Another Google Maps adventure!! Pretty funny reading.

Vladimir

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/google-maps-leads-californians-i-15-desert-18509727.php

The part I liked was telling 911 that they didn't know where they were, while holding a cell phone in their hand during the conversation.  Surprised, that 911 did not tell them how to access lat and long on their phones.

We are doomed as a socity.

Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I have been out in the desert and had the GPS unit say this way, and I said I don't think so. 

I do have a forester friend that refuses to get a stand alone GPS unit relying on his phone instead.  He has lived in a city for so long that he keeps forgetting their is not cell service everywhere.   Last time we were out hunting together.  The GPS unit was wrong, Google maps were wrong.  As well as the county paper maps.

One problem is that the data layers come mostly from county records.  In Washington state, the counties get road monies from the state based on miles of county roads.  I have run into some "great" county roads that just crossed wheat fields.

It is amazing how many people cannot read a paper map.  I was running out of gas, when my friend suggested we take a short-cut.  I kept following him, until my comfort level reached uncomfortable.

Then stopped the caravan and pulled out my Forest Service map and located us on the map.  It was then he asked "showed me how you figured that". 

He worked as a urban fireman and spent a lot of time outdoors.  Never did learn to read a map!!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

We were on a freeway in a new to us city. I knew our exit was coming up but Dave was driving in the left lane. When I asked why he said it felt like a left exit to him. He was right. He got that feeling from studying a paper map.

I was driving though Kansas City when my GPS shut down. Fortunately, I had been that way before so knew what to do. Apparently, my GPS overheated from the sun shining through my windshield. It happened to me again the next year driving the same route heading south from Minnesota to Texas.

But the absolute worst was when our GPS told us to turn down what was apparently an off-road place in the mountains. Dave drove us over a lot of loose shale before we got off that road safely. Sure glad he was driving.

We once bought house in a new neighborhood. It took two years for our street to show up on our GPS.

So, yes, check your GPS but don't place all of your trust in it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you're on the US interstate system, the signage for a particular exit should be placed above and to the side of the sign to which you'll exit.  BUT, I know of some places (Louisville, KY) where that's not true.

Last summer, my child bride took most of the grandkids on a road trip from Cincinnati to Colorado.  When she got in the car with a beat up atlas, they made fun of her for being old fashioned.  They are now converts.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Don't blame others or the system. We have all become addicted to technology. Many folks simply haven't learnt to think for themselves. It's not a new trend. IQ has been around since Adam and Eve. Schools are adverse to teaching critical thinking or simple logic.

Anyone wanting proof of the decline of IQ only has to look at our politicians!

2 hours ago, bruce t said:

Don't blame others or the system. We have all become addicted to technology. Many folks simply haven't learnt to think for themselves. It's not a new trend. IQ has been around since Adam and Eve. Schools are adverse to teaching critical thinking or simple logic.

Ya hit that nail square on.👍

Older folks came up without technology, and as such can mostly find a way around when tech fails. Younger folks have not had that luxury. They are brought into technology from the start.

I'm a work'n on it.

17 hours ago, Vladimir said:

I do have a forester friend that refuses to get a stand alone GPS unit relying on his phone instead.  He has lived in a city for so long that he keeps forgetting their is not cell service everywhere. 

I have used my cell phone lots of times for location without cell service but always in conjunction with paper maps. The GPS on the phone works just fine with no cell service. I use the lat/long/elevation with a USGS Topo or MVUM map when off-roading and have never gotten lost (yet, I suppose).

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

These fools made their own bad luck.  I wish SFGate had a comments section.

They couldn't even follow Google's directions, the pin on the map shows them well off of the intended route. Had they glanced at their phone before they turned off the highway they would have seen they were going down the wrong "road".  They were supposed to take Sandy Valley Rd, 20 miles of 20 ft wide, graded and maintained road with a sign that says "Sandy Valley."  I call it a "45 MPH road."  If you go 45 MPH or faster all of the bumps disappear.  From Sandy Valley it's another 20 miles on narrow two lane paved roads to I-15 at Jean.

Instead, they took off down an unmarked, unmapped dirt track.  Had they glanced at the phone before they left the highway they would have seen they were in the wrong place.   What's really hilarious are the lemmings who blindly followed behind them.

Or they could have looked at the suggested detour and said, "Hmmm.  This will add an hour and a half on slow roads to our trip.  Maybe we should just chill here until the freeway re-opens."  Or take US 95 to I-40, it's only 30 minutes longer than taking I-15.

At least they had fairly pleasant weather, not the 110 degree summer heat.

Edited by Lou Schneider

22 hours ago, bruce t said:

I'd laugh if it wasn't so true. The sad part is, most of congress are lawyers.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Our mountain place is no where near where Maps shows it.  Whenever I give instructions I have to emphatically state that or people will go where Maps shows. Where Maps shows is behind a locked gate. Even though I gave directions to a contractor he followed Maps and the gate was open so he drove on in.  When he tried to leave the gate was locked.  Spent a few hours before someone came by and let him out.  No cell service.

Edited by Randyretired
To add no cell

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

13 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I'd laugh if it wasn't so true. The sad part is, most of congress are lawyers.

While 51% of the senate have law degrees, only 30% of house members do. Of course, education, good sense, and intelligence aren't necessarily directly linked.  

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Most folks don't realize that many places/lanes on the digital maps are placed there by people like you and I.  The only reason Pope Farms shows up on Google is because I put it there, in the proper location.  OTOH, Google shows a Godfather's Pizza on our road, in a construction fill site.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Here's a good one that I just read today.  Motorcyclist approached Titus Canyon Road in Death Valley which was barricaded and closed from recent flooding.  His mapping app said it was open so he went around the barricades and eventually got marooned and had to have a helicopter rescue!

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2023/11/motorcyclists-rescued-after-driving-closed-titus-canyon-road-due-incorrect-map-app

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Anything designed by humans is subject to errors.

BTW, Rand McNally stopped supporting RV GPS units a few years ago, now their mapping program is designed strictly for OTR truckers and boating.  If you still have a RM RV GPS, your lifetime maps is gone. https://randmcnally.com/map-updates/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

22 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Anything designed by humans is subject to errors.

BTW, Rand McNally stopped supporting RV GPS units a few years ago, now their mapping program is designed strictly for OTR truckers and boating.  If you still have a RM RV GPS, your lifetime maps is gone. https://randmcnally.com/map-updates/

I really liked the Rand McNally maps, the GPS unit was not very good and didn't last very long at all compared to the Garmin's I have had. 

Just got an iPhone and use the Carplay map or Waze in my Jeep and motorcycle. WIll have to keep an Android to use the unit I put in my new to me Truck. It won't talk to the iPhone. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 5 weeks later...