Creative Solutions to high fuel prices?

Velos

A friend of mine, non-rver, just took their first post pandemic getaway and found this spot to enjoy the fall colors :  https://tinyurl.com/u64v9x8a

If fuel prices are keeping you from getting out on the the road right now maybe you can rent your RV like a stationary cabin? 

I've seen the Air Stream ranch in California on TV before:  https://www.airstreamranch.com/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately all the high fuel prices will do is either reduce how much money our kids when get when we die or will have to put up with us when we move in with them when the money runs out. As long as our health allows us to travel, we plan to. When we bought our first diesel pickup and trailer, diesel was at $5 per gallon and we survived then.  

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Same as StarDeamer and Dutch.  Fuel prices won't keep us home.  We have learned though, that staying in one place longer nets multiple benefits.  You make more friends, might get a cheaper cg rate, more time to explore the area, and of course, less moving burns less fuel.

The summer fuel went to near $5, we did a coast to coast trip on antique motorcycles across US 50.  It was worth every penny.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I am a more frequent user of Gas Buddy with the rising prices and am more inclined to drive away from the highway to save as long as it isn't too far. With our truck I usually buy 20-30 gallons at a fill and a saving of 10¢ per gallon is only $2. Today I could have driven about a mile off of the highway to save 21¢/gallon, but when I got to thinking it would only save about $5 and so got lazy this time.☺️

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I wasn't thinking of the Gas Buddy card but the app to locate fuel base on prices.

That's how I use Gas Buddy. I wouldn't touch their card...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I've been told by merchants that the $75 is set by the vendor, not the card company.  The last several fills on my F-150, in Georgia, Tennessee, and Indiana, I've been near or over $100.  No pump shut down.

That said, when we fill with the camper, we usually walk inside with the card and ask if they'll let it run until full.  We've never been declined.  Haven't filled the "new" truck yet.  It holds 240 gal.

Often, once we're set up in a campground, I'll use something like Gas Buddy to locate cheaper fuel, and just take the truck to make a grocery run or get something to eat, and fill up at a mom/pop for much cheaper than the stations near the highway.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

"Card limits"

"To help prevent abuse and fraud, there is a $75 daily limit and a $300 weekly limit on all Pay With GasBuddy cards."

https://help.gasbuddy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021490053-Using-your-Pay-with-GasBuddy-card#h_be450c62-8be7-4dd3-a854-4d91531e04d3

Dutch

22 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

That's how I use Gas Buddy. I wouldn't touch their card...

I agree.  The less frequently my banking information is exposed to hacking, the happier I am. That being said gas buddy saved me 16 cents per gallon on 58 gallons yesterday.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

10 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

"Card limits"

"To help prevent abuse and fraud, there is a $75 daily limit and a $300 weekly limit on all Pay With GasBuddy cards."

https://help.gasbuddy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021490053-Using-your-Pay-with-GasBuddy-card#h_be450c62-8be7-4dd3-a854-4d91531e04d3

Which is the reason it doesnt work well for us as a payment method... sure you can use the app to locate stations and see the reported prices but cant really take advantage of any deals or discounts due to the  ridiculous card limits. Might be a good solution for gassers with smaller tanks, hell I couldnt get 75.00 worth of unleaded gas in our ford escape with it bone dry and also using the back seat.... but 75.00 is not so much for our diesel . 

TSD Fuel program and their open roads app is a much better solution for us diesel users... yes they also have a daily limit, it's  400 Gallons ( not $) and a daily limit of $200 cash advance , big rig friendly with lots of amenities as they are typically truck stops

I am not overly concerned with either of them being linked to an ACH checking account, as my accounts are insured against fraud through the bank and the government as most are.

8 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I've never understood pump limits.  If you have to use a legitimate CC to operate them, isn't the fuel paid for?

Gas was $5 and over years ago.  Didn't bother me then, nor now.  I'm too old to worry about fuel prices.

I don't like the pump limits but I understand why they have them.  A few years ago while we were in AZ the credit card company called to ask about charges on our card in Iowa.  Seems someone built a credit card to match ours and was buying fuel in Iowa at the same time I was charging dinner in Arizona. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

7 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

Seems someone built a credit card to match ours and was buying fuel in Iowa at the same time I was charging dinner in Arizona. 

I see.. yeah, that makes sense...and we all suffer for it.  But you just end up swiping more than once, or you go inside and tell the attendant you need a $150 worth.

Edited by hemsteadc

18 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I've never understood pump limits.  If you have to use a legitimate CC to operate them, isn't the fuel paid for?

Gas was $5 and over years ago.  Didn't bother me then, nor now.  I'm too old to worry about fuel prices.

Some intel on the pump limit

When you buy gas with a cc, the swipe validates the cc and grabs an authorization hold on a defined amount of money (amount set by the merchant).  That authorization hold locks up those dollars to ensure that the card has enough capacity to cover the purchase.  If they didn't have this process an over limit card could be used to get the pump operating then not be able to cover the purchase.

The reason $75 or $100 is used so often by the merchants is because the cc's hold merchants liable for bad purchases OVER that amount.  

