Fueling

Nwcid

In the past I have typically used normal fuel stations and occasionally truck stops.  I have typically avoided truck stops as they seem to have higher prices.  

Now that I have an HDT, with dual tanks, and 275 gallons total I would like some more info. 

The few times that I have used truck stops, a variety of brands, I was not able to use my CC or Debit Card at the pump.  It said I needed some other kind of card.  Do you know what card I might need, and how to get one?  I was able to go in and pay with the clerk, but I was trying to be efficient since I am RV and trucks are working. 

I do recall seeing a thing about some kind of discount card a while back.  Is this still a thing?  If so is there a link or details?

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

Look up the TSD discount card. It is an ACH debit card that will give you a large discount at the truck stops. The best discounts right now are TA and Petro stations. Take a look here:

TSD RV fuel program | Facebook

To see what they offer. We set up another account just for this and keep enough in that account to pay for the fuel we buy on a trip

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

When not towing, I have found fuel cheaper than the TSD program, but its at places like Qwik Trip or a Murphys, Costco, or Sams.  Pumps are slower, but sometimes 2-3 cents a gallon is worth it when you pump 200gl at a time. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

When not towing, I have found fuel cheaper than the TSD program, but its at places like Qwik Trip or a Murphys, Costco, or Sams.  Pumps are slower, but sometimes 2-3 cents a gallon is worth it when you pump 200gl at a time. 

We tend to do the same.  I can usually run three days between fill-ups, so look for cheap fuel on days two or three.  It's not unusual to find a savings of near $1.00/gal by getting away from the interstate a couple miles.  $.60-$.80 is more common though. It's an inconvenience filling one side then turning the truck around to fill the other tank, but heck, we're retired.  I chalk it up as entertainment.  Oftenwe fuel after we un-hook, and make a grocery/dining run of it too.

Sometimes there are just no stations around that accept the discount cards.  We keep our truck 1/4 mile from a major interstate, yet it's 25 miles to the nearest truck stop.  I can buy fuel locally for about $.60 less.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I prefer to fill my truck at truck stops or card lock stations where there is a slave pump to fill both tanks at once.  The best choice for doing this that I have found so far is the TSD fuel program GeorgiaHybrid mentioned.  It allows pay at the pump and usually gives a discount.  Some discounts a very good and some are just so, so.  It will work pretty much anywhere, but only certain contracted stations provide discounts.  They have an app that lets you see which stations have discounts and what the discounts are.   

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Similar to the others, depends where I am. I have the TSD card mentioned above, best part is it does not cost anything if you don’t use it. It is handy along interstates where the chain truck stops push up the prices. The discounts with the TSD card are currently less than they have been in the past, just another side effect of what is going on in the world.

Small town rural truck stops have fair pricing most times, at least from what I have seen.

One of the big benefits of having an HDT is the ability to shop fuel prices. Gas buddy, the TSD app, or other sources can give you price information for where you are traveling so you can pick your fuel stops. Keep in mind crossing a state line can make a big difference in the price of fuel.

One thing I really don’t miss from traveling with an F350 is the 250 mile range. All our stops would end up planned around buying fuel.

Edited by Moresmoke
Dyslexic tendencies

I have researched the TDS card and it looks like the way to go.  

With my new truck I can make over 2000 miles on a tanks so that should last a while.  There is a semi-local place here that is usually way under everyone else and they have truck pumps.  I will likely do most of my fueling there, would be even better if they are part of TDS.

My dually has a slip tank so towing I can get about 800 miles.  

Of course in my rigs a 1/2 tank is an empty tank......

Edited by Nwcid

If I'm cutting across country on 2 lanes I will try to hit a small town CO-OP. There is actually one in Illinois that I will hit every time.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

If I'm cutting across country on 2 lanes I will try to hit a small town CO-OP. There is actually one in Illinois that I will hit every time.

My brother is a big fan of the Co-op in his town. I tried to use it, but to  be able to fill on one card it has to be their card. Otherwise the pumps shut off every $50 to $75 and that's a pain. I got their card, but they wouldn't offer online billing so the bill stayed in my mail box for  a couple months and when I got it there were extra charges on it for non payment. I tried to explain I only get mail a few times a year, but they offered nothing so that card went into the shredder. I'll fill up the motorcycle or car at the Co-op, but not the truck. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Anyone else using a tcs card?  Apparently after hearing of the TDS discount card I inadvertently applied for the tcs card.  It is similar in that it offers discounts at certain stations, however I believe the main difference is that you need to preload the card rather than use it as a debit card, as does the TDS.

