Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Hello. This is a great forum . I have been lurking for about six months! I basically have decided to finish a project I started in 1992 !

I have owned a number of class 8 trucks and class A diesel pushers. One of my brother in laws is in the auto racing field and has managed a number of sports car teams over the years. Back in the 80's we were at daytona standing on the roof of a Newell coach to get a better view of the road race and I thought how silly it was to be on the roof and not in the ac. I thought a double decker bus would be the obvious answer with full ac up and down. So in 1990 I bought a 1967 Bristol FLF Lodekka bus from the city of St Petersberg Fl. This bus was sold to them by a broker that refurbished them for the US. One thing they did was move the door to the right side of the bus so you would not get off on the traffic side! The lodekka is special because it is only 13ft 5.5inches tall a foot shorter than a regular double decker bus and one of the only models that is legal height in the US . That is why the top of most double deckers in the US are cut off. I drove it to Daytona one time and realized that 49 mph was not going to cut it! I spent about a year looking at different engine transmission options but ultimeately decided on a drastic solution to speed dependability and handling. I got out the old autosketch program and designed a modification to a fifth wheel trailer ! Thats right I took out the engine, radiator , cab ,front axle etc etc. I sold all these back to the importer. I have this great shop that builds custom heavy duty trucks among other things. They took my plans and shop-drew real parts to make a semi trailer out of the double decker bus. When I started this in 1995 there was no air ride hitch available so I used a single axle freightliner columbia. That was in 2003. So now I have decided to resurrect and restore and finish this project based on all the new stuff thats available. I have a 2006 780. I will use bludot air over hydraulic brakes,and an et hitch. We started the project back up in Nov after a ten year vacation!! Thank you for all the info so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All,

I guess I am a "Lurker".. I have been living in RV's off and on since 1985. I hauled a 30' Coachmen trailer all over the country when I had a job

that took me all over. In 15 years of working on the road, I wore out the Coachmen trailer, and a 40' Trailseeker made by Holiday Rambler. When

it came time to settle in one spot, and get off the road and get a regular job, I swore to myself I would NEVER get in another RV trailer again! LOL

Now I am retired, and my last RV was a 30' bunkhouse Springdale that I used when living on location in the Texas and LA oil/gas patch. I had a crew

that I supervised, and got paid to use my trailer. A great job, and wonderful deal. When I retired, I still had the trailer, and the wife and I started to use

it for travel. She loves it! So we got rid of the oilfield motel, and bought another, nicer trailer, with slides, and even though it isn't very long, 30 ft, it is

very comfortable for us and our dog. What I didn't mention above, in the 15 yrs of travel, I wore out the 2 trailers, and 8 gas tow vehicles.. Yes, 8!

Towing even a 6000# to 8000# trailer is tough on a pick up, or van. Automatic transmissions in the 80's & 90's were tough to keep together when towing. Brakes

would wear more than normal, and it was a constant battle to keep the trucks together. The best truck I had was an older (1978) 1 ton Chevy 2wd, that had a

454, and the SM-465 Granny low standard transmission. This was a SRW truck. I bought this one used in Odessa, TX and it proved to be my best hauler.

Currently we are using a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, and it works fine. The quality of the truck is very good. We have the smaller 4.7 V8 motor, and we

get about 10 mpg. It is getting up in miles and will soon be time to move on. We have looked at new Dodge Dually's, 3/4 tons, and even a RAM 1500 with

the Hemi. For what you get, the cost is too high. So we have started to look into getting a HDT. From what I have seen so far, I am 99% sure we are going

to go with a HDT.. Which brings me to current career of "Lurking About" forums such as this one, and HDT ads.

We ran into a couple at a rest area in TN when we were coming home to TX from a trip to PA. They had a nice Volvo rig, and we got to talk a little bit. Since then

we have been able to get in contact with each other, and I have learned a lot about changing over to a HDT as a tow rig.

I have a Class A CDL, and have driven big trucks since I was 22. It started where I drove a dump truck on weekends as a second job. It never was a main job for me, but

I have logged a lot of miles through the years. Driving and shifting isn't an issue for me. Buying and Owning a HDT is new to me. Since I was just a driver in the past,

the complexities of owning a big rig was not info I was privy to.