IE, If the pump limit is $75 then the merchants have no liability.  If the pump limit is $400 then the merchant would be liable for fraudulent purchases that made it through at the pump.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

If you are lucky enough to have a Kroger fuel center near your location and also shop there major savings on diesel are available.  The normal 10 cents off per gallon is attainable by spending at least $100 of your grocery shopping or prescription money there.  Kroger also has the opportunity to receive 2X to 4X fuel points on selected days or items like gift cards.  I can always personally use Lowe's gift cards.  We typically amass 60 cents per gallon and occasionally hit $1.00 per gallon.  There is a 35 gallon limit.  If you do have 1000 points that is a savings of $35.   Kroger has a NEW Mastercard.  For the first full year it gives 55 cents off of each gallon if you also have at least 10 points - this amounts to 65 cents per gallon.  When we return from a trip and need maybe 150 gallons of fuel I fill in 35 gallon increments.  We may have 60 points but I only use 10 per fill.  It will take 4-5 individual purchases of fuel to reach maximum tank level.  But, with the Kroger Mastercard you can do it all at once.  Like, do 35 gallons.  Then start over at the same pump with another 35 gallons and so on.  There does not seem to be a waiting period between purchases.  Recently I saved over $100 playing this game refilling the Volvo.  Diesel is now $3.59 a gallon here and rising weekly.  I know when I get on the road next month that the Interstate stations like Flying J will be well into the $4 range.  I have enough fuel to reach my destination in Florida (888 miles - twin 150 gallon tanks) ) and still h(ave enough to get me back to Richmond VA.  I would leave FL with 169 gallons (280 - 111).  That is assuming 8 mpg which is what I can get at 60-62 mph.  At 65 to 68 I drop to 7 mpg.  Note: Florida does not have any Kroger stores or fuel stations. But, there is a Kroger fuel station just off the Interstate near Savanna, GA .  I'll fill up there and then top off when we get back to Richmond.  Next year I will cancel my current Kroger Mastercard and get a new one in my wife's name so we can start the discount program all over again.  That is provided it is still offered.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We just filled truck up last Thursday just outside of St. Louis for 3.10 tsd discount, pump price was 3.66. Checked gas buddy and the it was within .05 cents at the cheapest station. That’s not worth trying to get in to the pump then only getting to get one tank at a time full. We usually fill at truck stops whether we are hitched up or not. In the last year we have only fueled up twice at non tsd stations. Once we used cc and had to restart twice because of station limit and would not take it the third time so used debit card to finish and the limit there was 75 for debit cards. That was enough aggravation to not use a non tsd station again. No matter the price we’re going to keep buying fuel might just drive a little less but probably not. We went full time to travel and will look for lowest price but like food you have to have it. 

Albertsons/Safeway company also does this with their loyalty card program.  I alternate between shopping at the two and during the winter only fill up when one set of points is about to expired.   With just the two of use, we don't go through huge amounts of food, but the 2x and 4x specials can make a difference.   And the Safeway near us remodeled the layout of their fuel station adding diesel pumps and a great in and out for a motorhome.   We do a final fill there before putting the motorhome to bed for the winter.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

12 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I agree.  The less frequently my banking information is exposed to hacking, the happier I am. That being said gas buddy saved me 16 cents per gallon on 58 gallons yesterday.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

At $3.00/gallon, my PenFed CC rebates 15 cents per gallon with no daily or monthly limits. Gas Buddy does work well for finding the best prices to apply the rebate to though.

Dutch

The Good Sam Flying J fuel card gives you 6 cents (some 8 cents) BELOW the credit price.  Since the credit price is at least five cents higher than cash this usually amounts to a 11 cent a gallon discount.  Not much but better than nothing.  You put in your card, enter your PIN, fuel and go.  You do not have to go inside the store.

The TSD fuel program looks nice but I stopped filling out the application when it wanted my social security number.  No - ain't gonna do that.  What reason do they have for collecting that number?

Edited by RandyA

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy,  when you purchase fuel with the EFS card from TSD Logistics, you owe the fuel stop nothing.  TSD owes the money and to keep its EFS account, it will pay the bill.

Now you owe TSD.  If you do not pay, the number is a way to chase you down.  The ladies I know at TSD have shared that if you do not trust them with your number, they do not trust you with their card.

They have issued over 34,000 cards to RVers and there are no reports of folks having money issues wth TSD.

Do what you think is best for yourself.  Very many others are saving lots of money on their diesel purchases.

Edited by Trainer

46 minutes ago, RandyA said:

The Good Sam Flying J fuel card gives you 6 cents (some 8 cents) BELOW the credit price.  Since the credit price is at least five cents higher than cash this usually amounts to a 11 cent a gallon discount.  Not much but better than nothing.  You put in your card, enter your PIN, fuel and go.  You do not have to go inside the store.

The TSD fuel program looks nice but I stopped filling out the application when it wanted my social security number.  No - ain't gonna do that.  What reason do they have for collecting that number?

Many PFJ's have the same price for cash or credit. I've never been asked for a PIN with my Good Sam Swipe & Save card, but my CC usually asks for my ZIP.

Dutch

57 minutes ago, Trainer said:

Randy,  when you purchase fuel with the EFS card from TSD Logistics, you owe the fuel stop nothing.  TSD owes the money and to keep its EFS account, it will pay the bill.

Now you owe TSD.  If you do not pay, the number is a way to chase you down.  The ladies I know at TSD have shared that if you do not trust them with your number, they do not trust you with their card.

They have issued over 34,000 cards to RVers and there are no reports of folks having money issues wth TSD.

Do what you think is best for yourself.  Very many others are saving lots of money on their diesel purchases.

Thanks.  I will rethink this.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar