It's official

lappir

So, if any of you have been following the "When to stop fixing" post I made over a year ago, Thanks. 

Recently I may have hinted that I had found the time for me, with a post NOW!

Yesterday I visited a friend in Missouri and we exchanged the usual's and I am the new owner of a 2000/2010 Volvo 770 with the Big Cummins and the 18 speed Autoshift. 

I drove it a few weeks ago and immediately wanted it, but had to wait for one more person to either not show up or turn down their spot. They didn't show up. 

Took a few photos yesterday but have yet to upload them to the PC and have too much to do today. It will look a bit different any way, but I'll at least post the seats. WOW what a difference. 

Not sure what I will do with the 2001. Most likely part it out. I'd not want another to have the same lack of confidence in it as I do now.  Not to rehash, but I took it into a shop for a specific request and the shop decided all I needed was a new set of batteries. Didn't bother to call me before installing and I warned them if it didn't work I'd be bringing the batteries back for a full refund and wanted my old batteries. (Of course they were picked up already, but in the end it won't really matter). The rest is a long story and I shouldn't take the time right now. 

So start thinking of what you might want and I'll see if it will worth it for me to remove things (the small stuff only) before having someone remove the big parts. Will have to decide how to get it back. It certainly has a mind of it's own on when it will allow a road trip. (again long story). 

Well, off to get some things done.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Congratulations on the new truck. I hope you don't have the same trouble with the autoshift.

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

9 hours ago, aknavy said:

How are the interior door panels on it?  I need a passenger for sure, and maybe a driver.

They are good as far as I can tell. I am not close to the truck right now and won't be for several weeks and maybe a few months. I told the shop to do the work when they don't have anything else to do. 

You will be the first person I contact when I visit the truck. The biggest issue is getting them from where they are (or maybe after it's done) to the location a person needs them. 

My thought is to bring a load to the National Rally for those who want something, but that's still up in the air, as is the actual parting out. Will keep everyone informed on this post. Don't plan to advertise, except may move it to the "For sale" section if there is a need to do that. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

26 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Congratulations on the new truck. I hope you don't have the same trouble with the autoshift.

Me too. It had a rebuild of the XY shifter a few years ago, after the reman engine and new clutch was put in I think. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

8 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I would also be interested in the door panels. As I roam around for work, I might venture close enough to pick them up. Jay

Jay you will be the second person called if they become available and the first person turns down. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 5/7/2023 at 4:28 AM, lappir said:

They are good as far as I can tell. I am not close to the truck right now and won't be for several weeks and maybe a few months. I told the shop to do the work when they don't have anything else to do. 

You will be the first person I contact when I visit the truck. The biggest issue is getting them from where they are (or maybe after it's done) to the location a person needs them. 

My thought is to bring a load to the National Rally for those who want something, but that's still up in the air, as is the actual parting out. Will keep everyone informed on this post. Don't plan to advertise, except may move it to the "For sale" section if there is a need to do that. 

Rod

Sounds good, thanks!

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

• 4 weeks later...

Got a call yesterday that the box is on, the hitch is bolted down and they are putting the fenders off the Gold truck on to cover the rear axle tires. Front axle is covered by the Drom Box. 

I hope to ride down this weekend and might bring the Gold truck back closer to where I'll spend the rest of the summer till the HDT Rally. I did post a message yesterday on a Facebook page the following:

Considering the options I will have with my 2001 VNL 770.
It started out as an Owner Operators truck and then singled long and converted to an "RV". Had one of the first ET Hitches built on it when I purchased it from I believe the second owner. I've had it since the year after I attended my First National HDT Rally, I think in 2010.
There will be no hitch on it, no drom box and I think it will need an XY shifter and wiring harness replaced. I took it to a shop to do that and they said it only needed new batteries. Next time I needed it of course it wouldn't start. I'd already made up my mind to purchase a replacement by that time and was actually wanting to take it to have my drom box put on my new to me truck.
Have posted on the HDT Forum a possible "Part out" and have people interested in some inside door panels. The place that replaced the batteries expressed interest for the "Truck", but I haven't given them a price.
No current photos and while it's not yet a Million mile truck it's getting pretty close. Volvo 465HP motor, Eaton 10speed Autoshift, Singled long bare frame no bed.

I'll check today to see if it was allowed and if there are any comments. 

Doubt I will be able to actually see the New one, but am supposed to have photos sent to me today. If it's outside when I get there I may spend the night and start moving things from one truck to the other while I'm there. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm assuming you watched and are now reading what's below. 

The video is a shot of the first time I've hooked my trailer up to anything other than a truck I owned. My Cousin was kind enough to move my home for me while I'm moving from one truck to another.  I was a bit worried when he backed under it, but pleasantly surprised at how much better it looked. (at least to me). I gained a lot of information by doing this I think and will make the decision on where to cut off the frame on the truck that will be pulling my home for a long time much easier. (at least I hope so.)

