Creative Solutions to high fuel prices?

Velos

46 minutes ago, palmeris said:

They have "deals" on the app that you can only get if you use their card and added savings if you use their card too....

You'll use your Pay with GasBuddy card to purchase gas at the pump. In addition to redeeming your GasBack, the card saves you up to 25¢ per gallon. It's completely free, requires no paperwork or credit check, and is the one gas card accepted at stations nationwide.

its like TSD in that its an ACH link to a checking account....no fees... just the stupid transaction limist makes it pointless for our situation...

Can it only be linked to a checking account?  If so, that wouldn't work for us then.  And, it would be pointless for us, too, since -- when we're traveling -- the RV usually takes more than $75 to fill up, particularly at today's prices.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As everyone is noticing, their limits are really designed for people who are fueling up cars and pickups for normal daily traveling.   We normally fuel up the motorhome at 1/2 a tank (about 50 gallons) and that will run between $150-$200 or more depending upon which state we are in.   Now it could be a couple of weeks or more between fueling, or if we are doing several days travel in a row, then it might be every other day, or back-to-back days when we fuel before pulling into our overnight stop so we can head out in the morning.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

8 hours ago, LindaH said:

Haven't ever used Gas Buddy's credit card.  Never even knew they had one.

It's more debit than credit card. The payments are automatically deducted from your bank account. That's partly why I don't have one...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 11/12/2021 at 7:02 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

It's more debit than credit card. The payments are automatically deducted from your bank account. That's partly why I don't have one...

And it's also why I will not apply for a TSD card, unless I create a stand-alone bank acct. strictly for that card.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 11/11/2021 at 12:26 PM, hemsteadc said:

I have never been to a gas station that allows pumping then paying. 

They are as rare as hen's teeth.  There was still one in Addison, VT this fall.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

On 11/11/2021 at 12:26 PM, hemsteadc said:

I have never been to a gas station that allows pumping then paying.  A family on vacation should have way more than $200 at their disposal.

We have station near our cottage that allows pumping and then paying. They also leave the pumps on all night while the store is closed, but the cash option is disabled. Credit/debit cards only during those hours.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Many years ago, when it was normal to pump before paying, someone forgot to shut off the pumps one night when closing. Not realizing they were closed I pumped then couldn't pay. I went back the next morning to pay and they thanked me rather profusely for doing so. It would have been so easy to pass the word about free gas but that's not my style.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

Many years ago, when it was normal to pump before paying,

In the early 90's we were in San Antonio and ran short of gasoline so stopped at a local convenience store to fuel. I started the pump and after about 3 gallons the pump stopped as all pumps went dark, followed moments later by all lights inside. It seems that it was closing time and the employee was going home. There was another customer at a different pump who had just over 5 gallons but with the store closed, we both decided to leave and not worry about it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A couple years ago, I got a call from the county sheriff asking if I owned a certain car.  Yes, we do.  He informed me that someone driving it had just left a little country store without paying for gas.  I know that store, and the owners very well.  I went and paid, and put together a prank to pull on the offender, my wife.  She'd gassed up while chatting with another neighbor, then drove off forgetting to go inside.  The fun only lasted a short while, but was worth it.

That station still has the pumps on, expecting you to come in a pay after fueling.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

A couple years ago, I got a call from the county sheriff asking if I owned a certain car.  Yes, we do.  He informed me that someone driving it had just left a little country store without paying for gas.  I know that store, and the owners very well.  I went and paid, and put together a prank to pull on the offender, my wife.  She'd gassed up while chatting with another neighbor, then drove off forgetting to go inside.  The fun only lasted a short while, but was worth it.

That station still has the pumps on, expecting you to come in a pay after fueling.

I received a call like that some years back.  The LEO said my gray truck left without paying for diesel.   My truck used gas and was a couple hundred miles from there.  After a quick conversation we ended the call.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 11/11/2021 at 12:15 PM, hemsteadc said:

You should hear the pet names I have for people who live in podunk towns.

For some strange reason I cannot type in the reply area below a quote.

Best post ever!!!

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired