may TRY to interpret it in the way they want, but if the law is written to allow an HDT to be registered/titled as a MH under certain conditions, and you meet those conditions, then the county can not legally deny you. And the state likely will not allow them to. Of course, that assumes that such a registration capability exists. You will have to research the issue and see. Don't talk topeople until you know the laws - which should be all online.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 1 month later...

After lurking here for many months we thought we should introduce ourselves.

We have been full timers for several years and traveling together for the last three years. Last year we decided we needed a larger trailer with more storage space for our STUFF. Naturally we will need a bigger truck for the trailer. After visiting with Davena and Henry at last years Escapade we started to investigate HDT's. Last winter while looking at parks in South Texas we met Danielle and Jack. Since then we have been actively researching trailers and HDT's. We sent in our registration for the rally in Hutchinson last spring!

We leave Tuesday for Junction City and then on to Hutchinson with our list of questions. Look forward to meeting everyone and soaking up as much wisdom as possible.

Edited by Hither'N'Yon

Sue and Bob Guthrie

Fulltimers Traveling Hither 'n' Yon

2008 Volvo VN670 485 HP iShift

2012 New Horizons Majestic 41ft

2012 Smart for Two Passion Coupe

Bob and Sue We are at New Horizons right now and all this week. Will we be seeing you?

www.jackdanmayer.com