Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Jack,

We are in Fort worth. Depending on when we can get away we will be there Tuesday evening or Wednesday. Looking forward to visiting the NH plant.

Sue and Bob Guthrie

Fulltimers Traveling Hither 'n' Yon

2008 Volvo VN670 485 HP iShift

2012 New Horizons Majestic 41ft

2012 Smart for Two Passion Coupe

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Hey Guys -- I am new to the forums and to the thought of HDT's for a TV. I am 2 years out from being on the road full time so I am trying to read a lot and learn quickly. Am I correct understanding the thought that anything over 16k needs more than a duelly 1 ton? To show you how "new" I am -- I had never thought about being pushed into an intersection trying to stop for a light. That thought impresssed me to look carefully at HDT's. You have also impressed upon me to skip over MDT's as a $ saver and for the happiness quotient. Thanks for the information you put out and the patience you have for "new" guys.

Randy

Hello all:

I am new here, and look forward to learning much and perhaps even making some friends.

I am about a year and a half into a conversion to a motorhome of a 2003 Peterbilt 379 highway tractor with 63" sleeper. So far I have removed the fifth wheel, dropped the front driver, extended the frame six feet; installed a 16' new Morgan dry box, added three large toolboxes under the box, and modified a 130 gallon Peterbilt fuel tank into a split to hold fresh and gray waer. It also is mounted on the frame rail behind the driver side fuel tank. The truck has a 550 hp C-15 Cat, 18 speed Fuller trans, and a 3.55 rear end.

I am happy with the project so far; but I really enjoy driving it!

Highway OPie

Grand Rapids, MI

Just noticed this post. Are you still here? Do you have any photographs of your conversion? Thanks!

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

new guy, lurked my way over looking for examples of stubby hauler beds. im 32 with wife and baby girl, working like a dog to move my family and fab/machine shop from massachusetts to east tennessee. ive got about a 3yr deadline to escape and have finally accepted that my cummins ram will be absolutely destroyed after hauling my million pounds of iron down there, and that its the wrong tool for the job. considered MDTs, then commercial registered HDT and was turned away by the insane expense. im searching for the right class 8 to toterhome and tag as RV for the initial move, and seeing the country with our surfboards and rockcrawlers thereafter. looking forward to the journey ahead. thanks for having me.

new guy, lurked my way over looking for examples of stubby hauler beds. im 32 with wife and baby girl, working like a dog to move my family and fab/machine shop from massachusetts to east tennessee. ive got about a 3yr deadline to escape and have finally accepted that my cummins ram will be absolutely destroyed after hauling my million pounds of iron down there, and that its the wrong tool for the job. considered MDTs, then commercial registered HDT and was turned away by the insane expense. im searching for the right class 8 to toterhome and tag as RV for the initial move, and seeing the country with our surfboards and rockcrawlers thereafter. looking forward to the journey ahead. thanks for having me.

You know, there are trucking companies that will move you're shop for you. I was one of 18 53' trailer loads last year on an Industrial move. We moved an Aerospace fabricator from Southern California to Oregon over a 3 day weekend. They barely interrupted their production schedule. There were several low boys and cranes involved as well plus lots of planning and coordination.

Jeffrey

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy All,

Lurker no longer.

Been RV'ing about 10 years, 31' Cougar for about 5, just upgraded to a much larger and heavier 5'er and am looking at the HDT threads and discussions. I would love to make the jump but I live and work in California so all the CARB rulings etc are scaring me more than a little. Are there DP aftermarket systems available for older trucks or is that wishful thinking? I really don't want to drop the bucks on a 2010 or newer Volvo. I will read thru all I can, but since you asked me to intro there you go.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

This is my maiden post, although I've been lurking and gleaning great info from this site for nearly two years. I'm starting to feel really guilty. My name is Ed and I live in the coalfields of Western Kentucky. I'm the proud owner of a 99 Volvo model 610 named "Petunia". She has the Cummins M-11 with a 10 spd tranny. We are "horse-campers"(hence the name OldFlySwatter) and use her to pull our 36' Four-Star aluminum horse trailer with built in living quarters, which when fully loaded pushes nearly 17K lbs. "Petunia" handles it like its almost not back there. She pulls it great and stops it even better. We feel soooo much safer than when we pulled it with the ol'dodge.

Please allow me to say a big THANKS to all the members here that give so much of their time to make this site such a treasure trove of info for HDT owners (and wannabe HDT owners). I grew old here in the coalfields being a part-time relief driver for several trucking companies in the area that specialize in hauling coal with the Heavy Hauler rigs. I had the driving experience but hadn't ever owned an HDT. This site gave me the confidence to take the plunge and buy my own. It was this site that led me to try a Volvo. I fell in love.... I didn't know an HDT could ride and drive this gooooood. I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy if at all possible and this site has held my hand and guided me through many repairs and maintanance issues. I will try to be more of a team player in the future and try to help other members in any way I can.

Look forward to meeting all of you in the future,

Ed

Calmax, William, and Ed, welcome to the forums, got questions plenty of answers here.

Ed, great decision on the BIG truck, might as well have enough truck so you don't have to worry about anything. We're kind of in your neck of the woods till second week of Sept. ( Just south of Huntington )

<p>Greg and AggieLife is what happens when you're making plans to do something else !

2010 Jeep Wrangler toad

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360

Welcome, Ed! I look forward to hearing more from you as I'm a newbie myself, only 5 months into owning our Volvo.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

• 3 weeks later...