I have preloaded but have not used it yet.  Hoping to see similar savings.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

I see 3 different cards being referenced on this thread. TSD, TDS and TCS. I have the TSD and last year it was great at Loves. Now it appears the best discount is at TA and Petro but last time I filled up at TA is was a very small discount. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I see 3 different cards being referenced on this thread. TSD, TDS and TCS. I have the TSD and last year it was great at Loves. Now it appears the best discount is at TA and Petro but last time I filled up at TA is was a very small discount. 

The discounts are small everywhere right now. The truck stop operators can offer discounts because they work the futures markets when buying fuel wholesale. With the rapid drop in fuel prices last spring, it became much harder to work the market.

On the plus side fuel is still relatively cheap right now so we can live with a smaller discount. Hopefully some of these companies got cheap futures locked in when they had the chance.

One discount card not yet mentioned is the Good Sam - Pilot/Flying J RV card.  Not a huge discount, but something may be better than nothing.

6 hours ago, Twotoes said:

The TA Petro by us near Florence SC is showing a .63 discount which is one of the highest discounts I have seen. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

10 hours ago, lappir said:

My brother is a big fan of the Co-op in his town. I tried to use it, but to  be able to fill on one card it has to be their card. Otherwise the pumps shut off every $50 to $75 and that's a pain. I got their card, but they wouldn't offer online billing so the bill stayed in my mail box for  a couple months and when I got it there were extra charges on it for non payment. I tried to explain I only get mail a few times a year, but they offered nothing so that card went into the shredder. I'll fill up the motorcycle or car at the Co-op, but not the truck. 

Rod 

OH yea. I pay cash there. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 minute ago, jenandjon said:

OH yea. I pay cash there. 

This is a unattended site, so no paying cash, even if they are present in the office. They say it's a different system or account. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We use TSD card and strictly truck stops. We plan our fuel stops based in best discount through the app. 

Companies vary but we always save more than any non truck stop. Recently the savings have been around .60 or so off cash price. But we  saw well over $1 last spring. 

Were FJ GS users before. .08c discount.  No more. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I have been following this.  I also did some looking online.

I am on the FB group.  I went to the website and got to the point where it wanted my banking information.  

I have seen a lot of people suggest setting up a checking account specifically to tie to this card.  How do you manage your card/payment/bank info?

I can easily add a free checking account to my current banking. 

46 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

I am on the FB group.  I went to the website and got to the point where it wanted my banking information.  

I have seen a lot of people suggest setting up a checking account specifically to tie to this card.  How do you manage your card/payment/bank info?

It's not an option. You're required to connect the card to your checking account. With the TSD card, the way it works is to debit the fuel charge directly from your account. That's how they get the discount cash price. Jay

5 hours ago, Nwcid said:

Just for peace of mind I use a separate checking account. When I buy fuel, or know I am going to, I just use my bank app to move some money to that account. It usually takes TSD a day or two to debit the account.

23 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

It's not an option. You're required to connect the card to your checking account. With the TSD card, the way it works is to debit the fuel charge directly from your account. That's how they get the discount cash price. Jay

What is not an option?  

It can only pull from my "main" checking account, not a checking account set up just to use with this card?  

How would they know, and why would they care what checking account I use?

16 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

What is not an option?  

It can only pull from my "main" checking account, not a checking account set up just to use with this card?  

How would they know, and why would they care what checking account I use?

"It's not an option" to use anything but a checking account to fund this card. Of course they don't care what account. I myself have a "throw away" account for just this sort of transaction. Jay

6 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

"It's not an option" to use anything but a checking account to fund this card. Of course they don't care what account. I myself have a "throw away" account for just this sort of transaction. Jay

Ok, that is why I was confused.  The only type of account I had mentioned was a checking account and you said, "It's not an option"

I was asking how many people use their main account vs setting up a secondary checking just for this card.  

It sounds like most set up a separate account to use with this card.  Sounds like I will do the same. 

2 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

Ok, that is why I was confused.  The only type of account I had mentioned was a checking account and you said, "It's not an option"

I was asking how many people use their main account vs setting up a secondary checking just for this card.  

It sounds like most set up a separate account to use with this card.  Sounds like I will do the same. 

Sorry for any confusion. There seemed to be a concern about connecting a checking accountto the card. I don't know of any other way to do it. Lots of times online I/we misinterpret things, but eventually we occasionally get it right. Not the same as face to face and even then it's not perfect. Jay