Very Long story short. I am here to learn as much as I can about HDT ownership, picking out the right truck, finding the right places to get the modifications I want done, and

getting all this done without breaking the bank.

I want to have a 20 ft garage on the back of my HDT, where I can haul my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, a freezer, a washer and dryer, and tools. Sporting equipment, and even a

boat with motor. My RC airplanes, and other various toys. My wife's art supplies, sewing machine area, etc. Gradually we are getting the design put together, and hopefully will

be able to find a well taken care of truck at a good price.

When I drove trucks, we had a couple of Volvo's, and they were the best ride. I am hoping to go with a Volvo.

Ok, well I introduced myself! LOL This is why I am lurking here!

Scott

new to group. my husband and i are looking at a volvo in houston . we plan to rebuild the motor and have it converted to a single axle. this and a open range camper later to buy is our retirement plan. see the sights,lay back and relax. but for now work work work.

we are gonna have fun fun in the sun! later

Hi all! I've been lurking here on and off for a while now. I retired in 2011 and, am still looking to upgrade from a 17' travel trailer to either a HDT + 5th wheel or, a Class A DP for the extended traveling I plan to do. A DP would require a toad. The HDT could be done with a Smart car. The number of DPs available is staggering. My lack of knowledge re: HDTs is substantial. Due to a prior commitment, I was unable to attend the Heavy Hauler Rally last October. I though there was another scheduled for sometime this spring but, I'm having trouble locating the specifics. Am I having a premature senior moment in my recollection? If I am remembering correctly, can a kind forum member post a link to this spring's rally? Thank you!

John Koenig

jkoenig24@gmail.com

Flyguy, the most recent thread on this is found at http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=108536

Remember the resource guide is always a good reference for Rally Info as well. You may want to build a shortcut for the resource guide.

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Hi FlyGuy, I am new here also but www.hdtrally.com may help you.

Also give Gregg a visit at rvhaulers.ca if you want info on HDT and Smart car beds!

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

Flyguy, The Rally in the spring is held in Crossville TN at the beginning of April. We are hoping to attend, just depends on if the snow has melted enough to get the trailer out. We were at the Rally in October and you missed a good one. Lots of HDT's and smart cars running around.

The resource guide can be overwhelming at first, but just take it a little bit at a time. There is also now a FAQ document in one of the stickies at the top of the HDT forum.

Welcome to you, Piedmontexpress, 67jeep, & rvving.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We have been around for a couple of years and also when to the HDT rally in KS in 2012 as we are full timers don't post much. Hope to get back to the Rally, meet some nice folks and now have our own HDT with Smart Car. We love it and hope to see you all down the road......... Jim& Norma

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Lurking to try and piece together my plan.

Intend to get into full timing in the not too distant future, spending 3-6 months in a place at a time, move with the season, the mood or work. Plan on doing camp work or whatever I can find that is interesting and fun and ZERO stress. I need a lifestyle change and think I am ready for it.

Plan 1 was a toy hauler (motorcycles) for the extra room and pull it with a 350 4wd dually to be used as work truck/grocery getter when weather or need wouldn't allow bike riding.

Plan 1.1 became something bigger when I learned that a 350 (3500) what have you, simply ain't enough truck for a good sized 5th wheel.

So, now, I am trying to evaluate MDT v HDT and having a stout enough garage (New Horizons says they can do it, easy) to carry a jeep or similar as 'the car' and put the bikes on the truck as per the smart car's I have seen.

I don't want fancy. Just durable and reliable. Plan on boondocking at times which was part of the reason for a 350/dually 4wd pick up but, again, unless I seriously down size, that does not sound like it is remotely feasible.

In any event, hello all and trying to read y'alls every word!

You are not going very far offroad with a large New Horizons toyhauler...one large enough to carry a new Jeep. So do not expect to boondock way out in the desert because if the ground is at all rough, you are not going there. Also, make sure whoever you are working with at New Horizons knows the REAL weight of the Jeep you intend. It will be in excess of 4500lbs. Probably more like 5500 if it is a new 4-door set up for offroad.