I started lurking to see what info I could gather on buying and setting up my first HDT. Well, yesterday, I bought a 2005 Freightliner with a Detroit Series 60 455 HP with 730K miles. It has a 62" condo.

There are some great posts that I have read and a lot more to read.

My shop is big enough to put the FL in. I am a hobby machinest/welder and have the right stuff to do this project.

I look forward t0 gaining more insight into my project and plan to make some input along the way.

Retired US Navy Warrant Officer/Electroinics Tech

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Well, I have been a lurker for several months. My daughter and I will be traveling together (widowed and daughter is mildly mentally handicapped). I have been a camping nut all my life. I have progressed from tents to large TT with 1 5er thrown in. I love all aspects of seeing more of our great country, sitting before a campfire at night with a good cup of coffee enjoying God's handiwork. I sold my TT after my wife died because it was such a bittersweet reminder, but am ready to go again.

I intend to buy a New Horizons 5er modified the way I want it and after lurking here I realize I will need an HDT to safely tow it. I have been seriously considering a Volvo because of ride and handling. I am speaking as if I know what I am talking about, but I am really as green as a Granny Smith Apple. My brothers have been OTR drivers and I was the family nerd. My brothers all have MH, but i am not interested in one. I wish to continue on the path my DW (I asssume that means 'Dear Wife'. Please correct me if I am wrong.) I will be asking a lot of you questions that may seem dumb, I want to absorb as much as I can before I plunk down my pennies (very large bag) for an HDT and a NH 5er.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Victor Works

I am RETIRED. If I am too Slow, Pardon Me, and go around.

Victor, first, welcome to the HDT forum. Next, you might want to attend the HDT Rally if at all possible. You will find it very helpful.

Lastly, take a look at my website if you have not - I have lots of New Horizons info on it. If you have questions on a NH I'd be happy to help you.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 1 month later...

long time lurker gleaning all of the great information from this site as well as others.

I recently purchased a 92 freightliner fld120 N14, 10spd and got lucky on a few craigslist finds to help in the conversion
keep posting all of the usefull info!!

Thanks
cjc

post-28109-0-95036100-1371003526_thumb.jpg

Edited by cjc91

1992 Freightliner FLD, N14 10SPD converted sleeper to captains chairs for the kids.

2012 raptor TT

long time lurker gleaning all of the great information from this site as well as others.

I recently purchased a 92 freightliner fld120 N14, 10spd and got lucky on a few craigslist finds to help in the conversion

keep posting all of the usefull info!!

Thanks

cjc

Excellent---we love pictures! And welcome!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I registered in 2011 after years of lurking. First found the forum some time back in 2005 gathering info about hooking up trailer brakes/lights to my Volvo 770. That's pretty much the only reason I go on any website. Since '05, Kathy and I have been from the Keys to Fairbanks, AK. We're on our 2nd 5th wheel, currently a KZ Inferno bought in 08. The truck is a 1998 model, with the 500 hp. Detroit and 13 spd. Our other car is an 05 Liberty which the wife follows me around the country in. One day we hope to get a custom trailer built on an air ride 48 foot commercial trailer. After that, we'll have the carry capacity to haul the Jeep or whatever we have then.

I'm pretty much unhappy with all the campers. They're built so light weight they have no haul capacity to speak of and all the utilities and appliances are like toy stuff-except for the price. Our intent is to use regular household appliances in the next (last) trailer and pull into Sears when something goes bad.

Steve & Kathy Willis

& Kiska the wonder dog

Edited by scwillis

• 1 month later...

Hello all: We (my wife, Jenney, and me, Dave) are new to the HDT world as of Nov and are trying to join in the fun.

Started following these forums and will say Jen and I have been encouraged and educated by the great topics of

interest to us all, esp here. So many of the questions about making things usable have been addressed and

helped me try to be ready to do a 6000 mi trip to Q and back., hopefully without disastrous event. Here is a picture

of the rig as I got it the day my HR Presidential was delivered. Still had the commerical fifth wheel, a title that said

"semi tractor", and all those goodies not needed anymore.

Truck%2520and%2520trailer.jpg

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

post-28680-0-61111600-1356193647_thumb.jpgpost-28680-0-77084900-1356193615_thumb.jpgThis summer I purchased this 1984 International eagle, 32' cabover. Its previous life was as a crew vehicle and towed a stacker race car trailer. I had not been looking for long and was relatively uneducated, but it has turned out to be absolutely perfect for me. We tow a flat trailer with both of our FJ40 landcruisers to offroad events. The kids can hang out in from or back and it is great on the road.

I am replacing the airbags on the rear as one (1984 original) finally failed.post-28680-0-43694900-1356193599_thumb.jpg

That Eagle is sweet. Got some more pics? Especially of the interior. Got a photo album on Picasa or someplace like that? Just post a link to it!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 months later...

Just starting to think about moving from my F-120 diesel to an HDT in a few years. Have some questions that may be answered in this forum.

2005 F-250 6.0 Liter Diesel

2007 Coachmen Wyoming 325 RLTS

2 Shih Tzu's - Squirt (Mom), BeBe (Baby)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. My wife and I are seriously considering a powerhouse coach as our full-time rig.

52' seems long, does anyone have experience driving a rig that size? I assume by the wheelbase it drives like a cross-country bus, but just want to be sure. For me, a class 8 frame is perfect for the longevity and sheer power we want. We also plan on pulling a enclosed trailer with the Camry, his & Hers Ultra-classics, atv(s) and assorted stuff. I could probably get away with a 45' class A, but I want some longevity, and always believed in overbuilding something, than ending up real close to or under-built

Any information anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jess & Christine