After the 1 minute 40 second mark there is nothing to see. I should have cut that part before uploading, but forgot there was that portion at the end. Can't seem to cut it off now. 

As always, questions, comments, suggestions and anything else is appreciated. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

10 hours ago, durangodon said:

If you were a movie director, I'd fire you.  So, how did the story end?  Could he jackknife it without it hitting anything.  I hate it when they don't show the ending.

3 hours ago, mike5511 said:

Too close for comfort IMHO. THAT wason level ground. Ideal conditions. The real world isn’t always ideal. 

It all went fine. His umbilical had two electrical connectors. One for the "Tarp Mover" and it sort of flopped out of where we had placed it. Glad I noticed before we left the parking lot. I am not and will never be a videographer. That's why I have so few you tube things. First I never remember until the job is done and I'm not 'Recreating' it every. Second, while I will admit my mistakes if they are found, I will not usually draw attention to myself if I'm making one, except in patient care, that's a whole different ballgame. 

I don't plan on getting that close, but I do want less than the 5 to 6 feet that I've had. I might even really measure my length. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod and others.  Just a question.  You said the shop was interested in your old truck if the price was right.  Will salvagers give a reasonable price? And has anyone dealt with salvaging a vehicle?

BTW congrats on the new truck.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, 

That's yet to be determined. I haven't priced anything to anyone yet so I don't know if it will be worth it to part it out. Also not sure if I want to be the one removing things. 

As we both know Vander Haggs doesn't have much in the way of a Gen 1 or Gen II Volvo or their parts. I'm sure there are many of them still on the road though. I haven't made the call to them yet to even see if they are interested. 

From my initial post it seems the the inside door panels are what a couple people want. No one else has expressed interest in anything else. I will be moving some things from the 2001 to the 2000 and am hoping it will be an easy move. That too will be determined at a later date. I don't think I will be heading to pick it up till after the 4th of July. Too many things happening between now and the holiday. 

Appreciate your question. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 3 weeks later...

Someone inquired about this post in a PM. I thought I'd put it here, but found it in the post of jenandjon What did you do to your truck today. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

Checked on the truck today at the shop. The cab airbags and shocks are off, the exhaust is in the process of getting renewed with a return to a single stack. I have two Gen 1 Volvo's in the local area where I can get some parts from. My Gold 770 and a Brown 760. The support and exhaust stack came from the brown one and I plan to remove a portion of the cab fairings to see if they will work on the White truck (that I recently discovered used to be sort of purple). I took a photo of the door sticker and noticed it didn't say "White". Sure looks like it was a white truck to me, then I started looking a little closer. The did an awesome job in the paint booth. Didn't do the fire wall or under the cab, but everything else has a good coverage in white. I took some pictures today and will upload and post soon. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

xgD20mhl.jpg

At the tire shop. 

AiwmnVIl.jpg

Hooked up after the frame cut off. Slider all the way forward makes it a little too close maybe. Did free up the slider, but found they didn't give me much air line for the slider release. Got it tight, but didn't break (THANKFULLY). Will add that to the list of things that still need attention. 

yYQ29uzl.jpg

The cab fairings I found won't easily come off. They have been facing south for way too many years and all the fasteners are very rusted. It would be a 3 man job to remove them as a full unit and that might be pushing it a bit. Sure wish the crane  on the tire service truck still worked. It could take the place of one person, maybe. Will discuss with my mechanic. I think filling in the space between the cab and drom would look better. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

These are some clearance methods we used for tractor units pulling semi trailers on resource industry and farm “roads” and conditions:

- set 5th wheel (“hitch”) bolster pin height no lower than the top of any fenders/decks. This is the pin that attaches the 5th wheel plate to the risers. This provides enough clearance for the tractor and trailer to articulate opposite to each other over places like approaches, diagonal ditches and the world’s steepest business approaches at fuel stations.
- measure from the king pin of the trailer to the farthest point on the front corners of the trailer. Add min 6”. This is bare minimum “swing clearance”. 
- now you have the 5th wheel location on the tractor measure king pin location to the furthest rear corner stuff on the tractor in an arc. Fenders, decks, mudflaps, frame rails, chain hangers etc Check this measurement against the trailer to look for anything that would love to get itself tangled with your HDT as you turn. Adjust as needed by moving the king pin coupling location, shortie flap hangers that are angled, angled deck corners etc. 

- last is “dip clearance” which is look waaay up and allow 12” for the hinge effect of tractor going up trailer nosing down. Stick, protractor, squinty eye.

I always used a stick cut to fit and sometimes a tape measure for this part of a rig up figuring.  Computer can be substituted if doing a factory order but physically looking at it works before tangling of metal occurs.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.