What is the most unique place or thing that you have visited?

Kirk W

There is a similar thread running on another forum that I visit which got me to thinking how interesting it would be if folks would share some of the more unique things from their RV travels. To start things off, one that comes to mind was the Toilet Seat Museum in San Antonio, TX.  Barney has now passed and the museum has moved to north TX so for me it can never be the same, but I am relieved that someone was willing to preserve all of this wonderful man's work.

DKVRXU-X0AAnH5H.jpg

I asked Pam what came to her mind and her first thought was the Scandinavian Heritage Center in Minot, ND.

Casperchurch4-21-10.JPG?itok=HI5sjynI

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Witchita Hills area in Oklahoma. Nothing extraordinary, it was just a beautiful, quiet place that took me back a hundred years. Nobody around, buffalo and longhorns wandering all over the place, and some nice little fishing lakes. Not real unique, but an adventure. But unique wise- nothing in the world was more impressive to me than coming around the corner and seeing Lake Powell for the first time. And even more impressive from a plane. (sorry- did I hijack this thread?! )

Edited by RangeMaggotBob

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC.  The museum that runs.  Hundreds of old vehicles, mostly pre WWII, mostly motorcycles and things built from them.  Many are the only known examples of their kind, and they start them all the time.  I knew the founder, Dale Walksler, RIP.  His son, Matt runs it now.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

rickeieio you beat me to it. I was also going to nominate Wheels Through Time. It's not just the items in the museum but the presentation. Unique. I knew Dale as  a friend and his wife Trish. I did a lot of photographic work there and sold hundreds of prints in the store. Matt's now in charge and the museum is in good hands. FWIW there's some nice RV parks along the creek within walking distance of the museum. It's a great area. Just a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

11 hours ago, agesilaus said:

When was that? And is that the visitor center parking lot?

We were last there in 2016.   The shown parking lot is to the west side of the main parking lot, and the Trail is just beyond the fence.   Sounds like you are saying the walking trail to the base of the rock is no longer there?

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I am intrigued by pictograms and petroglyphs. I envision an ancient artist or teenage graffiti artist working for hours to create their masterpiece(s). Often on the side of sheer rock faces well above the round. The images depict the activities of their lives or conjure up speculation of extraterrestrial encounters. One of my favorites appears to depict an individual in a sleigh pulled by reindeer. This in the American dessert Southwest.  There are so many amazing sites on public lands. 

I enjoy going to Borrego Springs CA and look at all the metal sculptures in the desert something like a 130 life size pieces.  I'm leaving Lake Havasu AZ this morning and heading that way.  I haven't been there since 2016 and thought it was time for a revisit....

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

7 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

Sounds like you are saying the walking trail to the base of the rock is no longer there?

It has been a long time since we were there also but I found this report out of Casper, WY that was published in July 2021 that seems to indicate that it is still there and in use. It seems that the BLM had a visitor program there in October of 2021. As a former resident of WY and long time follower of the historic Oregon Trail, I'd sure be disappointed to hear that it was abandoned. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

We were last there in 2016.   The shown parking lot is to the west side of the main parking lot, and the Trail is just beyond the fence.   Sounds like you are saying the walking trail to the base of the rock is no longer there?

We walked all the way around the perimeter of the building. It was all fenced except the side open for the parking lot. No trail. We visited the place one other time, at least ten years ago, and walked out to the rock via the trail that was there then and all the way around the rock. But it's gone now.

I have a map showing another trail past the visitors center and down a road to the right. It was gone and had five foot high bushes all over it, I tried pushing my way thru but gave up after 20 feet or so.

Another museum we thoroughly enjoyed was the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum in Auburn, IN.

We've also enjoyed several airplane museums:  Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, AZ; Mid-America Air Museum in Liberal, KS; Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, OR; Tillamook Air Museum in Tillamook, OR.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The Silent Wings Museum in Lubbock tells the story of the gliders and their pilots who were trained to ferry materials silently behind enemy lines.  A portion of what is now Lubbock's airport was used as the training center. Silent Wings Museum

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Hobo museum in Britt, IA. We tried to visit the POW camp near there but it was closed so we visited it online--the online site is well worth visiting, though. https://www.pwcampalgona.org

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

As a former resident of WY and long time follower of the historic Oregon Trail, I'd sure be disappointed to hear that it was abandoned. 

5 hours ago, agesilaus said:

We walked all the way around the perimeter of the building. It was all fenced except the side open for the parking lot. No trail.

Thanks, guys.   I guess at this instance, we don't know for sure... Independence Rock/Oregon Trail is so historic in our country's story I'd hate to see it not be maintained.   Besides, its a great boondock location!   Wonder if anyone else has been then there recently?

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

7 hours ago, agesilaus said:

We walked all the way around the perimeter of the building. It was all fenced except the side open for the parking lot. No trail.

Maybe it's "closed for maintenance"?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Maybe it's "closed for maintenance"?

Linda

No I did it again, it was Chimney Rock in Nebraska near Scott's Bluff. I assume it is like Independence rock with pioneer graffiti

Designated the Chimney Rock National Historic Site, Chimney Rock is one of the most famous and recognizable landmarks for pioneer travelers on the Oregon, California, and Mormon Trails, a symbol of the great western migration.

Scotts Bluff was interesting tho. And Bayard City in the area has a very nice free city park, for the first night. $15/night the next two nights if you stay.