Edited by Jack Mayer

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You are not going very far offroad with a large New Horizons toyhauler...one large enough to carry a new Jeep. So do not expect to boondock way out in the desert because if the ground is at all rough, you are not going there. Also, make sure whoever you are working with at New Horizons knows the REAL weight of the Jeep you intend. It will be in excess of 4500lbs. Probably more like 5500 if it is a new 4-door set up for offroad.

Thanks.

What might I consider the limit, trailer wise, for toy hauler boon docking in a non jeep mother ship model? This is my dilemma; I KNOW I wanna do some boon docking, good sized garage (12 foot+) but, maybe that's just not realistic with a 4wd dually pick up?

The Jeep would not be a 4 door nor new. From some Jeep forums, I got 4,000# as a decent ball park for a basic rag top jeep with moderate size tires and not outfitted for Mad Max.

Thanks! (love your site, by the way. TONS of good info!)

My Jeep was a TJ with hardtop and 33" tires and typical complete offroad armor. And with all the recovery gear you need. It was 4500 lbs. Very doable in a toyhauler if you can get the 14+ length.

You "could" pull such a toyhauler with the NEW 2015 F4500 or maybe even the 350 since they will have such high ratings. I'm not sure I'd be real comfortable with that, though...but it would be legal (probably).

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

A nice HDT is going to be a lot less money than an MDT and I just don't think you are going to get any fiver on a 4x4 MDT I've seen unless you are willing to shave a couple feet off the bedroom height. Dig into the IH numbers and get a good idea of frame rail heights, even with a fully recessed hitch and no truck bed you do not want less than 6" between frame rails and gooseneck bottom for street use. Off level pavement I can tell you from learning the hard way 8" IS NOT enough, crinked my pickup bed and fiver just making a U-turn on a slope that the 2wd truck had no issues with.

On off-road use with the trailer you will be surprised at the amount of drag six wheels carrying 15,000 plus has when the soil turns soft. We had an MDT and two pickups harnessed together to snake out a much lighter two axle fiver from the flat but soft desert outside Q. I watched some folks dig a 10x15 foot hole two to three feet deep on a hillside once, it was tougher than you'd think because all but the outside edge was under their rig holding the wheels off the ground. Took them a few days but they seemed to have gotten it off, the tracks went from the pit directly to the closest road. Measure your front and rear fiver ground clearance and calculate your approach angles very carefully as repairs once you have dug out are expensive and fiver bellies are very vulnerable.

Personally I'd scout a route to a campsite in something smaller but heavy enough to give you an idea of the ground's weight bearing ability, pay particular attention to getting turned around, more than one driver has gotten into a spot that getting back out of was very difficult. Another issue is rain, it isn't uncommon to find your dry spot under the fiver and truck are the only places that will support their weight, stay parked until it dries out or with for it to dry and then start digging. Think about the size hole you'll need under the fiver to get it back to firm ground and out of the truck's ruts.

I haven't driven a modern 4x4 MDT but on an older generation the rear drive ones were much easier on the spine and arms, you might want to check that out too. Make sure to throw in some low speed sharp turns going forward and back as well as normal street driving.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Welcome to both eddiedjr and Larry Gude. Glad you stopped in.

Pull up a chair and we'll throw more info at you than you can absorb. Some of it might even be useful. :D

Larry, take the truck on days that are too nasty for the bikes. What type of bike(s)?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

A nice HDT is going to be a lot less money than an MDT and I just don't think you are going to get any fiver on a 4x4 MDT I've seen unless you are willing to shave a couple feet off the bedroom height. Dig into the IH numbers and get a good idea of frame rail heights, even with a fully recessed hitch and no truck bed you do not want less than 6" between frame rails and gooseneck bottom for street use. Off level pavement I can tell you from learning the hard way 8" IS NOT enough, crinked my pickup bed and fiver just making a U-turn on a slope that the 2wd truck had no issues with.

On off-road use with the trailer you will be surprised at the amount of drag six wheels carrying 15,000 plus has when the soil turns soft. We had an MDT and two pickups harnessed together to snake out a much lighter two axle fiver from the flat but soft desert outside Q. I watched some folks dig a 10x15 foot hole two to three feet deep on a hillside once, it was tougher than you'd think because all but the outside edge was under their rig holding the wheels off the ground. Took them a few days but they seemed to have gotten it off, the tracks went from the pit directly to the closest road. Measure your front and rear fiver ground clearance and calculate your approach angles very carefully as repairs once you have dug out are expensive and fiver bellies are very vulnerable.

Personally I'd scout a route to a campsite in something smaller but heavy enough to give you an idea of the ground's weight bearing ability, pay particular attention to getting turned around, more than one driver has gotten into a spot that getting back out of was very difficult. Another issue is rain, it isn't uncommon to find your dry spot under the fiver and truck are the only places that will support their weight, stay parked until it dries out or with for it to dry and then start digging. Think about the size hole you'll need under the fiver to get it back to firm ground and out of the truck's ruts.

I haven't driven a modern 4x4 MDT but on an older generation the rear drive ones were much easier on the spine and arms, you might want to check that out too. Make sure to throw in some low speed sharp turns going forward and back as well as normal street driving.

Good lord! So, basically, I need to hire you as my project manager.

Welcome to both eddiedjr and Larry Gude. Glad you stopped in.

Pull up a chair and we'll throw more info at you than you can absorb. Some of it might even be useful. :D

Larry, take the truck on days that are too nasty for the bikes. What type of bike(s)?

Street and dirt.

Presuming on off sight gig, I'd absolutely ride as much as possible to and from. Heck, I even grocery shop now, as much as is practical, with the big bike. Dog food days, not so much. LOL

And that's the thing; Mr. Mayer's site says they use their HDT (IIRC) for a daily driver and I have no real problem with that as long as my mind isn't wondering and I head into a drive through. But, a dually seems like much more practical assuming a pick up bed.

Which leads to my next question; for a larger 5th, is a pick up bed not the done thing?

Thanks for the welcome! I just got news today that may well put me on the road within a year so, I intend to be a pest!

Unless there is a clearance issue between the bed and fiver there is no reason to avoid a pickup bed if one is available on the truck you want.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The larger the HDT (lengthwise) the less useful it is as a daily driver. ANYTHING can be done, but it becomes more annoying as you approach 30'. That is why my Volvo 610 was built as short as it was. I could carry ONE motorcylce on it, but nothing else. It was designed that way on purpose, and it turned well within an F350 dually. I would not do that today. Today, any truck I built would be able to carry a smart. Even if you have no intention of using a smart, resale will be much better. The current smart requires 70" of deck space. The new one will require 75", assuming the rumors on its size are true.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The larger the HDT (lengthwise) the less useful it is as a daily driver. ANYTHING can be done, but it becomes more annoying as you approach 30'. That is why my Volvo 610 was built as short as it was. I could carry ONE motorcylce on it, but nothing else. It was designed that way on purpose, and it turned well within an F350 dually. I would not do that today. Today, any truck I built would be able to carry a smart. Even if you have no intention of using a smart, resale will be much better. The current smart requires 70" of deck space. The new one will require 75", assuming the rumors on its size are true.

I thought about the jeep crosswise on the truck, as per the smart but, obviously, at 12 plus feet, that ain't gonna fly. Thus, the heavy duty garage as, per your comments on your site, I don't wanna tow double.

So, the issue at present; a dually p/u, daily driver, smaller (much smaller?) coach or the HDT, mega garage and put the bikes on the truck where the smart car would go.

Taking several bikes AND a Jeep is always going to be problematic. With a truck/trailer you have to tow doubles or you have to be overlength - assuming you want a reasonable living space. I'd rather be overlength given the two options.

Another consideration is a DP towing an enclosed trailer with your "stuff". You may still be overlength, though, depending on the DP. OR, make that DP a truck conversion and tow a trailer. A stacker trailer may make you a bit shorter if the bikes will load above the Jeep.

www.jackdanmayer.com